Support for Indie Authors discussion

Cover Workshop > Cover help - tragedy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.N. (new)

J.N. Bedout (jndebedout) | 115 comments Seems like the boundary between the dancer image and the blue background is a bit too much of a "hard edge."

message 2: by Anna (last edited Aug 11, 2018 01:34AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 530 comments J.N. has a point. I think the navy is fine but the bright blue, hmm... see what others think maybe. The symbolism isn't clear, the fence, I mean. It will not show up in a thumbnail. Is that a sword and a figure 8?

This sounds negative but that's only because I'm trying to be helpful! It's quite a good cover really, especially the ballerina in the spotlight.

message 3: by M.L. (last edited Aug 11, 2018 08:15AM) (new)

M.L. | 1103 comments Michael wrote: "I'm on the fence about this:
"

There is an image of a chain link fence in the background. So saying you are on the fence is curious. I like the ballerina, it's not an image I see often.

message 4: by B.A. (new)

B.A. A. Mealer | 843 comments I do like the cover. When it says a tragedy, my guess is that fence has a lot to do with it. As a reader, I would look at the blurb to see what the book was about and if that was good, take a look at the first page or two. I'm not an expert, but looking at it from my reader perspective.

message 5: by David (new)

David Humphrey | 16 comments Here's my thoughts:
1. The main fonts need to change. Scripty type fonts look amateurish, don't scan well and are unreadable from a thumbnail.
2. The chain link image over blue should be superimposed over the ballerina shot.
3. Then make the ballerina/fence image full height and lose the blue bars. If you need to keep the blue layer it as a grad over the image.
4. Lose the sword & ring graphic - its too prominent. If it has to stay make it half the size and put it in a corner.
5. Authors name should be bigger (keep at bottom)

message 6: by David (new)

David Humphrey | 16 comments That would be a much better image, Tom!

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica Forrest | 14 comments I don't think changing the title font was a good call, the script was far better

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Thatcher (jenna_thatcher) | 132 comments Ok, having skipped all the comments (sorry), here's what I would do, take whatever two cents you'd like:
Make the cover black. Show the legs coming down in dance position. Just simplify it, basically. Then make the fonts slightly edgier (except your name), and the subtitle could still be simple, but maybe italicized?
I say this because I really think the simple with the black background could get across your tragedy/drama really well, and simple covers can be very eye-catching.