Play Book Tag discussion

We Were the Lucky Ones
This topic is about We Were the Lucky Ones
2016-19 Activities & Challenges > Buddy Read for We Were the Lucky Ones

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments Proposing a Buddy Read for We Were the Lucky Ones. Thinking maybe September is a good month to plan for it. So far, interested folks in reading this and reading this together with me have been:

Jason
Rachel
Ladyslott

Wondering if this is a good upcoming month for you three to read this together, and if anyone wants to join us? I also have a growing list for Circe which might be a month or two behind. So let me know and hopefully we get a great group. Already off to a brilliant start.

message 2: by Joanne (last edited Aug 11, 2018 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8094 comments Oh, this was such a good book! Read it a few months ago. I will be checking in to see how you all like it! Wish I had time to do a re-read! I have Circe on my TBR list-definitely will wait for you all!

Charlotte | 1623 comments I'm all set!! I got my book and just started reading it last night. I'm only a handful of pages in. Has anyone else started it??

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope to start it tonight. But if not tonight I will most definitely start tomorrow.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments Good that you found this. But Nicole asked us to put the thread in a different place. I’m gonna try to get to that tonight and put it in the activities and challenges folder. Unless it’s already there. I may have put it in footnotes. If I did I’m gonna delete this thread and start another. But as for where I’m at, I’m in the forgotten garden. But somehow I came across a copy if we were the lucky ones. I wonder if I want it in the giveaway and forgot that! But I definitely own one so I’m ready to go. I think it might be my next book. So I’ll probably start with an a couple of days. I’m loving my book so much that I’m bo nd to finish it really soon.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m finding this first Harry Potter to be a both a quick and easy read. Loving it. I may actually finish it tonight. This is going to be a good month. I’ve got some great books to read and I’m excited.:)

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments OK, its already where its supposed to be... Thank you Nicole.

I think we have at least three or four folks interested in reading with us. Rachel, Amy, Charlotte, possibly AJ, And Joanne and maybe others who loved this book looking on.

I just wanted to say that I am thinking of Jason and I miss him. Originally he and I were going to read this together, and it would have been our fourth buddy read. I miss his insights, his humor, and the long conversations you didn't know we were having. Its funny how close folks can get through a love of reading and a group like this. So Jason, I am holding down the fort for you, and keeping you in my prayers. Not a big fort, just a space for you to return to, and an intention of all blessings to you and your beautiful family.

As for the rest of you - I am so delighted to be reading and sharing books and lives with you. It is an honor and a pleasure. I am a lot more articulate when I am writing on the computer, as I am now - as my phone makes mincemeat out of my intentions sometimes. I did suggest that I was trying to remember where my Owned copy of We Were the Lucky One's came from, which made me think I should browse my giveaway list to see whether it was sent to me by goodreads. If it was, i am late to read and review it, but I should know. And so should you... Can't wait to start this with you. Blessings, Amy

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8094 comments I will only be checking in on the discussion as I have already read this. As tempting as a re-read is, just not possible this month.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Hi Amy, I’m the future, of a thread is in the wrong place you do not need to delete it and start again. If you click edit by the title of the thread when the thread is open, then it gives you a dropdown menu of whet to put it and you can just select a different place! You have to do it on the desktop version of GoodReads, but so long as you started the thread then you can move it.

Also, if something is in the wrong place, the admins sometimes move it as well and just make a note of it.

Charlotte | 1623 comments I finished Part I... I agree it is a quick read but it bothers me a bit and I’ve had to check ahead to make sure i see certain names.

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments I threw in a book in between - but I bet its over quickly and I start by the end of the week. Truth be told, I liked the idea of reading this over the Jewish High Holidays. Kind of an "in the mood" experience. Will let you know when I start. So glad you jumped in to read with us, and jumped in right away.

Best,

Amy

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "OK, its already where its supposed to be... Thank you Nicole.

I think we have at least three or four folks interested in reading with us. Rachel, Amy, Charlotte, possibly AJ, And Joanne and maybe..."

Amy what a kind tribute to Jason. Hoping he comes back in time to share this book with us. I would love to hear his insights.

message 13: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments You know, I don’t even know if he knew how many people responded so lovingly and supportively to his message to all of us. I sent him a message to let him know. I also think I sent something a day or so ago just to check in and I haven’t heard much. So he may have missed this loving tribute as well.

Add close to 50%, in between book isn’t getting much better. I really always hate it when a rave set up to your expectations really high. The book is just kind of fine. But within a couple of days I should be starting ours.

message 14: by Charlotte (last edited Sep 07, 2018 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlotte | 1623 comments Just finished it last night.... stayed up late to finish it. I got to a point in the book where I was like... crap... looks like I'm not going to sleep anytime soon.

Parts of the book bothered me but only because of the seriousness of what was going on. When I got to the part where the story started heading towards the conclusion, I felt like I could finally let out a breathe that I was holding the whole book. I think I mentioned above that I kept looking ahead and trying to find names of various characters. I was becoming so invested in them and so worried that I needed to see if they made it or not. I'm not ignorant to what happened in Europe during that time. I was lucky enough to participate in a study abroad when I was in graduate school in 2004. It was to study Economics and we spent part of the time in Czech and part of the time in Poland visiting various companies. While in Poland, they took us to Auschwitz. I feel that everyone who has the opportunity, should go. I can't even describe the feelings I felt while there. It is one of the most impactful days of my life. This was in the back of my mind while reading... I knew where the story could potentially go.... the sheer evil that existed during that time.

I really thought this was an amazing book and I look forward to our discussion about it as you guys finish it. I thought the book was so great that I've even talked my local book clubs into it possibly being out next book (it's up for a vote now and in the lead).

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments Charlotte, I have loved thinking about you and Rachel reading this while I’m reading it to you. I’m just at 20%. But it’s so easy to fall in love with this family, and knowing what’s coming, and having read so many books on World War II and what was happening to the Jews, it’s like you can since every bit of tension with even the smallest of nuance, as the pressure keeps building. I am going to assume that of the four of us and I am third in my progress. And that Rachel is farther along. I don’t know if AJ are others who are thinking of reading this with us are following so closely. But I just wanted to share where I’m at. Jakob and Bella just got married in the Foyer, following Nuchana, Sol, and Mila needing to leave their home in an afternoon. So glad you loved it Charlotte and that it impacted you so strongly. And that your book club is considering it. My friend on Facebook just nominated it as book 3 of seven books that she has loved. And so many people are commenting on how much they are loving it. It was cool to be able to tell her I’m reading it right now. I think I even extracted a promise from Jason to consider trying to get to it. So far it is truly spectacular, and I’m already in the tension of love in this family and knowing how tense the circumstances are at every turn

Charlotte | 1623 comments Amy wrote: "Charlotte, I have loved thinking about you and Rachel reading this while I’m reading it to you. I’m just at 20%. But it’s so easy to fall in love with this family, and knowing what’s coming, and ha..."

I loved that part and was so close to tears!! Bella is definitely one of my favorites!! The tenseness of the circumstances is what caused me to keep looking ahead and hold my breath the whole time. I think Hunter did a great job of slowly building that tension up through the course of the story/war.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely understand Charlotte. I am page 175 and just holding my breath. This author has done a very good job of letting the reader become part of the character's lives.
I want to go to Poland and have yet to get there. If I had not moved to America I would have went but since coming here I've just not had the chance to get there. I think there is a part of me that puts it off intentionally as some of my family died there but it is on my list of places I want to visit. There are several places I want to visit in Poland as well as well as France.
I'm sure I'll get a lot of reading in the next few days. I'm very glad we're reading this book.

message 18: by Joanne (last edited Sep 08, 2018 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8094 comments Rachel wrote: "I completely understand Charlotte. I am page 175 and just holding my breath. This author has done a very good job of letting the reader become part of the character's lives.
I want to go to Poland..."

My husband was born in Poland and i have visited a few times. It is a beautiful country with wonderful people. There is so much history there, took my breath away.

message 19: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2088 comments I just started this one

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Well I am now on page 340 and I am breathing a little easier. Wow, such a great book with so many wonderful characters.

Charlotte | 1623 comments Rachel wrote: "Well I am now on page 340 and I am breathing a little easier. Wow, such a great book with so many wonderful characters."

That's exactly how I felt!! And then I couldst's top reading... I stayed up so late the night I finished it because I finally got to a point where I could breathe and I didn't want to stop reading... I wanted to see how it all ended up.

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments Yay Jason! Our fourth buddy read of the year! And it’s such a fabulous book. I’m going to try to get to some more of it tonight. Sometimes a book is just really special.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished and I cannot put into words my feelings at the moment. I loved the story after the story just as much. This book is a special book indeed.

message 24: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments J, If you’re going to be logging in slightly less books per month, this is certainly one to keep on the list. It’s gonna be interesting to see what you choose now that you have to be even more selective.

I will try to hurry up to catch up with you and Charlotte, Rachel.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

No hurry Amy. I'm going to hold off posting my review for a few days since there is so much going on the next few days. I wanted to check in and express my feelings. Which I really can't right now but to say this is a book that will stick with me.
Jason I am so happy you are going to read this with us.

message 26: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments I have been unable to get a copy of this yet

Charlotte | 1623 comments No hurry Amy!! I made a promise to myself this year that I wasn’t going to let myself get burned out with work so at a certain point each day, I stop. That gives me a lot of free time in the evenings and on weekends (no kids helps).

Rachel, I totally agree with you. There was so much I didn’t know how to put into words.

AJ there is still plenty of time, once you start it is hard to put down and super easy to fly through it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I absolutely loved this book when I read it, and have been following along with your discussion.

While this is historical fiction, it is heavily pulled from real life—in fact, she considered writing it as nonfiction. This was a real family, and their general experiences really happened, and their ultimate fates are true.

The author went to a private school (a very elite private school!) just down the road from me, and when she was 15 years old was assigned a school writing project to interview a family member. She chose her grandmother and learned for the first time that her family had been in the holocaust.

From there, she learned the unbelievable story of their fight and survival to start the family she now knew and loved.

I think I was half in love with this book, and half in love with the author's story.

A few articles that I found interesting:
http://www.jvhri.org/stories/In-World...

https://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/we-...

https://www.readitforward.com/author-...

http://www.providencejournal.com/ente...

message 29: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments Saving your links for the finish. I’m at 50%. Would love to just sit down with a cup of coffee today and finish it. But alas obligations compel. Soon enough I can’t wait to talk to you guys about it. The pieces with Felicia, the little baby, are just about killing me. I can barely draw breath!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole R wrote: "I absolutely loved this book when I read it, and have been following along with your discussion.

While this is historical fiction, it is heavily pulled from real life—in fact, she considered writi..."

Nicole, I had no idea how much this story was based on this authors life until I got to the end. I was mesmorized all over again when I read through that. It made the story even better for me.
Thanks for the links. I'm one of those who goes on rabbit trails to get more information when I love a book. This is helpful.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Saving your links for the finish. I’m at 50%. Would love to just sit down with a cup of coffee today and finish it. But alas obligations compel. Soon enough I can’t wait to talk to you guys about i..."

Soon you will barely breathe....

Booknblues | 6501 comments As Nicole says it is based on a true story and that is what makes it all the more incredible.

Like Nicole it made the top 10 when I read it.

message 33: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments I am at 75% - and just loving this book! Hate to be putting it down for more cooking, round two. Love the scenes the family are remembering of the holiday meals of the past, as I am right now replicating them. At the juncture I am at, (and I can't wait for us to be talking about this book together), tensions continue to rise everywhere, and ever chapter I am holding my breath. Just saying - when Genek meets the doctor, I just about lost my s**t.

I cannot bear the emotions that all of our beloved characters are feeling, thinking abut their family, and not knowing where anyone is, and if they are okay or not, and believing the worst is most likely. At 75%, I can now see we are at the portion of the book where connections are going to have to start getting made, information exchanged, and I think its going to be emotional! Just one thing I have been feeling - God Bless Adam! And bonds of love, just plain luck, and serious ingenuity. and the righteous aid of others, who did not need to extend themselves to help others. Despite what feels to be bleak, then and now, there's some wonderful beauty to this world. Incredible people who fight for humanity.

Charlotte - glad to be friends. I had thought we already were. You have an "old friend" feeling to me.

Charlotte | 1623 comments Amy wrote: "Charlotte - glad to be friends. I had thought we already were. You have an "old friend" feeling to me. "

:) I'm still fairly new to the group, I just jumped in with both feet and tried to be active and interact with everyone from the get go.

It's definitely emotional, I kept getting goosebumps from where you are through the end of the book.

Booknblues | 6501 comments This is a book one cannot read without copious tears and out right sobbing.

message 36: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9064 comments 5 amazing stars! I just loved it. I found it also special to be reading it mostly on Rosh Hashanah. In fact before I could write a review, I needed to spend two hours today to write an essay on the experience of reading this book. While preparing for a holiday meal, with my Grandmother's Candlesticks from Poland, I recounted the story of how my great half aunt and uncle hid in the Russian hills and somehow made it to pre-Israel in 1947. I recounted about my Aunt's special gift of a recipe book, and what it means to have traditions, food, melodies, and memories passed down. About how the tunes and prayers bind us back generations ancestrally and to each other - and what it means to be reading this book, knowing your family is safe and free and together - and holding the Kurc family with me all day. Knowing that in order to survive they needed luck, heroism and resilience, they needed love and loyalty, they needed the help of others along the way who believed in humanity at great risk to themselves. They needed faith, pluck, ingenuity, and a willingness to do what it takes to keep a family safe, despite great devastation. The story was amazing - and yet there are plenty of these. Each of us has a tale of how our relatives if they survived, if they did so - and we are passing down to our children, not just faith, gratitude, and tradition, but the knowledge that we are part of a chain. Now safe to practice freely and celebrate together. But each of us must do our part to raise our voices to protect others in uncertain times. To fight for our freedoms and not take them for granted. To do something to help the plight of others trying to stay connected, to live, to be honored, safe, and together with loved ones. This is the synopsis of the essay. The book - well you're just going to have to experience that for yourself, and have your own story of how it hit you. My pillow remains wet, my heart full, my fridge stuffed, and plenty more experiences to recount. Amazing book read at an amazingly profound time. I felt the Kurcs with me all day and still today as Rosh Hashanah closes. They live on, long after the pages complete. And so do we all. Year after year we come together, anew, and yet still part of that familiar chain; no matter where we are in the world. Thank you Georgia Hunter for sharing your story and touching us all.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I was thinking about this story this morning and one of the things that continue to stand out to me is persistence and resolution. Even though they always knew the decisions they made may not be of a permanent nature Something would happen and members of this family immediately came up with another plan. Another way to save themselves and their family members. There were never moments of giving up. Sure they were tired and hungry but they just never gave up.

message 38: by Joanne (last edited Sep 13, 2018 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8094 comments It is amazing how they all carried on, and made the decisions to keep going. It is a true testament to the resilience of the human spirit. I don't think you can truly understand it unless you have gone through something that tests your limits. Being able to look such evil in the face and just say No! this is not how it is going to end.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanne, you summed it up really well. To look evil in the face and just say No! And this is exactly what they did in so many ways, so many times.