Omnibus/OHC Graphic Novel Collectors discussion

Comic Reading Discussion > Top Five Spider-Man Stories?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Relstuart | 2926 comments Mod
Multiple sources indicate Spider-Man is the most commonly known/popular Marvel character in the world. Some of this may be due to the animated TV series that was incredibly popular and retold many major Spider-man stories from the comic books. There have been six movies with Spider-Man in the title and he appeared in two other Marvel movies in the past few years.

None of the success on TV or in the movies would have been possible without the foundation laid in the comic book universe. What five stories from the comic books stand out as your personal favorites?

message 2: by David (new)

David Norville | 69 comments A little off topic but I think the reason he is so popular is he is less dark than batman and can be put forward as cute and cuddly so to speak for kids as young as 3 and 4 up to adults.

I haven't read too much spiderman and mostly the older stuff but

1) If this be my destiny
2) Man on a rampage
3) Avengers annual vs Thanos with the Thing
4) Spiderman no more
5) Death of Gwen Stacy

message 3: by Relstuart, Mod+ (last edited Aug 13, 2018 07:12AM) (new)

That is a smart comment about popularity, I think Spider-Man is very versatile from a story telling perspective because you can write a very light hearted story or very grim story. Batman is usually more of grim character which is in contrast to his main villain, the Joker.

I haven't read as much of Spider-Man as I'd like so my list probably misses some important great stories. I did enjoy Spider-Man in the New Avengers by Bendis. I remember laughing out loud at some of his banter.

The Death of the Stacy's
Kraven's Last Hunt
Spider-Man No More

I need to read Loab and Sale's Spider-Man Blue. I've heard good things.

Blindzider, I know you are a big Spider-Man fan. I am looking forward to your thoughts. :)

message 4: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Blindzider | 3252 comments Mod
There are quite a few, just some off the top of my head:

His origin story (Amazing Fantasy 15)
That first "final battle" with Green Goblin after Norman Osborn finds out who Spider-Man is.
The Death of Gwen Stacy
Kraven's Last Hunt
The Kid who Collects Spider-Man
Nothing can stop the Juggernaut
"The Conversation" by JMS, where Aunt May finds out Peter is Spider-Man

message 5: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Blindzider wrote: "There are quite a few, just some off the top of my head:

His origin story (Amazing Fantasy 15)
That first "final battle" with Green Goblin after Norman Osborn finds out who Spider-Man is.
The Deat..."

I don't know that I have read The Conversation. It sounds good - is it in a oversized collection?

Did you pick up the Kraven's Last Hunt Deluxe? I have an older standard size hardcover.

message 6: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Blindzider | 3252 comments Mod
The only one I know of is "the best of Spider-Man" series with 5 volumes that covers JMS' whole run.

I'd like to get that Kraven OHC and plan to but just don't have the cash right now.

message 7: by Roberto (new)

Roberto Gutierrez | 7 comments Everything that has been said is good, the only one I would add is superior spiderman. Although is not a traditional spiderman.

message 8: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Roberto wrote: "Everything that has been said is good, the only one I would add is superior spiderman. Although is not a traditional spiderman."

I enjoyed that story too and I enjoyed Superior Foes of Spider-Man as well though that is villain focused rather than Spider-man focused. :)