Support for Indie Authors discussion

Blurb Workshop > blurb help - tragedy teen romance

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4333 comments Mod
I guess all I have for starters are some questions: Why do you call this "Literary Fiction"? Are you not excited about your book? I'm not feeling any excitement from this.

message 2: by Junkomi (new)

Junkomi Eno | 28 comments Dwayne wrote: "I guess all I have for starters are some questions: Why do you call this "Literary Fiction"? Are you not excited about your book? I'm not feeling any excitement from this."

I would have to agree. Kind of just...feel like...well, It almost sounds like you summed up the plot of an outline then a blurb to get people to read your book.

message 3: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Thank you, Wolfy. I keep coming back and wondering if I'm missing something.

Michael, for Literary Fiction, you're going to need more. You need something for a reader to really bite into. Show us there is some depth to the book. This reads like, "I met a girl. I lost a girl. Ho hum. Such is life." I want to make a connection to the character, but this gives me nothing to grab.

message 4: by Junkomi (last edited Aug 10, 2018 08:42PM) (new)

Junkomi Eno | 28 comments Yeah, I am not sure about Literary Fiction (I believe it is more about characters and conflicts they deal with on the inside?) none the less...Dwayne is right, you need more depth. Like maybe:

When you lose something right before your eyes, how do you feel? [insert main character name] meets the [insert lover to soon die name] he feels like he finally found the one thing in his life he needed, but what will he do once that one thing is dead and buried in the abyss of the darkness?

Or something...I don't know. xD Literary Fiction is not my thing but still the thing is creating a good hook to make your readers go "Holy shit...I want to read this! Take my money." But yeah, I know what you mean Dwayne, I read through the thing three times and I actually still don't know what is going on. I don't know who the characters are...so I cannot really care too much.

Michael wrote: "...I hate making blurbs."

Blurbs are usually pretty easy. It is just a matter of knowing your story and figuring out what will hook the reader.

message 5: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Michael wrote: "Such is the conundrum. Yes, I am excited about it. The ending is a bit... rough. So if I tell too much about how things end up, then so much for the ending.

I hate making blurbs."

Blurbs are tough little boogers.

And I hear ya. Literary fiction is my main genre and the blurbs are especially tricky. The best stuff in the book is buried deep, but the blurb must focus on the beginning. I generally look at the first 1/4 of the book and ask myself, "What's the most interesting aspect of this part of the book?" Never mind that it's probably the least interesting part of the book. So, that's a place to start. Also, think about your main character(s) and what you think might draw people to them.

message 6: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Wolfy wrote: "Yeah, I am not sure about Literary Fiction (I believe it is more about characters and conflicts they deal with on the inside?)..."

That's one way to go. I read a lot of literary fiction and it's what I enjoy writing the best. Often times it is not plot heavy, but more about theme or the inner workings of the characters.

message 7: by Junkomi (new)

Junkomi Eno | 28 comments Dwayne wrote: "Wolfy wrote: "Yeah, I am not sure about Literary Fiction (I believe it is more about characters and conflicts they deal with on the inside?)..."

That's one way to go. I read a lot of literary fict..."

Ah. Thought so. I suck at plot, so I guess my works would be considered Literary Fiction...maybe. Which if that is the case...I guess I have written Literary Fiction (though maybe they would be more slice-of-life? As I have never ever heard of a Literary Fiction Light Novel.)

Still, I agree with what Dwayne said look for some interesting part in your book. Or something about your main character that might make them stand out. I mean, even if House M.D is a movie, we see the main character House and how he is and acts. He isn't forgettable. So, what is special about your main-character? Is this sixteen year old boy a wizard? A genius who sits in chairs with an odd posture like L from Death Note? Does he think about the biological complexities of reproduction within the skin tissue of organic feminine organisms? It is good to know your characters well so you can use their traits to your advantage as they can hook your reader to the character or make them interested in reading what will happen.

Anyways, I think I have said enough ^-^; good luck Michael. :D

message 8: by M.L. (last edited Aug 11, 2018 08:10AM) (new)

M.L. | 1122 comments Michael wrote: "sry not 'romance' but 'literary fiction'

It was probably better to just sit on the sidelines until I could figure out how humans reproduced... "

It sounded like literary/coming of age, something, until that line above, which more SF or paranormal. If at his age he doesn't know "how" he must be from somewhere far away/in another world.

I don't think the blurb is crappy. That last line is the intro to something, or if not then he's being a drama king. Which is it? :)

message 9: by Pamela (last edited Aug 14, 2018 04:37AM) (new)

Pamela Harju (pamelaharju) | 81 comments Your second attempt is much better, but you need a hook to draw us in. Also, what is that something else? I realise you might not want to give it away, but is it a secret? A threat?

I understand the difficulty of writing a love story with an unhappy ending. I have such a book, and I really struggled with the blurb! It's hard to avoid the romance angle.

message 10: by Kaylee (new)

Kaylee Dolat | 91 comments The blurb you wrote doesn't pull me in as a reader. It's honestly a book I would scroll past in the kindle store.

Give me action.

Something that will make me go "Ohhhh, that's different."

Does anything exciting happen in your book? Are YOU excited about your own book? For example throw in a plot twist!

"A sixteen year old boy meets the love of his life only to have her ripped from him before their story even began. Afraid to approach her, he's labeled a creep and gay, a deadly combination to more than just him. Tragedy took them apart, but in her death can they somehow become closer than before?"

Something like that wouldn't give away the plot, make it known it's a tragedy and not a happy ending, and provide a little mystery and action for the reader to bite into. Like that would make me feel that there's more to her death than meets the eye and excite me to read the book.

Blurbs suck. I get it. I hate doing mine every time. Mainly because I do two full paragraphs and have to cut it down. Painful.

message 11: by Junkomi (new)

Junkomi Eno | 28 comments Michael wrote: "<<
This short, gut-wrenching tragedy follows a sixteen-year-old boy as he tries to reconcile the mixed messages society throws at him. Afraid of being branded a creep, he avoids looking at girls on..."

Looks a bit better but what about this 16 year old boy? I assume he has a name? For someone like me, who cares about characters, it really makes me not really want to read it if the blurb just says: "It follows [insert age & gender]"

As others have stated there does need to be something to hook the reader other then just "Throughout his journey, there's something... else... going on that threatens to overshadow the entire conversation." it just seems cheap and a bit of a cop-out. What is this something? A person? A cult? Weather? A black hole? Just needs to be something or some sort of abstract concept other then "something... else..."

Still keep working at it ^-^ it is getting there.