Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Dreamfever - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I thought that I'd start the folder for Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning by Karen Marie Moning. The official release date is tomorrow.

So, there are so many good new releases coming out this month that there was no way that I could reread all of the differnt series before the new ones come out. But for Dreamfever I made the time. I had honestly forgotten so much of what goes on in the first 3 books. I just finised rereading book 2 last night, and hopefully at work tonight I can get through most of book 3.

Do you guys think that we are finally going to find out what Barrons is? Or is she going to torture us for another year? Also, from the blurb on the back of the book, I am really wondering if the relationships between Mac and both Barrons and Vlane are both progessed a bit. That could make things interesting!

message 2: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments You probably will get a vague hint about what Barrons might be but certainly not a definitive answer. In fact, it seems that we will have to wait for the last installment to finally make sense of the various characters' motives and identities. I'm hoping that by the end of the series, all the pieces will fit together in a coherent and satisfactory manner. Four years is definitely a very long waiting time :)

message 3: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments luckily for me, I didn't get into the series until about 9 months ago, so I've had a bit shorter wait! But you are right, it's hard to wait so long and still not have your questions answered!

message 4: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments Good for you! In my case, I started quite early, so it has been a frustrating experience having to wait a year for each installment. Even though I have enjoyed the Fever series, I think that for the next KMM series, I will probably wait for the whole thing to be published. Curiously, I was fine with the endings in Darkfever and Bloodfever: I was satisfied because there was some level of partial closure but they also made me want to find out what happened next. However, the cliffhangers in the last two books just ruined a bit my enjoyment and dampened my enthusiasm regarding the next installment.
I'm starting to wonder if the last book in the series will be able to fulfill the extremely high expectations created by what was missing in the previous installments: it has to pull together quite a number of loose ends and explain away a ton of stuff in a convincing manner, moreover, it also needs to have enough action to be entertaining...quite the feat if this last book is going to have a similar number of pages as the previous four.

message 5: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I have no idea. The funny thing is that even her writing styles between the fever series and the Highlander series are completely different. In the Highlander ones, each book could be read as a stand alone. Although they did connect and everything, there weren't any real cliff hangers. Now with the fever series, that's all that there are!

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I don't think we'll find out what he is.. she's going to drag it out a bit more. But I will be pissed if she ends this books mid scene again. That was just ridiculous.

message 7: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments Jess,
If you are talking about Dreamfever, well, take a deep breath and count to ten, I suspect you and many others will get slightly mad this time around too. I know I did.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Say it aint so!!!!!!!!

Don't tell me what happens though lol

message 9: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (savage_midnight) | 7 comments I like that each book hangs on a cliffhanger of sorts. It makes the whole process more exciting. Part of the joy of this series is the wait. As much as we complain about it, we do enjoy discussing the newest installments between ourselves, trying to figure out the mysteries, etc.

I think book three ended just at the right time. It couldn't have gone any further because Moning will need a new, fresh book to explore the consequences and after-effects of the events that transpired. I would rather wait a year than have the author try and force more than is necessary into one book.

Part of me also doesn't mind because when I set out to read this series, I knew that each book was a piece of a bigger puzzle. I think that's made pretty obvious by the end of the first book. And I think I'll find the series on the whole way more satisfying when I get to the end of that final book and everything will have pieced itself together.

message 10: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments Lianne,
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the endings as they are, of course each of us is an individual with different ways to look at things and different preferences. If everyone was the same, the world would be a really boring place and worse, there would be no point in sharing our ideas. Therefore, we can amicably agree to disagree and enjoy sharing our diverse thoughts and opinions.
In my case, please don't get me wrong, I still like the series very much, however I haven't been able to get myself too interested and excited over spending a year trying to guess where the plot is going, who is who, what are the motivations of the various characters. For one, I feel that I don't have enough information to make a decent prediction and also, each person has different thoughts, experiences and mental processes, how can I accurately guess what is going on in the author's head? I may have a very general hunch about how some things are going to end in the plot , but beyond that, its like playing the lottery and I'm not much of a gambler.
For me, the point of reading a book is to be entertained and to enjoy the work of someone who is obviously much more talented and creative than I am. If I could consistently entertain myself by creating my own stories, I would probably buy far less books or perhaps, I would even be an author.
I would like to add, that I still like mystery in a series, I mean, its not as I want all the answers in each book, that would be pretty boring and pointless. I think the author can preserve the mystery and keep the reader guessing and interested without the need of ending each installment with a cliffhanger. For example, the Harry Potter books did not end with a cliffhanger, however, millions of people still wanted to buy the next installment to find out more about what happened to Harry.
Anyways, that's only my opinion and my preferences, each of us has the right to have their own and to share them respectfully with others, after all, that's the point of being here :)
Happy reading!

message 11: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I'm dying! I guess that there has been some issue with the audiobook downloads on basically every site you can download it from! Including audible.com and itunes. I am really keeping my fingers crossed that it's fixed in time for me to download the book to listen to at work tonight. Otherwise I might scream!!!

message 12: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (savage_midnight) | 7 comments Eclectic1 wrote: "Lianne,
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying the endings as they are, of course each of us is an individual with different ways to look at things and different preferences. If everyone was the sa..."

Oh no, I didn't mean to say that people have no right to complain or voice their opinion. I do it all the time. Part of me really hates waiting because I want the answers now. What I meant was the irritation and impatience is all part of the process and it's a good thing, especially if an author can invoke that kind of reaction in you, because it suggests you really care about the characters and what happens to them.

Theorising about where the series is headed next is part of the fun for me, even though I'm still dying for Moning to say, "No, it's like this, and this." Part of me also doesn't mind waiting because I don't think I quite want it to be over yet. I have a feeling that even when all the mysteries are solved and the series is complete, I'm going to want more :(

I definitely agree that book three's ending was probably more frustrating than book one and two, but I think that's because it was a rather sudden and unexpected ending. It was a shock to the system for a lot of people. But I think a cliffhanger that actually leaves you with your mouth hanging open is an impressive thing. I think Moning chose to end it there because each book marks off a significant change in Mac's life, a complete shift from what she once knew. The ending of book three was probably one of the biggest changes because Mac has lost something that has kept her going for a long time -- her free will. I don't think Moning could have pushed the third book further because where else is there to go in a book that had already reached its pinnacle?

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Oooh, I just got my copy today! And I'm almost finished with the book I'm reading, so I can dig right in. Cliffhangers or no, I still love the suspense in this series. I loooove trying to figure out where it's going.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Anybody else reading? I'm a little over halfway right now. I'm off tomorrow and planning to do nothing but finish this book.

I like it so far, but Barrons is killing me!

message 15: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments I finished a little while ago, I'm not posting yet for fear of ruining the (ahem) surprises for others :) I'm going to wait a little so more people are ready to discuss the plot. Happy reading!

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Welcome to the group! You can have spoilers on this thread. It sounds like a few people in the group have finished it already and have just been waiting to discuss it. Hopefully I'll be finishing it tonight!

message 17: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments Dana, I feel the same way about this book. The last one needs to be really thorough putting together all the information in a neat package without giving an abrupt ending to the story or I'm going to be really, really disappointed. Even though I still enjoyed Dreamfever (KMM's writing is very entertaining and she has a wonderful imagination), to me it felt more like a "filler" to extend the series for one more book. I found myself thinking that this one contained lots of fluff and little relevant info. Well, only time will tell...I'm impatient to discuss my theory about what happens after the cliffhanger but I'm going to wait until more folks are done reading.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just finished a little while ago, and I'm still trying to put together my questions and feelings about this book. This is the best I can do for now.

*Still really like KMM's style and storytelling. I devoured this book.

*Barrons's actions during the de-Pri-ya scenes nearly killed me. On some level, I think he really does have all his hopes banked in Mac. Whether that's love or as close to it as he gets, who knows? His dancing and calling her Rainbow Girl was so un-Barrons that I felt my heart skip some beats reading it. Reminded me of when V'lane sifted her and Barrons tore apart the bookshop. You do that for people you care about.

*What the hell is the big secret about what Barrons and Co. are? What ARE they? I no longer think they're dark Druids, but what does that leave?

*Did Darroc tell the truth? Did Alina really love him and did he not kill her? If so, who did kill her and why?

*What is Christian turning into and where did he go?

*And yes, I am beginning to loathe cliffhangers. This last book better be the answer to all my questions, or I'm gonna be tossing it at the nearest IFP in the hopes it'll self combust. What males are left who would crush Mac's world if they die? Surely it's not Barrons. Barrons was on his way to Georgia, and he was seen to be separate from the assumed IYD creature. Plus, Ryodan was willing to kill it, and I'm not sure he'd really want to kill Barrons. So who?

*If it is Barrons, Moning's got some explaining to do.

*On the good side, I was happy to hear mention of all the Highlander Druids and Adam Black again. I'm hoping they make appearances in the last book.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Ooh, and what is the "it" she's not supposed to talk to? The book? The Sinsar Dubh is the wild card in the whole series, since nobody appears to know what it wants, but everybody wants it.

message 20: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments My theory about the end is that the beast is indeed Barrons. Never mind the part in the garage when he and Mac are together and they hear the floor tremble, I have the hunch that is just a red herring and Moning will have a handy explanation for this scene in the last book. On the other hand, I think that Barrons is cursed, among other things, with immortality. As he is tired of living forever and doing whatever nasty thing his curse makes him do (maybe finishing up those that have been tortured by the fae?), so he was looking for the book in order to end his life and his curse. However, he came to realize that if he got the book, he not only wouldn't want to die anymore, but he also would become evil.

My theory is that in the end of Faefever Mac thinks she killed the beast (Barrons) with the spear, but he cannot be killed because part of his curse is to be invulnerable and immortal.

message 21: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments sorry,in the last post I meant the end of Dreamfever, not Faefever :)

message 22: by Sarah (last edited Aug 21, 2009 12:45PM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments If the IYD beast was indeed Barrons, I think you're right Eclectic1. I do think he's immortal, although not druid like I had previously believed. If he seemed to have died at the end of Dreamfever, I do not believe he will stay dead through the next book. I also believe that somehow, Mac and Co. will learn how to use the mirrors in the Hall. Barrons told her they weren't just portals to other dimensions, but portals to time. She could, theoretically, change time. But that would mean she'd have to pay a heavy price. I think Mac would do it, though.

I also like the idea that Rowena killed Alina. Something is not right with her, but I don't think we've been given enough info yet to say what.

Anybody have ideas about the woman Mac saw in the library and her dreams? I'm wondering if she's the Unseelie King's concubine.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments The woman could be her mom or grandmother, I thought of that, too. Whoever she is, she is not living. Mac got the impression that she was an image on a loop--not sentient.

As for Barrons being the Unseelie King, hmmm... Does anyone have a copy of the last Highlander book handy to re-read the scene between the Seelie Queen and the Unseelie King? I remember she said she had her Druids in place... but I don't remember the King very clearly. I'm wondering if there are clues there.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments In a way, yes. :) Surprise! If you haven't read them, do. All of the Keltar druids have a book of their own, Drustan, Daegus, and Cian, and the fae Adam Black. All of them were mentioned in the background of Faefever and Dreamfever. Christian and what's-his-name don't have books.

In the last Highlander book, there is a foreshadowing scene between the Seelie Queen Aiobheal (sp?) and the Unseelie King. I just don't own a copy, so I can't dash back to it for clues. I really need to buy these things so I don't have to ask others for help!

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Well, I found part of it. I guess what I'm thinking of happened in 2 books, but part of it is in Spell of the Highlander.

***Minor spoilers for Spell of the Highlander***

Quote:
"Queen Aoibheal of the Tuatha De Danaan murmured... Humans were forever attributing the meddling of the Fae to the divine. As well they should, for handling so many threads, subtly altering the weft and weck of the world, truly required something of the divine.

They were here now.

Her players, her pieces on the board. More than pawns, less than kings.

The catastrophe that had occurred in the seventeenth century hadn't taken place after all, not since she'd rearranged events to get the Keltar's underground chamber sealed. The one in the twentieth century hadn't come to fruition either, for the same reason. Nor had the other two, though for different reasons...

Seven times now she'd prevented the extinction of the purest and most potent of the Druid lines.

And positioned the five most powerful Druids that had ever lived precisely where she wanted them. Where they could ally her.

Where they could save her."

She sums up that Dageus knows about the Draghar, Cian is the most powerful Druid, Drustan is a warrior beyond corruption, and two more chosen but not on the scene yet.

Quote:"...five years in their future, their world was in chaos, the walls between Man and Faery were down... Though her race could move at will through the past, they could not penetrate a future that had not yet occurred. If one attempted to go forward beyond one's persent existence, one encountered an oppressive white mist... If one went too far back in the past, one encountered the same mist.

She reveals that she sifted back many times from 5.5 years in the future, her present, to change events to put these 5 Druids in Dublin. She hid her changes from her court.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments And we need to figure out who the 4th Unseelie prince was. No one but Mac saw him.

message 27: by Kc (new)

Kc Ok... so if the beast isn't Barrons... could it be Alina? if mac is truely alone? could she have destroyed the last of her line?? I came up with this when I was refusing to believe it could be Barrons.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Kc wrote: "Ok... so if the beast isn't Barrons... could it be Alina? if mac is truely alone? could she have destroyed the last of her line?? I came up with this when I was refusing to believe it could be Barr..."

I thought about it--in denial myself--but Mac seemed pretty clear that the beast was male. She didn't say how, really, but I'm guessing it was supposed to be obvious to look at.

message 29: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments Here are my two cents: Even if the beast is Barrons, I doubt the author is going to kill him cold turkey like that because the story would fall flat(I doubt she would want to alienate the majority of the fans like that if she hopes to continue to have successful sales for her future books/series). I have thought of two possible scenarios: maybe Barrons the beast dies but not Barrons the man (maybe this was the only way to break his curse, ala Beauty and the Beast style?) or perhaps Mac just thinks that she has killed the Beast and in consequence, Barrons too, but of course, he does not die because he has also been cursed with immortality to begin with. In this case, they will have to figure out another way to break this curse. Even though I did not particularly like the mid-scene cliffhanger, it did not leave me really worried or puzzled about Barrons'final fate. Anyways, this is my hunch.
In regards to the 4th unseelie prince, I have a crazy theory about him being the dreamy eyed guy. In Darkfever, when Mac meets him for the first time, she has a kinky fantasy about him having 3 brothers and for a moment she imagines herself having group sex, even if she is not usually inclined to have that kind of fantasies. To me this was pure foreshadowing. Also, this dreamy eyed guy keeps popping out through the books with no real apparent reason. I doubt he's there only as a filler character.

message 30: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments Yes, I think he would still probably keep his special skills because he is still one of the Daoine Sith (like Ryodan and the other weird guys that were with Barrons when he went to rescue Mac from the abbey). Even when Mac went to speak with the old sleepy Irish lady that knew her mom, the old lady said that she did not want anything to do with those Daoine Sith and left Barrons outside. To me this seems a hint about what Barrons might be.
Ah, speaking about Ryodan, do you guys think he went through the mirrors to help Mac to get out or to get her away from the beast to kill her afterward? I don't know...he threatened her with death if she used the IYD phone number, and he seemed to think she would bring trouble...

message 31: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I just finished the book, and I need to write my thoughts down before I read everyone elses! Knowing me, I'll forget all of my own ideas otherwise, so sorry if others have mentioned these same things! Also, I mentioned a couple of these things on the regular Karen Marie Moning thread because I didn't want to open this thread until I finished the book! Also, sorry if I spell some names wrong! One downside to listening to the audiobooks!

First off, when I was getting ready for Dreamfever to come out, I was rereading the first 3. These books are so detailed and I couldn't remember a lot of what had happened. Anyways, in Faefever, Dani copies a few pages of a book for Mac. They are basically journal pages of a young boy that's kidnapped and taken to fairy where he lives for hundreds of years, watching, learning and writing down everything that he sees. Is it possible that boy was Barrons? If it is, of course he's no longer (or maybe never was) just a typical boy. But I wonder if that's why he knows so much about them and their weaknesses.

As for Rowena. I'm really starting to wonder more and more about her motives! From the very start she's refused to help or trust Mac. In fact, she seems to be trying her hardest to get Mac killed! And Rowena certainly doesn't want any of the others to follow her. She refuses to allow the other women to truly learn how to fight and be ANY good what so every! Plus, only the people that she's hand picked really know anything about the Fae or the book. Is it possible that she only wants the book to either keep up appearances, or for the dark fae? She just seems to be thwarting every effort to save the world! Also, how do we know that she isn't the one who put shades in the sphere? She had it long enough before the ceremony! Just my thoughts! Plus, when they found the old woman that knew about Mac's family, she specifically said that she didn't want a word about her to reach the Grand Mistress. Does she know something about Rowena that we don't?

And Ryodan! I just have a major feeling that he's bad news and has possibly flipped sides. Do I think that he's dead? Nope, not for one minute. If he's one of Barrons 8, then he's probably pretty much immortal too. I doubt that a fall off of the cliff would kill him. But, why was he trying to kill IYD all night? Just to get to Mac? I mean, if IYD is Barrons, he had to have had some kind of plan ahead of time of how he would save Mac, and I really don't believe that the only way is for him to end up getting killed. That just doesn't make sense! And the way that Rhyodan was talking, the only way that he could help Mac was to kill IYD. Why not draw her a map? Mark trees? Something along those lines that she could follow while Rhyodan stays far enough away from her and the monster? That whole thing just seems wrong somehow!

Also, Barrons mentions that the "5" that are needed according to the prophesy are the 5 druids, and that the Keltars believe that they are the 5. I don't think so! In the end of Spell of the Highlander, the Queen states that Drustan, Dageus, and Cian are 3 of the 5, but she says "As for her other 2 chosen, she would be seeing them soon." That doesn't sound to me like they are Christian and his dad Christopher. They were right there among the others off and on. Sounds to me like her other 2 were somewhere else entirely! I think that Barrons is one of them, and I'm really not sure about the other. Can a female be a druid? Or is it just in the male line? I mean, we have no idea who Mac's biological father or grandfather are. Maybe they were powerful druids and that's just added to her other talents! I mean, Christian said that it takes a lifetime to learn voice, but she's already using it! And Powerfully! Is it possible that Mac is also a druid?

Also, where's Adam Black during all of this? That's one of the things that's been bugging me for a while. I mean, first off, didn't his son Circeen have most of the Sealy Hallows? Wasn't that what his entire book was about? So, how is it that they are now lost? Also, Darroc, the Lord Master, was an adversary of Adam's. Wouldn't Adam know him and what he might plan to do better than anyone else? Plus he has an interest in making sure the walls go back up considering that his daughter is a Sidhe Seer! Right? So why isn't he helping the MacKeltars?

As for if IYD is Barrons, I think that it's probably him, but I don't think that he's going to die! I think that Mac will find some way to save him, or that because of a curse of something, he can't die. I mean, he wasn't afraid to touch her spear, so it doesn't seem to me tha he was worried about it killing him.

OK, wow! Lots of thoughts going through my head!

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Eclectic1 wrote: "Here are my two cents: Even if the beast is Barrons, I doubt the author is going to kill him cold turkey like that because the story would fall flat(I doubt she would want to alienate the majority ..."

I still have this feeling that the next book is going involve time sifting through the mirrors.

Eclectic1, do you remember in Darkfever where that scene about the Dreamy-eyed Boy fantasy appeared? I'd like to read that again. When Mac tried to look at him in the club, he vibrated like V'lane did. To me, that marks him as fae.

As for Ryodan, why did it take him so much longer to appear than the IYD monster? Mac punched the buttons in order, Barrons, IYCGM, then IYD. IYD came almost immediately, but it took Ryodan almost two sleep cycles. His original threat about calling IYD was because she threatened to 'cry wolf' when she didn't need to, and he thought she was being petty. I think he wanted to save her, but what took him so long? I do think he's dead, though.

message 33: by Sarah (last edited Aug 24, 2009 04:44PM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Read the first post on this forum. I like this person's theory.

http://www.karenmoning.com/forum/show...

Then read here at the bottom about the Four Treasures of Ireland

http://www.triskelle.eu/history/tuath...

Then read here about Dagda's Cauldron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagda

So, if Barron's isn't Draghar and immortal, could Mac find either this cauldron or club to save him? I always wondered why it was important for Dageus to know about draghar if there were none present.

message 34: by Eclectic1 (new)

Eclectic1 Fais | 12 comments You can find the scene where Mac meets the dreamy eyed guy on pages 240-241 of Darkfever. It took me a little while to find this part again :)

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Thanks! I'll take a look.

message 36: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2009 01:05PM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I found the Unseelie King blurb I was thinking about, and it's in Into the Dreaming. Looks like the Unseelie King isn't fully fae, maybe part draghar??

From pg. 92, when the Seelie Queen enters his realm:
"The iciness of his realm stole her breath away. then she saw him and inhaled sharply, sucking in great lungfulls of icy air. Her memory had not done him justice. He was even more exotic than she'd recalled. a palpable darkness surrounded him. He was deadly and powerful, and she knew from intimate experience just how inventively, exhaustively erotic he was. A true master of pain, he understood pleasure as no other could.

'My queen,' he said, his eyes of night and ice glittering.

Even as powerful as the Seelie queen was, she found it impossible to gaze into his eyes for more than a moment. Some claimed they'd been emptied of matter and pure chaos spooned into the sockets.

...When he rose from his throne of ice, and rose and rose, she caught her breath. Not quite fairy, his blood mixed with the blood of a creature even the Fae hesitated to name. His shadow moved unnaturally as he rose, slithering around him, wont to move independently of its host.

...She was young by his standards, for the king of darkness was ancient--sprung from the loins of an age she'd heard of only in legend.

...And when he was upon her, when he had gathered her up and his great wings began to flap, she let her head fall against his icy breast."

message 37: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 65 comments Is there any chance the beast Mac killed could be Vlane? Mac was mentioning how Vlane was starting to take on human expression and emotion. It seemed that the author really described the emotion on the beasts face as it was dying.

I'm thinking that Barrons *might* be the product of the Unseelie King and his concubine. It would explain a lot about him.

I'm currently starting over at Darkfever and working my way through again. Taking notes this time :)

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I think as soon as I finish my Harry Dresden audiobook, I'm going to pick up Darkfever again myself. Theorizing about this series has become my current obsession. :)

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 65 comments Ahh, dreamy-eyed boy as the 4th Unseelie prince. That is brilliant! It WOULD explain why he kept his face out of Mac's view, and why he does keep popping up randomally. I think that theory is a good one!

I thought the first...oh...2/3rds of the book was filler, but the last 1/3rd really had a new twist to things. I didn't think the story would leap into the mirrors the way it did. I did like having more of Dani in the book. By the way, what is SHE? Is she just a really fast seer? Did I miss something about why she cries tears?

Still theorizing about the Beast. I don't want it to be Barrons, but I think Mac calling him her Beast at the beginning of the book while she was pri-ya is foreshadowing. Unless Moning wants us to THINK that. I just never know with her.

message 40: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I think that just happens to be Dani's special talent being able to run fast. As for the crying blood, that was because she was looking at the prince's and they weren't completely shielding themselves. And mortals can't look at them in that form without it hurting them.

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 65 comments
I'm really torn on Barrons. I WANT to like him. I really really do. But I have a hard time seeing him as a "good guy", because there is very little in his actions that make me think he is good. He does some good things, but he is also really awful sometimes. I don't think he is a "bad guy", but more of an anti-hero. Him being half fae would explain that. He wants to do good because he is part human, but at the same time, we know he is a killer and probably likes it.

I think killing Barrons off in the beginning of Shadowfever will be a huge mistake, as another reader said. We just don't know enough about him to see him die. We don't know what he is, what his motives are, or even which side he is really on.

message 42: by Sarah (last edited Aug 26, 2009 04:03PM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments KMM has a blog post here http://bordersblog.com/trueromance/20...

She says after she wraps up the Fever series, she's starting another series in the Fever world.

message 43: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Ng wrote: "
Barrons is a jerk. The way he keeps reminding Mac about what she did when she was Pri-ya...that is just mean. He wants the Book for his own purposes and uses anybody he can to get it."

I don't really agree. I think that it's his defense mechanism. Personally, I believe that Barrons has really fallen for Mac, but she always insists on keeping a professional distance from him. He was terrified about what happened to her and did everything that he could to bring her completely back. And how does she thank him? By taking off and being upset with him. Yes, I understand that she was extremely embarrassed about it all and that's why she got mad, but it still had to hurt him. So, his way of trying to pretend that it meant nothing to him is to constantly bring it up in the way that he does. I think that he's terrified that she will realize how much their time together meant to him!

message 44: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Sarah - thanks for the link! I just have to post a couple of the things on here that were written that just made me laugh!

Hero: Ha! Wouldn’t you like to know?

Heroine: MacKayla Lane, formerly pink Mac, now black-and-a-little savage-Mac. The girl’s gone dark.

Scene you like most and would never cut: When Mac is recovering from being Pri-ya.

Thing your heroine would never be caught dead saying: “Oh, Jericho, I trust you completely!”

Your hero, is he a boxer or brief kind of guy: He’s a get-totally-naked…er, male.

Your hero’s favorite hobby: You’re assuming there is one…hero, that is.

lol, basically one sentence answers to most of the things that we are all thinking!

message 45: by Sarah (last edited Aug 27, 2009 06:35PM) (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "I don't really agree. I think that it's his defense mechanism. Personally, I believe that Barrons has really fallen for Mac, but she always insists on keeping a professional distance from him. He was terrified about what happened to her and did everything that he could to bring her completely back. And how does she thank him? By taking off and being upset with him."

I agree. In his mind, not only did she run off without thanking him, but she ran off after chatting with a Seelie prince! He didn't even get to see her first lucid moment, but V'lane did. That has to chafe. But I see Ng's point. There's only so much prickly, awkward, ass-ness you can take from a character (or two!) before you want to slap them and say "grow up"! But I do still like Barrons. ;)

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Orlich Ahern (kittymeowxcore) | 65 comments Kelley Anne wrote: "Sarah - thanks for the link! I just have to post a couple of the things on here that were written that just made me laugh!

Hero: Ha! Wouldn’t you like to know?

Heroine: MacKayla Lane, former..."

Yea, calling someone a "male" can imply he isn't human. I really want to know who and what Barrons is, and if he is our hero. I'd assume by this point he has to be. >.<

message 47: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, yeah, that and I loved the comment of "Hero: Ha! Wouldn't you like to know?" As in what or who is your hero? lol I though that was funny.

message 48: by Allison (new)

Allison (alitoni) | 46 comments Amanda wrote: "Still theorizing about the Beast. I don't want it to be Barrons, but I think Mac calling him her Beast at the beginning of the book while she was pri-ya is foreshadowing. Unless Moning wants us to THINK that. I just never know with her."

I was curious about that also, however, I think back to the two of them (Mac & Barrons) in the garage and there is the roar of a beast coming from underneath them.

message 49: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments But maybe that was one of the other 8. Maybe they all turn into Beasts. But IYD wouldn't be one of the other 8 because she doesn't know any of them.

message 50: by Allison (new)

Allison (alitoni) | 46 comments As long as it isn't Barrons.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dreamfever (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Marie Moning (other topics)