YA BookClub discussion

August 18 > Challenges

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harley (new)

Harley (projectbells) | 19 comments Mod
Hi group!
I was wondering if any of you would like to participate in a reading challenge this August!
Comment down below with any suggestions about what kind of books, how many books and what kind of time frame you would like to, or be willing to, participate in.

Examples: 24 hr readathon (reading basically nonstop for 24 hours), 8 for the 8th (8 books in the 8th month), 100 pages a day for the rest of the month, etc.

Have a lovely day, reader fam
Bella xx

message 2: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments A 24 hour readathon sounds fun!

message 3: by Rex (new)

Rex Rainbow | 2 comments sounds like 24 hours of paper cuts and blearyness, im down for it

message 4: by Harley (new)

Rex,

Wow, lol, mate you're going to enjoy it! U better stay up for the whole 24 hours this time though! (*bleariness)

P.s. guys, I do actually know Rex, I'm not just being rude to a stranger, this guy is my friend.

message 5: by Harley (new)

Hey Madeline, Sounds great! What days/times do you think would be suitable for you?

message 6: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments I'm free on Wednesday the 22nd. Are you in the US? I'm in the UK.

message 7: by Harley (new)

Rex and I live in Australia and I think Prachi lives in India.
However, doing a 24 hour readathon means non-stop reading, which we unfortunately can't do in school, so do you have a free weekend at all?

message 8: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments I'd love to participate, but I can't do a 24 hour readathon sadly:( Have a toddler and a full time job to cope with..lol! Also, I'm currently living and working in the UK, but might be moving in October to Europe or India- not confirmed yet :D

Can I just read as much as I can on the date we select, instead of committing for 24 hours? I'll give you guys a total count of how many hours I did manage to read..we need to pick a book too! haha

message 9: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments How about a different challenge? Maybe 4 books in 4 weeks.

message 10: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments Yeah, I can do that. I already have 3 books that I need to finish before the end of the month- two from my summer reading challenge and 1 that I need to review an ARC for. I could add a YA as the fourth book to read- I recently bought Children of Blood and Bones, so maybe that? What say everyone?

If we all agree, then we can decide on a start date, and list the books that all of us are planning on reading, and then keep giving updates on where we are by the last date! :)

message 11: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments How about we start next Monday?

message 12: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments Sure, I can start any day😊

message 13: by Harley (new)

Could we start the week after? If so, Rex and I will be able to participate.

Also, add any books that you plan on reading in the next few weeks to the group bookshelf.

message 14: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments Yeah sure.. any day is ok with me .. just let me know the deets😊once I know when we are starting , I will add my YA selection to the book shelf😊

message 15: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments Monday the 27th then?

message 16: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments Yep I’m in😊

message 17: by Harley (new)

Sounds great!

message 18: by Rex (new)

Rex Rainbow | 2 comments I'm in

message 19: by Harley (new)

I've started a challenge for us in the Challenges section of our group. If you wish to participate, all I think you need to do is to join and put down that you wish to read 4 books.

message 20: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments I've joined in! So excited!:) Wonder which book I'll start with! :D

message 21: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments So, have we all started today? I have a sort of tentative list of what I want to read these 4 weeks- because to be honest, that's all I'll be able to read I think :D So I'm wondering if it is OK if not all my books will be YA? My TBR for this week and the first 3 weeks of Sep consist of 1 non fiction, 2 YA and 1 book of essays that hopefully will be delivered to me by 4th of Sep- will that be OK? This is my current tentative list that I aim to tackle:

27th Aug week: 21 Lessons for the 21st Century (Non Fiction)
03rd Sep week: Ready Player One (YA)
10th Sep week: I'd Rather be Reading (Non fiction, collection of essays)
17th Sep week: Now this is the one that is still tentative- maybe Children of Blood and Bone or something else- I haven't decided yet, but this one will be a YA one

Would love to hear what everyone else has planned to read for their challenge! :) All the best! :D

message 22: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments Sounds great Prachi! Tell me what 21 Lessons is like when you've finished, I might read it. 😀

I'm going to read:
Tower of Dawn
Russia (nonfiction)
Maze Runner
Maze Runner 2/ ACOTAR

message 23: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments Madeline wrote: "Sounds great Prachi! Tell me what 21 Lessons is like when you've finished, I might read it. 😀

I'm going to read:
Tower of Dawn
Russia (nonfiction)
Maze Runner
Maze Runner 2/ ACOTAR"

I like your list too Madeline! Well, I am struggling to finish 21 lessons - not because it isn't interesting but because I haven't been reading as much as I had planned to last week. Sigh :) I think I'll finish it sometime mid week. I wonder how everyone else is getting along :)

message 24: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments I just finished last week's book... Now on to Russia

message 25: by Harley (new)

Prachi wrote: "So, have we all started today? I have a sort of tentative list of what I want to read these 4 weeks- because to be honest, that's all I'll be able to read I think :D So I'm wondering if it is OK if..."

Hey guys!
Love both of your lists. Other commitments and events have been taking up so much of my time this past week and it's annoying because I've really been looking forward to reading!
Also, thought I'd share my goal TBR for this challenge:
1. Perks of Being a Wallflower
2. The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
4. The Bane Chronicles

They're all YA books that I'm really excited to read. Number 2 has amazing reviews and it sounds like a really great YA contemporary novel. The others are well known, aside from number 4, which is a companion novel for the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.

Read hard guys!
Bella xx

message 26: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments Is the Mortal Instruments good? I read City of Bones but I kind of found the characters annoying, though Bane was a good character.

message 27: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments All the best Isabella! Your list looks impressive too! :)

I finally finished 21 lessons and Madeline- I enjoyed this book too. It is shorter than his other two books and has some of the same concepts, but still, I just love all the facts in there and the way he writes non fiction. Not boring at all!

Now on to Ready Player One! lol

message 28: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments I've added it to my TBR Prachi!

message 29: by Harley (new)

Madeline wrote: "Is the Mortal Instruments good? I read City of Bones but I kind of found the characters annoying, though Bane was a good character."

Madeline, I can't recommend it enough!

The Mortal Instruments is my favourite series of all time! City of Bones was Cassandra Clare's first ever novel, but it only improved from there, in my opinion.

If you want to read a book where the characters are annoying, read The Selection series by Kiera Cass. I loved to hate it. America, the main character, is the most annoying person I've ever met, but I love to hate the book. She's infuriating!

message 30: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments I did start reading The Section a few years ago, but I might read it again in future.

message 31: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments I finished my second book of the challenge- Ready Player One earlier this week, and really enjoyed it. Now on to the book of essays on readers and their reading now- this is a small one, so might be a bit of a cheat, but I'm lagging already! hahah

message 32: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments I finished two books this weekend- although they were shortish books I think :)

Has anyone read City of Ghosts yet? I enjoyed it a lot :)

message 33: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments Is that YA? The blurb sounds good

message 34: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments It’s categorised as middle grade, but quite interesting😊

message 35: by tish (new)

tish Hey guys! Have you all been receiving notifications for discussions and challanges? I've been active but haven't seen anything that has been happening eek. Is there an option to turn on group notifications?
I'm Latisha by the way - Bella's friend irl

message 36: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments I can't seem to find how to turn any notifications on

message 37: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments Yeah, I get notifications now- at least when Madeline and Isabelle write something, I get the notifications. There is also a small box at the bottom of the comment box that is checked for me, which says, Notify me when people reply- can you see that, Latisha?

On a separate note, 2 more days to go! How is everyone faring? I finished my challenge, but I think I cheated with the length of the books , I don't know. I am reading Children of Blood and Bone now, but I'm not sure if I'll finish it by this weekend- lets see :)

message 38: by Harley (last edited Sep 22, 2018 02:54AM) (new)

Hey Latisha, great to see you here!

About notifications, if you're friends with the other members of the group, you'll receive a notification that they have posted here, but otherwise, you'll only get notified for posts that are replying to your own as long as you've checked the small box at the bottom of the comments box that Prachi was talking about.

I've been so busy with school, work and family commitments that I've had absolutely no chance to read during this challenge!

Our next challenge, however, I hope to be much more active. If we could start one that goes into the school holidays starting soon, that would be great. However, this challenge, Perks of a Wallflower and the Bane Chronicles have been great books. I would recommend Perks of a Wallflower, it's so different to anything I've ever previously read, but for me, it's been so slow to read!

message 39: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  | 3 comments Anyone interested in doing 4 books in 4 weeks or 24 hr readathon im down! Starting a week?

message 40: by tish (new)

tish Yeah, if you guys are available we could possibly do a 24 hour readathon Saturday 6th to Sunday 7th of October at whatever time?

message 41: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments I'll have to opt out of a 24 hour readathon guys :) My toddler just wont let me read all day..hahah

message 42: by tish (new)

tish That's all good Prachi. I won't be doing the full 24 hours for health reasons but I just see it as a day to try to read when you are able - even an hour total counts!

message 43: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments Alright then, I'm up for it :) I'll probably get just 2 hours in, tops, if its a weekday, and maybe a little more if we choose a Saturday or Sunday :) Let me know which day we choose.

On a separate note, do you guys want to read a book together? We could choose a book based on the theme of the season or maybe horror for Halloween or something, and read it together? Like a BOTM? It has to be YA though..lol

message 44: by Harley (new)

Great idea Prachi! If you or anyone else has a good idea about a horror book we could all read together, feel free to share. I haven't got any on my bookshelf currently that I want to read, but what about Victoria Schwab's City of Ghosts? It should be a short-ish read. The only other books I can think of are Eliza and her monsters by Francesca Zappia and Little Monsters by Kara Thomas. I'd have to go out and buy them, but if you guys already have any, please share.

message 45: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 24 comments I've already read City of Ghosts and I agree it is a short read, but totally ok if the others are interested to read this one together:) I can just add in my thoughts too. I haven't heard about the other two books you mentioned, but the descriptions sounded quite eerie- I'll have to request for it from the library or buy it on my kindle too:) I just borrowed 'Good Omens' by Neil Gaiman and Terry Practchett from the library today, but its just categorised as Fantasy. Maybe we can wait for the others to comment and then decide or vote unanimously? :)

message 46: by Madeline (new)

Madeline | 17 comments I'm really busy at the moment, but I'll join in with anything in a couple of months. GCSE year is so busy!