Advanced Copies for Review & Book Giveaways discussion

Group Discussion > Amazon Pulling Posted Reviews?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but Amazon has recently removed some of my book reviews - even when I bought the book on Amazon - because it thinks the authors and I are trying to "game the system". Have you had this happen?

message 2: by G (new)

G (keenreader30) | 31 comments I haven't yet, but i know that has been happening to a lot of people lately.

message 3: by Adam (new)

Adam Gulledge (agentbj09) | 5 comments Heard of it happening, but haven't seen it. I'll wager they're not looking at the reviews themselves, though. Most of Amazon runs off algorithms these days.

message 4: by BookAddict (new)

BookAddict | 8 comments Yes, it happened to me. There have been many discussions about it in various authors' groups. Based on my experience and input from several readers, I wrote a blog post which you might find helpful. I wish you luck in getting your reviews reinstated!

http://bookaddictromance.blogspot.com...

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Davis (planetlazy) | 6 comments Yes, I have had several reviews deleted, but I think it's because the reviewers didn't post essential information such as "I downloaded this book for free" or "I'm a book reviewer who received this book as a gift and am writing an honest review". Actually, I had one review deleted because of this, but it magically reappeared because they added that they had downloaded it for free (previously they didn't say this).

message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Davis (planetlazy) | 6 comments BookAddict wrote: "Yes, it happened to me. There have been many discussions about it in various authors' groups. Based on my experience and input from several readers, I wrote a blog post which you might find helpful..."

Nice post! Very detailed. I think Amazon has an algorithm in place and some bots making decisions that are flawed and hurting honest authors who just want to get their work out there and reviewed. It's all random, and the best way to deal with it is, like you posted in your blog, to e-mail customer support diligently and harass them until they have to turn off the bots and have a real person respond to your problem

message 7: by BookAddict (new)

BookAddict | 8 comments Ryan wrote: "BookAddict wrote: "Yes, it happened to me. There have been many discussions about it in various authors' groups. Based on my experience and input from several readers, I wrote a blog post which you..."

Thanks Ryan. Yes, it would be nice to have humans involved. I know there are abuses, but a human could more readily determine if a review is incentivised or genuine.

message 8: by Joel (new)

Joel Bresler Authors I know have expressed concern that, if they complain, Amazon might do something to sabotage their books. Sounds a bit far-fetched, though I suppose they could pull even more reviews or de-emphasize the books somehow.

message 9: by BookAddict (new)

BookAddict | 8 comments Joel wrote: "Authors I know have expressed concern that, if they complain, Amazon might do something to sabotage their books. Sounds a bit far-fetched, though I suppose they could pull even more reviews or de-e..."

Amazon can do anything it wants but I'm not sure what incentive they would have to target an author, unless the author violated ToS. From a reader perspective it's a guessing game to follow their fluid guidelines, so maybe it's not much better for authors.