Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Should exact title match book cover or match Amazon?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L J (new)

L J | 18 comments Am I doing the right thing matching title to title shown on book even though it conflicts with what is shown on Amazon?
Sometimes title listed for book is in all caps when it is not that way on the book cover or title page, if title page is shown.
Another title issue I am seeing is missing hyphen. Book cover, all formats, show word as hyphenated but some formats have hyphen and some show two separate words.
This seems to be an obvious and easy fix and that is what I've been doing. Then I looked for one of the books I was interested in on Amazon. Amazon has these same variations from the norm on the same formats. I go with matching title shown on book and that is what Librarian Manual says but I found nothing that address what to do if this conflicts with Amazon. Does this create a problem or is it ignorable conflict?

message 2: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments Match the book, not Amazon. However, if the title is in all caps on the book we do not leave it that way, but use the typical capitalization for whichever language is involved.

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16414 comments It should match the actual book. Amazon is loaded with errors and lately, ad-word filled titles.
Titles should never be in all caps.
Differences don't create problems with Amazon as it goes by the ISBN or ASIN, not the title.

message 4: by L J (new)

L J | 18 comments Thanks Abcdarian and Scott. That's what I have been doing. Wanted to be sure since I seem to be seeing more of both issues I mentioned plus the ad-word filled titles Scott mentioned, which I also fix when I see them.
I knew Amazon went by ISBN or ASIN, I just wanted to be sure I did not run afoul of a rule change as rules sometimes change without me noticing.