Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Guesses Anyone?---Paul Jackson Pollock

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Aug 12, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Heather | 8544 comments __________________was born in Wyoming....the fifth and youngest son.
His father's work as a surveyor would force them to move repeatedly around the Southwest in subsequent years, until, when ____________ was aged nine, his father abandoned the family, only to return when ___________ himself had left home. The West of ____________'s childhood provided a tough upbringing, but he grew to love nature - animals and the expanse of the land - and while living in Phoenix he discovered Native American art.

_______________ attended the Manual Arts High School in Los Angeles, where he was introduced to theosophical ideas which prepared him for his later interests in Surrealism and psychoanalysis. Two of _____________'s older brothers also pursued careers as artists, and it was their encouragement which lured him to New York.

In New York ______________ was attracted to Old Masters and began to study mural painting.

During much of [that time] ___________ lived with his brothers and was at times so poor that he had to work as a janitor and steal food to survive.

____________ remained bullishly confident in his art. ________ was introduced to [art teacher], and the meeting blossomed into an enduring friendship between the two men. [art teacher] is said to have remarked that _____________ needed to work more from nature, to which ___________ famously replied, "I don't paint nature, I am nature."

______________ never really lost his interest in figurative imagery - as he once put it, "I'm very representational some of the time, and a little all of the time. But when you're painting out of your unconscious, figures are bound to emerge."

In its edition of August 8th, [year], Life magazine ran a feature article about ____________ that bore this question in the headline: "Is he the greatest living painter in the United States?"
The famous...paintings that he began to produce...represent one of the most original bodies of work of the century. At times they could suggest the life-force in nature itself, at others they could evoke man's entrapment - in the body, in the anxious mind, and in the newly frightening modern world.

In [year], ___________ began visiting a Jungian analyst...And his analyst encouraged him to create drawings. These would later feed his paintings, and they shaped __________'s understanding of his pictures not only as outpourings of his own mind, but expressions that might stand for the terror of all modern humanity living in the shadow of nuclear war.

Later, a series of influences came together to guide________ to his mature style: years spent painting realist murals...showed him the power of painting on a large scale; Surrealism suggested ways to describe the unconscious; and Cubism guided his understanding of picture space.

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Marsden Hartley?

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 386 comments Jackson Pollock?

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Go Connie! Yes, it’s Jackson Pollock.

message 5: by Heather (last edited Aug 12, 2018 04:19PM) (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Well, Geoffrey said they were difficult so I tried to not be so obscure but now it only took you guys three hours! I’m going to be a bit more discrete.

message 6: by Heather (last edited Aug 12, 2018 04:22PM) (new)

Heather | 8544 comments I almost named this topic "I like to drink" but then I don't think I would have to say anything else for you to guess it.

message 7: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 386 comments I was thinking of Thomas Hart Benton at first, but he wasn't born in Wyoming.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Wow, you said you keep up on art history, and even know where artists are born? I’m impressed!

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 386 comments Heather wrote: "Wow, you said you keep up on art history, and even know where artists are born? I’m impressed!"

Oh no, Heather! I use Google to check out my guesses. I'm no expert on art history.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Connie wrote: "Heather wrote: "Wow, you said you keep up on art history, and even know where artists are born? I’m impressed!"

Oh no, Heather! I use Google to check out my guesses. I'm no expert on art history."

You can read the spoiler, too. It has the link where I got my information. I don't know if you knew that.