Nineteenth Century History discussion

Transcontinental Railroad

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (last edited Aug 24, 2009 05:19PM) (new)

Scott Ferry This book was sent by my father this last week as I was asking him about books on the railway in the 19th century.
Hear That Lonesome Whistle Blow The Epic Story of the Transcontinental Railroads

Has anyone read this?

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry Susanna wrote: "No - I really enjoyed Nothing Like It In the World The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869, by Steven Ambrose, though."

that is one i will try to read as well. I had spotted it at the library. What do you think of Steven Ambrose writings? I know there are some critics to the way he writes history, but i am not sure i understand the meaning of the criticism.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 15 comments He's very readable.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 4 comments there is an old steam locomotive - over 100 years old, that still runs from Palestine, TX to Rusk Tx. on weekends - through the piney woods forest - its like stepping back in time to sit in those old railway cars - and the engineer pulls the steam just going over the bridge, and a rainbow shows in the mist.
:) Sharon

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 15 comments That sounds like a really fun way to spend an afternoon, Sharon.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 4 comments Yes, Susanna, very lovely. We take a picnic of fried chicken and fruits - the train goes from Palestine to Rusk - we get off the train and have our picnic in the park by the lake covered with lilli pads, and the occasional paddle boat going by, then we get back in the train and jostle sideways and roll with the tracks and clickity clack along through high pine trees and look out the old windows for deer amidst the thick foliage - yes - very good.
Sharon
http://www.amazon.com/communions-chri...

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry Sharon wrote: "there is an old steam locomotive - over 100 years old, that still runs from Palestine, TX to Rusk Tx. on weekends - through the piney woods forest - its like stepping back in time to sit in those o..."

when i was younger I used to go on vacation traveling with my parents to places in the western states. One steam train ride i remember vividly is the Durango and Silverton train.
http://www.durangotrain.com/

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry Sharon wrote: "Yes, Susanna, very lovely. We take a picnic of fried chicken and fruits - the train goes from Palestine to Rusk - we get off the train and have our picnic in the park by the lake covered with lill..."

That sounds extremely beautiful, relaxing, and fun!!

message 10: by Sharon (last edited Aug 28, 2009 12:14PM) (new)

Sharon Ellis | 4 comments Oh Scott!!!!
Did you just plan my husband and my next vacation??!!
That link is just what the train is like I'm talking about - with maybe even better scenery!
How lucky for you to remember and have those train rides!
Thank you so much for sharing that!