Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta Available -- YA, mystery, romance, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by F.T. (last edited Dec 26, 2018 12:28AM) (new)

F.T. Zahra | 14 comments Hi, guys.

I'm a writer myself – currently writing a YA mystery/revenge-thriller, but also dabble in sci-fi and fantasy.

I've been looking to gain experience in beta reading. My preferences are YA, Mystery, Thriller, some types of sci-fi and some fantasy (though I'd prefer the sci-fi and fantasy books to be YA). I love romance as a subplot. I'd also like to know where you're at with your novel (ie: what draft), what you'd like me to focus on, etc.

I wouldn't call myself harsh, per se, but I'm honest. If something isn't working for me, I'll point it out. I'll look at the main things -- plot, characterisation, story flow -- but if there's anything in specific you'd like me to focus on, do let me know. I prefer to work with Google Docs.

Contact: Send the title, genre, summary (mention what draft it is), word count and the first two chapters of your manuscript to fatimalikesbooks@gmail.com , or PM me. Eager to read your works. Keep in mind that I'm willing to prioritise those interested in a swap, for I myself would like some feedback on my manuscript.

Warmly,
Zahra

message 2: by Evette (new)

Evette | 43 comments I'm not a huge fan of google docs. Is there any other format that you are open to using or is it strictly good docs?

Thanks

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha | 82 comments Since you are interested in a swap, you might consider giving a blurb of your own book. :)

message 4: by F.T. (last edited Aug 13, 2018 11:54PM) (new)

F.T. Zahra | 14 comments Evette wrote: "I'm not a huge fan of google docs. Is there any other format that you are open to using or is it strictly good docs?

Thanks"

Evette what do you have in mind? I find Google Docs easier since I can leave comments, etc :)

message 5: by F.T. (new)

F.T. Zahra | 14 comments Martha oh, is that allowed?

message 6: by Martha (new)

Martha | 82 comments Why, yes! In fact, it is encouraged. You aren't selling a book here, but you are trying to convince someone they want to read it. ;) You'll get a better match if you & your swap partner think the other person's book sounds interesting. :)

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Would you be interested in a classic mystery/thriller? "The Puzzlemaker"

After 10 years service as a cryptographer with MI6 during the cold war, the extremely shy and reclusive George Withers becomes editor and compiler of the Sunday Times crossword.
30 years later and now in his 60's, an old MI6 colleague asks him to place a code within the Sunday Times cryptic crossword puzzle. Unknown to him, this results in a number of gruesome deaths. The father of one of the victims discovers the puzzle maker had something to do with his son's death, and goes on the hunt. Now George has to solve his own puzzle to save his own life.

It can be picked up here:http://www.brianchristophernovels.com...

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess Madu | 2 comments F.T. wrote: "Hi, guys.

I'm a writer myself (I write YA, mystery, romance (what I'm currently working on); also dabble in sci-fi and fantasy). Please note that I'd like to enjoy what I'm reading so I reserve t..."

Hi I'm Jess and I'm looking for some beta readers to take a look at the first 3 chapters of my YA novel. Are you available to take a look?

message 9: by Stjepan (new)

Stjepan Cobets | 12 comments Hi F.T.

My name is Stjepan Varesevac Cobets, I have a published book The Dream of the Forest, but I get information from the reader to have grammatical errors and strange sentences. I'm from the Croatian and English is not my native language. The book went through editing and I was convinced that everything in the book was OK, unfortunately, it does not look like it. The book is a genre: SciFi, Romance, and Adventure. If you are interested in beta reading, contact me on my author's page.

With all due respect,
Stjepan Varesevac Cobets

message 10: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 128 comments Hi F.T. (and everyone else).

I’m currently looking for beta readers for my completed manuscript and I came across your post. It’s a sci-fi thriller with a noir edge, currently sitting at around 100,000 words. Here is a (very) rough blurb:

In the not-to-distant future, privacy is a thing of the past. Our lives are monitored and recorded by implants and watched by an all-seeing eye—a government agency called NEXUS.
While some fear the Network, others have found a way to use it to their advantage; one of these people is Nasir Khan. Khan is a private investigator and hacker, and he’ll break into the Network and the feeds direct from people’s implants, for a price.
He’s used to trouble. Everyday he deals with clients looking for missing wives, stolen money, a cheating husband. But when a client calling themselves only “Anonymous” contacts him, things get interesting.
What starts off as just another job soon becomes a murder coverup involving a former government bigwig, mysterious hit men, and a former politician who could be a damsel in distress and could be a femme fatale. And the worst part is, they all have some unknown link to NEXUS.
The question isn’t can Khan use his wits to solve the case, but does he have what it takes to survive.

If that sounds interesting to you, please get in touch with a direct message. This is only the first draft of my script, so I’m only looking for bigger picture fixes on plot and pacing at this stage.

I'm also available to be a critique partner or beta swapper. So if anyone else sees this and is interested then feel free to get in touch. I’m interested in most genres. My favourites are sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. The only genres I don’t feel I can give accurate feedback on are romance stories, erotica, and historical fiction, as I’m not a big reader of any of these. Although fiction with a historical backdrop where historical accuracy isn’t paramount, I can provide feedback on, no problem.

Thanks everyone. I hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

Kirk.