Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Sweep in Peace [Oct 18, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts on 18th October.

message 2: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3364 comments In.

message 3: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm only about 15% in but it's super fun so far! (view spoiler)

message 4: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3364 comments Oh yeah :) I'll be starting tomorrow night. Looking forward to it!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Oops. Forgot about this one. Will try to squeeze it in this weekend.

message 6: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 17999 comments Mod
Around 40% in already... these are always fun... I'd jumbled some of the elements of this book and the next in my head... (view spoiler)

message 7: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments 31% in! RE the cop (view spoiler)

message 8: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3364 comments I'm 20% in. I love Ilona Andrews' writing, been missing it. It's great to be back in the Innkeeper universe. (view spoiler)

Does anyone else have see Helen Mirin in their heads as Caldenia? Because I do :)

message 9: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Narilka wrote: "I'm 20% in. I love Ilona Andrews' writing, been missing it. It's great to be back in the Innkeeper universe. I get George now! How cool is that. So glad to be rereading these after The Edge :) Too ..."

I always wondered how the edge fits in, and if that world was an alternate universe/ dimension of earth that that Innkeepers live in. Either way it's great that they're connected, it makes the world seem bigger somehow.

I also freaking love the chef, he's amazing.

RE Caldenia: I certainly have that impression of her now!

message 10: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments 43% in. The summit is underway! (view spoiler)

message 11: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm 45 % in now and I've just answered my own question regarding the Edge and the two world being connected: (view spoiler)

message 12: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

I think she was talking about The Weird... I think this Earth might still be The Broken...

message 13: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I think she was talking about The Weird... I think this Earth might still be The Broken..."

Ah okay, that makes sense! I've only read the first 2 Edge books and it was a while ago so I can't really remember how the two were connected. I really need to re-read them and finish the series.

message 14: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (last edited Oct 22, 2018 05:43AM) (new)

Charlie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I think she was talking about The Weird... I think this Earth might still be The Broken..."

Ah okay, that makes sense! I've only read the first 2 Edge books and it was a whil..."

Earth (equivalent) = Broken, Edge = pocket dimensions that connect Weird and Broken, Weird = world of magic, mostly lightsabers (at least the main characters and their families, anyway... can't remember much of what other "regular" people can do... except the messed up stuff the Spider's crew does...)

Edges aren't all connected... the 2 shown in the series are the Edge that George and Jack come from, and the Mire that Sophie/Lark and her family come from... one is in Adrianglia, and the other is in the Louisiana country...

message 15: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "I think she was talking about The Weird... I think this Earth might still be The Broken..."

Ah okay, that makes sense! I've only read the first 2 Edge books a..."

Thank you! That really helps!

I'm 60% in now and I'm really hooked into the world.

message 16: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3364 comments I’m at 66% and remembering just how bad of a situation this is for all involved.

message 17: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments It really is! I'm expecting a fight any minute, it's exciting.

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 150 comments Im 77% in and loving it as well as the comments on here. What a fascinating world. I havent read the Edge books but knowing that they are related makes me even more intrigued.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Narilka wrote: "I'm 20% in. I love Ilona Andrews' writing, been missing it. It's great to be back in the Innkeeper universe. I get George now! How cool is that. So glad to be rereading these after The Edge :) Too ..."

Ok, it's been too long since I read the Edge. Which one was George again? The older brother?

message 20: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Oct 22, 2018 04:54PM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Ignore my last comment. I kept reading comments and Iain's confirmed it. I'm at about 20%. I don't think I stumbled on George yet, though.

*Editing comment. Ok, I guess I did. I pictured him still a kid. Didn't connect the adult with him and wouldn't have connected the 2 if it weren't for you guys.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Ok, I just got to the part where I would have recognized them. Disregard my previous comments 😋

message 22: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 150 comments Just finished. Great story! Love the Inns, cant wait to learn more about the world.

message 23: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments It would be great if this became a long standing series like Kate Daniels. I want Dina to search all the worlds for her parents. It would be great to see what else is out there.

message 24: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm finished! It was amazing! That was such a sad, heart-wrenching ending. Ilona Andrews is such an amazing writing team, I feel all the things!

message 25: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Charlie wrote: "It would be great if this became a long standing series like Kate Daniels. I want Dina to search all the worlds for her parents. It would be great to see what else is out there."

The next book visits a distant planet... and I take it the new novella explores spoilery stuff that should be interesting...

message 26: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3364 comments At the book signing I attended a couple months back the authors stated they have a definite story line in mind for Innkeeper and more to come after the novella. They didn't say how many books that would be though.

I'm almost done. About 15% to go and thoroughly enjoying this reread. I will finish later tonight :)

message 27: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3364 comments I finished. That was just as enjoyable as the first time. And such a moving ending!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm going to be the odd duck again. I'm just not a fan of this series. I love IA, like serious love, but this series is just not my thing. KD and Hidden Legacy: 5 stars, The Edge: 4-5 stars depending on the book, Innkeeper: maybe 3 stars. I don't know why but I just can't connect with this one.

message 29: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Narilka wrote: "At the book signing I attended a couple months back the authors stated they have a definite story line in mind for Innkeeper and more to come after the novella. They didn't say how many books that ..."

Yea... there's clearly a lot left to tell in the Innkeeper series... very little progress has been made so far, towards finding the parents and the missing Inn... (view spoiler)

message 30: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm going to be the odd duck again. I'm just not a fan of this series. I love IA, like serious love, but this series is just not my thing. KD and Hidden Legacy: 5 stars, The Edge: 4-5 stars dependi..."

Some people find all of IA's series too same-y... I always partially blame Renee Raudman, if you're an audiobook listener, since she makes all the MCs sound the same, as well...

I just love the Inn and it's magic... it vaguely reminds me of some other series I've read...

message 31: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments The Inn is a large part of why I love this series. I like that she seems very alive. I also really like Dina and Beast!

The only IA book I've listened to on audio is the first hidden legacy book and I really enjoyed that one. I loved the way the narrator says 'Mad Rogan' for some reason!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm going to be the odd duck again. I'm just not a fan of this series. I love IA, like serious love, but this series is just not my thing. KD and Hidden Legacy: 5 stars, ..."

You know I do the audiobooks ;-)

And yes, she def makes them sound all the same. I like her readings sometimes, but she's really bad for this series.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I don't know if it's the book or the audiobook narrator, but Dina annoys me. The narrator makes her an exaggerated Southern Belle. And I don't feel any chemistry between her and Sean. It's a case where I like the story concept, but the pieces just don't click for me.

message 34: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3364 comments It won't help you with this series but they are switching narrators for Hidden Legacy 4. A smart move IMO so Catalina and Nevada don't sound alike.

I'm glad I read these the normal way. I think listening to a strong Southern accent for Dina would be annoying.

message 35: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1613 comments @Diana maybe you could try reading the next one to see if it's because of the audiobook - I agree about the accent with Nariika.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Karishma wrote: "@Diana maybe you could try reading the next one to see if it's because of the audiobook - I agree about the accent with Nariika."

I think I now have a bias against the books. But I'll give it a try and hope for the best. It makes me sad to not like something by IA.

message 37: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Narilka wrote: "It won't help you with this series but they are switching narrators for Hidden Legacy 4. A smart move IMO so Catalina and Nevada don't sound alike.

I'm glad I read these the normal way. I think li..."

Especially since someone just linked to a snippet on the IA website and said Catalina already READS a bit too much like Nevada, at the moment...