What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 80s Science-Fiction Book (manta shaped ship, people turn into animals and wind)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jae'Than (new)

Jae'Than Reichel | 7 comments I took out a book from the book mobile 25 years ago, and have never been able to track it down again.

It was a sci-fi novel where people had three forms: human, animal, and wind. They could stay in the wind form forever, but had a limited amount of time in the others.

There was an advanced spaceship that looks like a manta-ray or a sting ray.

That's all that I can remember, any help would be appreciated.

message 2: by Jae'Than (new)

Jae'Than Reichel | 7 comments To the best of my recollection, the cover had a photo of the manta? shaped ship on it.

message 3: by Jae'Than (new)

Jae'Than Reichel | 7 comments May have been late 70s as well.

message 4: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1247 comments I can't be much help, I don't recognize the book but...was it a specific animal form they could take or any animal? I'm trying to think of keywords to search by but I can't think of anything specific enough to be useful with the info you have.

message 5: by Jae'Than (new)

Jae'Than Reichel | 7 comments I think they could choose the animal they turned into. Thanks for the help!

message 6: by Trilobyte (new)

Trilobyte | 159 comments Not read it, but it might be the "of man and manta" trilogy Omnivore

message 7: by Jae'Than (new)

Jae'Than Reichel | 7 comments Bumping this. Note: It is not by Timothy Zahn or Piers Anthony.

message 8: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 399 comments Just possibly The Silkie by AE van Vogt?

Not wind, but the Silkies have a "spaceship" flying form as well as human and fishlike/aquatic forms, and later on in the book find other Silkies who can change into anything.

message 9: by Jae'Than (last edited Jun 22, 2021 07:14AM) (new)

Jae'Than Reichel | 7 comments Looks interesting, but this isn't it. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Do you remember who the main character was? Male or female?

Was this book for kids, teens, or adults?

message 11: by Jae'Than (new)

Jae'Than Reichel | 7 comments Main character was male, it was a book for adults.

message 12: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4326 comments Someone has suggested Wind Dancers on scifi.stackexchange.com.