Polls for Our Souls discussion

Discussion > Did I rate that book fairly?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments Have you ever quickly rated a book and later on thought it wasn't the rating that it deserves?

message 2: by Sassy Sedusa (new)

Sassy Sedusa | 1537 comments Twilight- I gave it a four when after thinking about it, it deserved a 3 or a 2.

message 3: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 126 comments Yep, I sometimes change my rating.

message 4: by quq (new)

quq  (190511) totally
an ember in the ashes was a three or two for me but i initially put it down as a five (?)

message 5: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 111 comments i usually don't change my rating unless i reread the book. like right now i have the first twilight book rated as a 3 because i did actually like it when it read it, but if i reread it now i would definitely lower it to a 2. and i would probably lower all of the vampire chronicles and lord of the rings too but again, i would want to reread them to change the rating fairly.

message 6: by Oscar (new)

Oscar Maquito (oscar02) | 26 comments Unless, Sometimes I Changed My Rating also

Frank-Intergalactic Bookdragon (intergalacticbookdragon) I do but usually not by much
To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo I originally rated this 3 stars but 3 stars are for meh books and I realized I really thought it was worst than meh so I lowered it to 2
The Grisha Trilogy (Grisha Verse #1-3) by Leigh Bardugo I rated all the books 5 stars but then I thought about it and realized this series is by no means that perfect so I lowered it to 4
The Hidden Oracle (The Trials of Apollo, #1) by Rick Riordan I rated this 1 star when I first joined Goodreads but after like a year I realized my taste have expanded a lot since joining and I think I might enjoy it now so I deleted the rating and I'm going to try it again
The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan I gave it 3 because I was bored with it but later I realized this book actually had a really deep effect on me and made me aware of what depression is really like so I upped it to 4

message 8: by Julia (new)

Julia | 114 comments Sometimes. Some books I give two stars because they weren’t that good, but then I up them to three because even though they were just okay, they didn’t make me *upset* by their weaknesses. I reserve two stars for books that upset me, and one star for books that not only angered me but that were also ones I *had* to read for English class! 😛

message 9: by Tyler J (new)

Tyler J Gray (wickedjr89) | 80 comments Not really, I know what I want to rate a book before I do, ratings are pretty subjective. I might on occasion but only if I just finished it in the last day or so, and then it's never by much. I'd want to re-read a book before changing a rating.

message 10: by Ana Mafalda (new)

Ana Mafalda | 8 comments yes, but usually i re-read a book before changing the rating

message 11: by Hunter (new)

Hunter | 51 comments Yeah, it's happened to me a handful of times. Sometimes I give a book a low rating but later realize it's - in my opinion - deserving of a higher one; other times, my initial impressions of a book cause me to rate it highly, though I later realize the story, writing, etc. wasn't that good and proceed to bump down my rating.

message 12: by Aiden (The Book Scourge) (last edited Aug 11, 2018 04:45PM) (new)

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Believe it or not this happened to me a few times.
I rated Ender's Game one star. When I re-read it just a few months later, I gave it four stars. I realized that even though an author can be a crappy person it doesn't meant mean their book is as bad as they are.

I rated The Cursed Child four stars...You guys don't understand how excited I was to read it. I marathoned the Harry Potter series just to read the Cursed Child. A few days after I finished, doubts started to enter my mind. Did I really like it? Or was it because I read all seven without a break to read something else? Was it because I received it from my grandmother and I didn't want to let her know it sucked since she payed forty dollars for it?Ultimately, I rated it one star. I'm certain if I hadn't read it, I would have still enjoyed HP to this day and beyond.

I rated Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children four stars as well. After much consideration I rated it three, then two and then, finally one star. I realized it was nothing but a downgraded YA version of X-Men.

I rated Armada four stars. I loved Ready Player One at time and it never occurred to me they were the same book. Even after I rated Armada one star I still believed RPO was amazing. It wasn't until later at the tail end of last year I read RPO again and absolutely hated it. I'm I'm quite thankful the film changed alot otherwise it would have been the sequel to Gamer if it followed the book exactly.

message 13: by Nyla (new)

Nyla (nylap) | 71 comments Once in a while I change my mind about the rating I have given a book. This usually happens after I have had time to digest it. If I am still thinking/talking about a book six months later, I have to ask myself why that book is so significant to me that it keeps popping up again and again. Also, listening to someone whose opinion I really respect sometimes can influence my rating, positively or negatively. But that's rare.

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 23 comments All the time! Mostly, I rate much, much too highly at first and need to downgrade. There are almost NO times in which I need to upgrade. THe few times have always come after a re-read but all of my downgrades happen after I've given myself time to think.

Most of the time, I'm trying to be nice...and it makes me stop and thing. Who?? am I being "nice" to? And why?? I'm literally trying to be nice to a book O_O and I get over myself and rate realistically. I rate my favorite series at 3 stars. I love the series to death and re-read it every year...but it has its (major) flaws. I figure, if I can be honest (not "nice") about my favorite series, I can be honest about others, too.

message 15: by C.A. (new)

C.A. | 58 comments I'm the opposite of most people here...I rate too low and then later on like maybe a few weeks or months laterI look back and I'm like hmmm, was it really that bad? Maybe I should bump it up a star.

message 16: by C.A. (new)

C.A. | 58 comments Oh also when I was younger I guess had pretty low standards for literature so the older you go into my books read the more and more 4 and 5 star ratings you see. I suppose I was too easily impressed.