2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)
This topic is about The Darkest Minds
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1)

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Alexandra Bracken‘s book, The Darkest Minds.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Angela Jr, Susy, Satin

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 122
Week 2: 122
Week 3: 122
Week 4: 122

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Yay! Excited to discuss the book!

Angela Jr. Everything i commented so far on the other thread:

Im currently on page 162 and really into it! It feels like your typical YA dystopian so far, but I don't really mind at this point. The concept is interesting :)

Spoilers through chapter 22
(view spoiler)

Chapter 23 (and spoilers for the shatter me trilogy)
ruby's thoughts about clancy remind me so much of juliette from shatter me!
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. End of chapter 25
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. Chapter 27
(view spoiler)

I'll leave it here for today and probably finish tomorrow or monday!

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Awesome progress! I’m a bit behind so I’m going to read it right now.

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments I’m really liking this one! I think it’s a pretty cool concept. Who’s your favorite character so far?

Angela Jr. Finished!
I'm not sure who my favourite character is... Chubs maybe?
(view spoiler)

About to read the short story about liam and cole now!

Angela Jr. The short story is about liam and cole's (view spoiler)
If you've finished the book, the story won't spoil anything, but it's also not necessary to read it. It just offers bonus background info.

message 11: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Is it in the collection of novellas Through the Dark?

message 13: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) So where did you get it from?

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Are you guys talking about the short story at the end of the book? I have that in my ebook copy too. I’m almost to the halfway mark. I’m really behind lol. What would you rate the book?

message 16: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Angela Jr. wrote: "It's in the back of the book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

Ahh, mine doesn't have that....

message 17: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Angela Jr. wrote: "Susy wrote: "Yes, I agree, interesting concept. It reminds me a bit of a series I watched quite a few years ago."

What series was that?"

Ehh, I have such a bad memory... I think it had an A in it lol. And it was about adults with special talents instead of kids...
Will have to come back to you on this...

message 18: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Susy wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "Susy wrote: "Yes, I agree, interesting concept. It reminds me a bit of a series I watched quite a few years ago."

What series was that?"

Ehh, I have such a bad memory... I thin..."

Alphas! Do you know it Angela?

message 19: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) I finished it, still have to write my review.

I liked it, it was a fast and easy read.
I do wish I could have read it in English, I suspect the translation wasn't that great (as is often the case; I have a friend who never reads translated fantasy because of this). But apart from that, I sometimes felt like "sentences were missing", I couldn't always follow how Bracken came to a certain point (for instance where I believe Liam asks Ruby to grab the shirt and she "doesn't know what she is looking for on the shirt"....well, Liam didn't say she had to look for something, he just said to grab it so if I were Ruby I would have grabbed it and handed it over to him instead of going "looking for something" on it...; and this is just one small example).
Also, I didn't really like Ruby, I found her quite irritating. I mean, I understand she was taken away when she was quite young, had gone through a lot and didn't have any education or developmental stimulation, but 10 years isn't thát young and.....I don't know, I just noticed that I frequently rolled my eyes or sighed when reading her thoughts. That's maybe why I had some difficulties with her "self-sacrificing attitude" at the end (view spoiler)

Ok, that sounds like I didn't like the book which isn't the case. I'm so sorry my library doesn't have any English editions though...
And I've got a feeling that it's going to get better, both the writing and me liking Ruby (I hope lol). I really do like Liam (+ Zu too) :) And Chubs is (view spoiler) quite interesting too.

So, are we reading the next instalment next month Satin and Angela?

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Yes I want to read the next one next month. Also I’m sorry I’m reading so slowly but I’m not done yet.

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments I’m at the part we’re they visit a run down hotel to get cleaned up. It is chapter 12 to be exact. Will you guys still discuss with me even if I’m not finished yet?

message 22: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Satin wrote: "I’m at the part we’re they visit a run down hotel to get cleaned up. It is chapter 12 to be exact. Will you guys still discuss with me even if I’m not finished yet?"

Of course we will Satin! :)

message 23: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Satin wrote: "Yes I want to read the next one next month. Also I’m sorry I’m reading so slowly but I’m not done yet."

No problem at all! We have all month for this book so no worries!!

So, at chapter 12, who is your favourite character and why?

message 24: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Angela Jr. wrote: "Everything i commented so far on the other thread:

Im currently on page 162 and really into it! It feels like your typical YA dystopian so far, but I don't really mind at this point. The concept i..."

Didn't mind at all lol

Yes (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. wrote: "End of chapter 25
[spoilers removed]"

Yes, he did!!! I just had to stop reading for a moment to ask myself that same question (view spoiler)

Angela Jr. wrote: "Finished!
I'm not sure who my favourite character is... Chubs maybe?
[spoilers removed]
..."

I don't know, I must admit I didn't fully understand that part (view spoiler)

message 25: by Angela Jr. (last edited Aug 15, 2018 01:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela Jr. No, I don't know alphas, susy!

I always prefer the original over the translation too. That's the reason I don't use my local library... Hardly any english books there 🤷
From the few books where I've read both, i always enjoyed the original one more - lots of stuff sadly gets lost in translation, either for simplicity's sake or just because there's no way to translate a specific thing.
I didn't feel anything was missing in the story like you said, sounds like that really was a translation issue...

I've read the exact same thing you said about ruby in a few other reviews, (view spoiler)

Clancy
(view spoiler)

Answering machine
(view spoiler)

Liam
(view spoiler)

Angela Jr. And yes, i do want to read the second book next month!

message 27: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Angela Jr. wrote: "No, I don't know alphas, susy!

Really liked that series and would recommend it (if you’re in to series that is of course)

I always prefer the original over the translation too. That's the reason I don't use my local library... Hardly any english books there 🤷

So you have that problem too? What do you do? Do you buy all your books then?

From the few books where I've read both, i always enjoyed the original one more - lots of stuff sadly gets lost in translation, either for simplicity's sake or just because there's no way to translate a specific thing.
I didn't feel anything was missing in the story like you said, sounds like that really was a translation issue...

I've read the exact same thing you said about ruby in a few other reviews, (view spoiler)

I know/understand (and I’m a child psychologist so I’d better! Lol), but even then.... It’s not her thinking thát she is a monster, but the way she thinks and says things. So after your previous comment I’m now wondering if maybe that’s due to translation as well.... (view spoiler)

Clancy
(view spoiler)

Exactly!

Answering machine
[ (hide spoiler)]

I hope we will!

Liam
(view spoiler)
"

Yes, that possibility crossed my mind too although I think (hope?) (view spoiler)

Yes, poor Ruby but also poor Liam, he just didn’t know.

message 28: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Angela Jr. wrote: "And yes, i do want to read the second book next month!"

Cool!
Thinking about buying the box as well so I can read the rest in English...

Angela Jr. I love tv shows! Probably just as much as books... Just love a good story, doesn't matter which format :)

Yes, i buy most of them used from amazon. Sometimes new, like this box set. New ones i also buy from bookdepository, because they are often cheaper than amazon. I do have a kindle paperwhite, so i just recently tried out the subscription service scribd that everyone's been talking about. It's awesome and the selection is pretty big, but unfortunately it doesn't support kindle paperwhite for ebooks... (I hate reading on screens, so using my phone instead is not an option for me) So I've been using the free trial just for audiobooks. I was thinking about trying out amazon's kindle unlimited subscription service next. I hope they have a good selection!

Child psychologist sounds like such an interesting job! But i bet it's pretty hard sometimes too. Do you have your own practice?
Yeah, maybe it's the translation or maybe I'm just not as bothered by it. Like i said, I've read a few othee reviews where people said ruby was annoying.

Yes, that possibility crossed my mind too although I think (hope?) ...

I like that idea!

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Honestly, I don’t have a favorite character yet. I honestly think all the characters have an interesting point to them, and have their own flaws.

message 31: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Angela Jr. wrote: " I was thinking about trying out amazon's kindle unlimited subscription service next. I hope they have a good selection!

I always have an ebook on the go but I really prefer physical books, so that's why I haven't tried out any unlimited subscriptions for ebooks....
So what do you do with all your books?? I really have a problem not knowing where to put all my books already lol

Child psychologist sounds like such an interesting job! But i bet it's pretty hard sometimes too. Do you have your own practice?"

Yes, it often is quite hard too. I don't have my own practice, I work at an outpatient clinic and a district team, but I would love to have my own practice one day (shouldn't wait too long though lol)

message 32: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Satin wrote: "Honestly, I don’t have a favorite character yet. I honestly think all the characters have an interesting point to them, and have their own flaws."

True!!

Angela Jr. Susy wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: " I was thinking about trying out amazon's kindle unlimited subscription service next. I hope they have a good selection!

I always have an ebook on the go but I really prefer phy..."

I prefer physical books too... A lot. But i buy so many books it's become ridiculous 😅 i was thinking I'd borrow the ebooks and then only buy the ones i really loved reading, to display them on my shelves. I'm not sure if I'll end up liking this method, but i want to try some kind of ebook subscription because 1 it's much cheaper than buying and 2 space. I'd use the library if they had any books i wanted to read. Living rural is difficult sometimes 🤷
I have around 900 books and double stacked shelves, piles of books everywhere.... It's ridiculous lol. Though I've already been strong this year and gotten rid of 32 books 💪 (meaning they are piled on top one of my shelves until i figure out a place i can take them... 😂)

I'm really interested in psychology, i wrote one of my dissertations in school on Munchausen-by-proxy syndrome. Psychology is totally fascinating to me 😊

Angela Jr. Satin wrote: "Honestly, I don’t have a favorite character yet. I honestly think all the characters have an interesting point to them, and have their own flaws."

I agree, that's why i said "chubs maybe" earlier. If i had to choose it'd probably be him, but there's no one character that's standing out to me

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Hi everyone! I’m at chapter 13 now. THE Part where Ruby cried in the hotel because she realized she hadn’t seen family for 6 years made me so sad. I wonder if her keeping the panic button will lead to any troubles............. I’m really enjoying the concept for this book. I wonder why Zu can’t talk? Is it because of {spoilers removed}?

message 36: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Hi Satin, I think something went wrong with your spoiler?

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Oh what happened with it? I only meant to mark my spoiler I don’t see anything odd on my screen

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments anyhow, I meant to say, I Wonder why Zu does not speak. I have some speculations however.whos your least favorite character?

message 39: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Satin wrote: "anyhow, I meant to say, I Wonder why Zu does not speak. I have some speculations however.whos your least favorite character?"

Interested to hear your speculations...
Least favorite character.... Well since “you’re still at the hotel” I can’t say without spoilers... But besides that character I don’t really like Ruby, find her a bit annoying.

Satin wrote: "Oh what happened with it? I only meant to mark my spoiler I don’t see anything odd on my screen"

There’s no spoiler marked/to open.

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Hi everyone! I was wondering, what does everyone think about Alexandra Brackens writing style? Also, I plan on getting to chapter fifteen by the end of today or tomorrow. I feel like I’m in a slump:(

message 41: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Satin wrote: "Hi everyone! I was wondering, what does everyone think about Alexandra Brackens writing style? Also, I plan on getting to chapter fifteen by the end of today or tomorrow. I feel like I’m in a slump:("

Can’t say anything about her writing since I read a translation (and a bad one I believe).

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Aww..... I hate when a translation doesn’t turn out well:( I had to read a French translation from an American novel once ( don’t remember the book lol) and I remember hating it! I hope you can get a hold of an English copy for the next ones :)

message 43: by Susy (last edited Aug 17, 2018 11:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Satin wrote: "Aww..... I hate when a translation doesn’t turn out well:( I had to read a French translation from an American novel once ( don’t remember the book lol) and I remember hating it! I hope you can get..."

A friend of mine never reads Dutch translations of fantasy books, cause they're never as good as the English editions. A lot gets lost in translation apparently, so...
My library doesn't have any English editions so I think I'll have to buy them...

message 44: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) So how are you doing Satin?

I recently watched the movie, quite liked it although they did change a couple of things (and I understand you have to leave things out, but add or alter things, why??) and it always feels hurried in comparison to the book. But again, if you forget the book, the movie is quite good. At least Ruby wasn't so annoying lol

message 45: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Angela Jr. wrote: "Susy wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: " I was thinking about trying out amazon's kindle unlimited subscription service next. I hope they have a good selection!

I always have an ebook on the go but I real..."

900 books, that IS impressive! I have stack of books lying around all over the place simply because my apartment is too small to have a lot of bookcases....keep dreaming of winning the lottery and buying a real big house with an enormous library lol

Yes, psychology is fascinating indeed :)

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments I’m almost finished Angela! I’m sorry but I think I’ll continue through next month. However don’t worry probably be done with it until the 2nd of September.

message 47: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) No problem. My copy hasn’t arrived yet so I won’t be able to start right away either.

Angela Jr. I don't know whether I'll start it on the first right away... I'm reading two pretty big books right now, so it'd probably be nice to have something shorter and something I'm really looking forward to, so i can go back and forth between them. I'll just see how I'm feeling on the day 🤗

Satin (satin_ss) | 313 comments Plans sound awesome!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Darkest Minds (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alexandra Bracken (other topics)