Hooked on Books discussion

Archive > GROUP bingo - Round 2!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Brave (last edited Sep 02, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Brave (bravereads) Hello, everyone! Welcome to our second round of GROUP BINGO! (For our INDIVIDUAL bingo, click here.)

For this edition of bingo, participants will work together to try to completely cover the bingo card! You can do as many or as few of the challenges you would like, but try to remember that this is a group effort.

The first person to post a book that fits a challenge will get credit for finishing that challenge. So for example, if Sgt. Pepper posts that he read a book he got from the library before anyone else did, he would get credit for that task, and it would be marked as “completed” on the bingo card.

The group bingo card is also a bit more difficult than the individual bingo card, which I think makes sense. It’s easy to complete harder tasks in general with the support of people cheering you on!

This bingo challenge will run from SUNDAY, August 12, 2018 until the bingo card is covered, and then there will be a NEW group bingo challenge. Here’s our bingo card, the purple squares are COMPLETED tasks!:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Only books started on or after August 12, 2018 will count toward this challenge. When you’ve finished a challenge, post the challenge you completed with the book that fits it! I’ll keep track of our bingo card, and update it as we complete challenges.

If you’d like to participate, go ahead and say so below! Please start a new message thread for each challenge completed as it will make it easier for me to track. :) Thank you!

(As with the individual bingo, the post below will clarify these challenges a little bit, but if you have more questions, feel free to ask them!)

message 2: by Brave (last edited Aug 11, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Brave (bravereads) From left to right across the card:

a book you think will be a 5-star read: It doesn’t have to ultimately be a 5-star read, just one you think might be. Let us know what you actually rated it when you claim this one!

a book with a writing instrument on the cover: Pens, pencils, quills, even markers-- all of these would count for this.

a book about brothers: Since my house is currently full of brothers, they are close to my heart, and I’d love to see some books about brothers being read. East of Eden is probably one of the best-known brother stories, but The Sisters Brothers or The Outsiders would count, too!

a graphic novel written by a woman: Self-explanatory. (My recommendation would be Nimona, or maybe Through the Woods or This One Summer.)

a book that features Asian main characters or written by an Asian author: This is also a self-explanatory task. A Tale for the Time Being, The Vegetarian, or anything by Haruki Murakami would count here.

a book with a book on the cover: Self-explanatory! Some of my suggestions:
Used and Rare Travels in the Book World by Lawrence Goldstone , Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan , Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell (lots of books about books have books on their covers).

a book by an author that has/uses three names: Self-explanatory, I’m sure, but I am counting names as words with spaces, not just initials. For example: Gene Luen Yang would count, J.K. Rowling would not.

a book with double letters in the title: “Double letters” here means two of the same letter, side-by-side in a word. Examples: Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters (Ella or Minnow), A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Tree or Brooklyn), Will Grayson, Will Grayson (Will).

a book written between 1800-1899: This list might be a helpful jumping-off point, but some of the books were published in 1900, so they would not count here. Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice...lots of lasting favorites are from this time period! And if you’re ever not sure of when a book was first published, it’ll be on the Goodreads page for a book.

book with 6+ words in the title: Articles WILL count toward your six words. For example: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet would count as eight words.

a book set during World War I: I feel like WWII books are a lot more common and prevalent, but I recently read Fall of Giants which takes place during WWI and really enjoyed it! I also felt like I learned a lot from it. I believe this list would be a good jumping-off point!

a book rated four stars or higher on Goodreads: Check a book's average star rating on its main page, just under the author’s name. Anything with a 4.0 or higher average rating counts!

ANY BOOK you get from the library: Exactly what it says. You can read absolutely any book you want to count for this challenge, as long as you got it out from the library. Honor system!

a book that has been turned into a movie: There are so many options for this one, because it seems like a lot of great movies in previous years have been inspired by or based on books! If you’ve also seen the movie, let us know how it holds up.

a book over 800 pages: Bring out your big books, but read them however you want to (audiobooks count)!

an autobiography, memoir, or biography: Let’s learn a little! Grab some non-fiction and check it out, bonus points if it’s about someone different than you. I read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings about a year and a half ago, and it changed me. There are loads of good ones out there, but I also enjoyed Bossypants and John Adams.

a book you feel like everyone EXCEPT you has read: This will ultimately be up to interpretation. My example: I haven’t ever read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or Every Heart a Doorway, but I feel like all of my irl and online bookish friends (and others I watch on BookTube or follow on Bookstagram) have read these!

a book set at a school or university: Even fictitious ones, as in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, will count for this!

a book by an author with an X in their name: Anywhere in the name. Even if it’s just an initial like Emily X.R. Pan.

a book with a “fiery” cover: Open to interpretation. Is it just the colors that make you think “fire” or is there actual fire on the cover? Bonus: this will also count toward your reading challenge for this month in the group!

a book with an “earthy” cover: Another which could count toward your reading challenge this month! Trees? Dirt? Earth tone colors? However you interpret this is fine with me (but if you think I won’t get it, maybe explain your interpretation).

a book in the science non-fiction genre: I love science, and it is two of our boys’ favorite school subjects, so let’s get nerding out together over something. (I could personally recommend Periodic Tales: The Curious Lives of the Elements, The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer, or Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.)

a book that you think might make you cry: Let us know a book you thought might make you cry but didn’t, or a book that surprised you when it actually made you cry-- once you’ve read it! (Mine? A Million Junes. All the tears.)

a fantasy or science fiction read: If there is Science Fiction and/or Fantasy in the genre section on the main Goodreads page of a book, it would count here!

a book that’s been on your TBR for at least 2 years: A physical TBR or just your mental TBR, it will count here! It’s just time to give a book that was getting a little neglected some love. :)

That’s it! If you have more questions, ask them below! Good luck, everyone!

message 4: by Sierra (new)

Sierra Lynn Woooooo! Excitement!

message 5: by Leane (new)

Leane | 2748 comments I'm in this time!

message 6: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments Oooo i wanna play!

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 511 comments Me! I'll play.

message 8: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) I'm in to play too!

message 9: by Sandy Mckenzie (new)

Sandy Mckenzie | 25 comments I'm in. Sounds like fun!

message 10: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 47 comments I'm in as well :)

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (thelongnamedreader) I’m in too!

message 12: by Dani (new)

Dani Wood (zeldamay93) | 10 comments Sounds intriguing, I’m in!

message 13: by Joni (new)

Joni | 88 comments I'm in!

message 14: by zahraa (new)

zahraa al lawati (laloolawati) | 34 comments I’m in!

message 15: by Sagar (new)

Sagar (bibliophilsagar) | 17 comments I am so in

message 16: by June (new)

June | 49 comments I’ll join

message 17: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 10 comments I’ll join

message 18: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Hooray! I hope the books you've started for our bingo card are good so far!

message 19: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 42 comments I'd like to join

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pandareader36) | 48 comments I'll like to join

message 21: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments Question: do picture books count or does it need to be at least 100 pages to count?

message 22: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Erika wrote: "Question: do picture books count or does it need to be at least 100 pages to count?"

I'm going to say for this group bingo challenge, unless otherwise stated, books should be "novel-length," however you interpret that. (98 pages is fine with me.)

For the individual bingo, I don't care so much about how people interpret that, but since there are people working toward a group effort here, I'd like to keep it a bit more challenging, if that makes sense! :)

message 23: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments That makes sense to me :)

message 24: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments Any Book You Get From a Library- completed

If they come for us by Fatimah Asghar

message 25: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments A Graphic Novel written by a woman- completed

Jane by Aline Brosh McKenna

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Broyles | 511 comments On my TBR since April 2016 - The Siren The Siren by Kiera Cass

message 27: by Leane (new)

Leane | 2748 comments A book rated four stars or higher on Goodreads

To Catch a Witch I finished last night.

message 28: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 47 comments A book that has been turned into a movie: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, finished August 17th.

message 29: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff | 10 comments Do we do this individually or do we split up tasks?

message 30: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Slytherpuff wrote: "Do we do this individually or do we split up tasks?"

Everyone works together to fill up the board. There is an individual bingo game you can also participate in! The tasks aren't really split up-- it's just whoever claims it first. :)

message 31: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Having an issue with the program I use to update our bingo card, but I will do so ASAP!

message 32: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments A book with double letters in the title- The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events) by Lemony Snicket

message 33: by Slytherpuff (last edited Aug 18, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

Slytherpuff | 10 comments I'm reading a fantasy book
A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir

Date Read: 8/16

message 34: by Slytherpuff (last edited Aug 20, 2018 10:17AM) (new)

Slytherpuff | 10 comments Reading a fiery cover

The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey by Rick Yancy

Date Read: 8/19

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 1587 comments I hope I'm not to late to join in

message 36: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Susan wrote: "I hope I'm not to late to join in"

You aren't! :)

message 37: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Our bingo card has been updated. Went with purple completed squares this time.

message 38: by Slytherpuff (last edited Aug 24, 2018 11:17AM) (new)

Slytherpuff | 10 comments The Infinite Sea
a book that I think will be 5 stars
Date Read: 8/22

message 39: by Joni (last edited Aug 20, 2018 12:43PM) (new)

Joni | 88 comments Finished The Charlotte Perkins Gilman Reader for a book written 1800-1899

message 40: by June (new)

June | 49 comments Finished Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel, #1) by Josiah Bancroft - for a book with earthy cover - mainly beige and black for mud and red can represent fire dep in the earth.

message 41: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Bingo card updated!

message 42: by Gabriela (new)

Gabriela | 47 comments Finished Glitterland (Glitterland, #1) by Alexis Hall by Alexis Hall for a book by an author with an X in their name :)

message 43: by Courtney (last edited Aug 22, 2018 06:25PM) (new)

Courtney (thelongnamedreader) I have a question! would this title count as 6 words? Kindest Regards New and Selected by Ted Kooser If so, I want to claim it as that. I just finished it today. On the book page it says Kindest Regards: New and Selected, but on the actual book cover it says Kindest Regards: New and Selected Poems. I just wasn't sure if it counted as a subtitle or not.

message 44: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments Just finished a 6 word title-
The Little Book of Feminist Saints by Julia Pierpont

message 45: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 212 comments I'm in

message 46: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) Courtney wrote: "I have a question! would this title count as 6 words? Kindest Regards New and Selected by Ted Kooser If so, I want to claim it as that. I just finished it today. On the book page it says Ki..."

Yes, for future reference, I would count subtitles! :)

message 47: by Brave (new)

Brave (bravereads) We have our first bingo!!! The card has been updated! :)

message 48: by Leane (new)

Leane | 2748 comments a book by an author that has/uses three names

I just finished Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7) by Kathy Hogan Trocheck by Kathy Hogan Trocheck

message 49: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments Yay Bingo!!

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Dunton (willowstarserenity) Book with over 800 Pages

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5) by George R.R. Martin

« previous 1