Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > Libra - Delillo

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Libra by Don DeLillo is a 1988 book. Don Delillo is a post modernist author. This is his 9th book. Libra is a retelling of the assasination of JFK by Lee Harvey Oswald.. This book will make you believe the conspiracy theories. Not sure of my rating yet. The story is the life of Oswald from childhood as a bullied, disadvantaged youth with dyslexia. The assasination, dreamed up after the Bay of Pigs to promote anti Cuban opinion and push America back into conflict with Cuba was dreamed up by disgruntled CIA agents was meant to fail. This book has a lot of espionage in it. It also has a parrallel story of the man who has been assigned to review all the data that has been collected about the assasination and write the history of the assasination.

message 2: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments It sounds interesting. Did you enjoy the book?

message 3: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Idit wrote: "It sounds interesting. Did you enjoy the book?" I did but postmodern is not my favorite. There is a lot of details. I found myself buying into the conspiracy.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Great choice for the tag. I can appreciate holding back the rating, as these adventures in writing take some time to digest. I think I change my rating of his Underworld after about 6 months because some of his odd scenarios kept coming back to mind. You sound like you feel you were just brainwashed. That's a significant reflection of writing talent.

You suceed in making me want to read this. I avoided it because I've already had a dose of about 4 other alternate history approaches to this event.

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 699 comments Michael wrote: "Great choice for the tag. I can appreciate holding back the rating, as these adventures in writing take some time to digest. I think I change my rating of his Underworld after about 6 months becaus..."
I like a good conspiracy and I could absolutely see this happening. I gave it 3.8 stars so almost 4 stars.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Libra (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Don DeLillo (other topics)