Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Shaun Tan
This topic is about Shaun Tan
Language & Translation Issues > Question for Chinese-speaking member

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14852 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

This Chinese edition of a book by Shaun Tan was titled 'lost'. With a little help from Google Translate I managed to change it to 失物招领 , but I'm not sure if the last character is correct.

Also, even though on the book cover it says The Lost Thing, I believe this is a translation of the book Lost & Found (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...), which includes Tan's The Lost Thing and The Red Tree, and The Rabbits by John Marsden (also seeing the page count - 32 vs. 199 pages).

Can anyone confirm if 1) the Chinese title is correct like this, and/or 2) whether the book may be combined with Lost & Found?

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Linda (last edited Aug 14, 2018 09:09PM) (new)

Linda (lindalanz) | 154 comments I don't speak Chinese, but I can recognize some of the characters (and thus their meanings) from knowing Japanese. According to WorldCat, it is indeed a translation of The Lost Thing.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/shi-wu-...

Your title was correct. I added the transliteration and combined it with The Lost Thing.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14852 comments Thanks, Lindoula. But The Lost Thing is only 32 pages, and this Chinese edition has 199.

According to Google Translate, 失物招领 means Lost and Found.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindalanz) | 154 comments OK, but the ISBN doesn't lie. Unless WorldCat's data is mistaken, it's the Chinese translation of The Lost Thing.

I think the 199 page count must be wrong, actually, because every site I can find about this book - like this one, for example - shows 32 pages. I'll correct the page count.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14852 comments Thanks for that link.

Yes, it would appear to be The Lost Thing, but the first review mentions (care of Google Translate) that it is part of a collection Lost and Found and that the other two titles are The Red Tree and The Rabbits. It would also explain the thick spine, much thicker than my edition of The Lost Thing, which has 32 pages.

So I would still like someone who actually speaks Chinese to look at this.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindalanz) | 154 comments I agree that a Chinese speaker should look at it. I would be hesitant to trust Google Translate here, since it doesn't have a great track record with East Asian languages.

> It would also explain the thick spine, much thicker than my edition of The Lost Thing, which has 32 pages.

But it wouldn't explain why the Chinese cover says "The Lost Thing" in English on it. Or why the illustration on the cover is the same as for most of the other language editions except for the title being in Chinese.

I have no stake in this - it doesn't matter to me which one it truly is - but I can't help but feel that you're trying too hard to make it *not* be "The Lost Thing."

Hopefully a Chinese speaker can chime in and clear it up for us.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14852 comments Lindoula wrote: "But it wouldn't explain why the Chinese cover says "The Lost Thing" in English on it. Or why the illustration on the cover is the same as for most of the other language editions except for the title being in Chinese."

Agreed, but I thought it could be because it is one of the titles included, and the other covers could be within the book. But you are probably right.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

message 8: by Lei (last edited Aug 20, 2018 07:57AM) (new)

Lei (wfsm) | 69 comments Sorry for the late reply. The Chinese name is 失物招领 and it should be combine with The Lost Thing. According to the Chinese book information site, Douban, its a 32-page graphics book for Children.

Amazon.cn doesn’t have an entry, I might check out some library site for more detailed information, and I’ll correct the Chinese information as soon as I can.

Please send me via in-site message if you have any Chinese book issues, I’ll do my best to correct them.

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 14852 comments Thank you for confirming, Lei :)

Lindoula had found this: https://www.amazon.cn/dp/B0092LZ29M

Thank you in advance for any extra information.

message 10: by Lei (new)

Lei (wfsm) | 69 comments Thank you for the information, I have edited the details and change them to Chinese

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindalanz) | 154 comments Thanks, Lei!