Play Book Tag discussion

X (Kinsey Millhone, #24)
This topic is about X
Archive: Other Books > X by Sue Grafton 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7198 comments Three things are going on in Kinsey Millhone's life during the moment. She is helping her friend Ruth by going through a box of her late husband's and ends up working on solving something Pete left behind. She and her landlord, Henry, have new neighbours from hell and then there is the problem left behind after she finds some information for a wealthy woman. Confused? The book isn't confusing, I'm just making this brief.

As part of the story, Grafton puts a word in for water conservation.

I am not normally a Grafton reader--I read one once at my mother-in-law's fairly early on in the Alphabet series, but this time I listened to the audiobook which I enjoyed more. I liked it, but am not going to go back and read all of the books I missed. I needed a book with a title starting with the letter X and also am reading a challenge where I need to read a number of books in series (not all the same one). It is possible I might listen to another one that begins with a difficult letter, and/or read the Y book.

Theresa | 7410 comments I enjoyed this one a lot. Had not read a Grafton since H or I. As with all series, some are better than others. Of those I have read so far, my favorite by far is G is for Gumshoe. Try it.

As for me, I will definitely read some of those I missed because I enjoy Kinsey and the world she still lives in.

message 3: by Michelle M. (new) - added it

Michelle M. | 46 comments I started the series a long time ago but never finished. I'm ready to pick it up again! Think I will start from the beginning!

message 4: by ShazM (new)

ShazM | 379 comments Theresa wrote: "I enjoyed this one a lot. Had not read a Grafton since H or I. As with all series, some are better than others. Of those I have read so far, my favorite by far is G is for Gumshoe. Tr..."

I agree, G is my favourite too. I suppose like a lot of series they tend to be better at the start. I lost interest around S. I think I own V but I haven't read it yet.

message 5: by Karin (last edited Aug 19, 2018 03:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 7198 comments ShazM wrote: "Theresa wrote: "I enjoyed this one a lot. Had not read a Grafton since H or I. As with all series, some are better than others. Of those I have read so far, my favorite by far is [book:G is for Gum..."

Sometimes they can fluctuate up and down as in Alan Bradley's Flavia series or the Brother Cadfael series, and then audiobooks are awesome if they are well narrated by the same narrator because that can help even out the enjoyment.

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments I find that series usually get better as they go forward. That said, I can't speak for this one as I tried A long ago and didn't like it much.

Karin | 7198 comments annapi wrote: "I find that series usually get better as they go forward. That said, I can't speak for this one as I tried A long ago and didn't like it much."

It depends on the series, yes some do.

message 8: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7867 comments Michelle M. wrote: "I started the series a long time ago but never finished. I'm ready to pick it up again! Think I will start from the beginning!"

Me too-just picked A is for Alibi at used book sale!

Theresa | 7410 comments One thing about series, at least for me, is I need some distance from entry to entry ... or more like an extended vacation after having read several over a period of time. I start to know the author's writing quirks and patterns too well, become uber critical. Sometimes like with Grafton, that extended vacation goes on a tad long so when I pick up the series again, it feels fresh.

A series with the same characters is not going to have each entry differ greatly from the last. They will evolve over the long arc, not the short.

message 10: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3394 comments Grafton seems up my alley but the idea of a series from A to Z is daunting! (Z is done, no?)

Maybe someday, but like Theresa I also need distance in a series from book to book. Mainly because I like diversity and the same characters and storyline or genre over and over bore me.

message 11: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5068 comments No, she died of cancer last year (Dec 28, 2017) and never finished Z is for Zero. The last book is Y is for Yesterday.

Karin | 7198 comments Theresa wrote: "One thing about series, at least for me, is I need some distance from entry to entry ... or more like an extended vacation after having read several over a period of time. I start to know the autho..."

Yes, I am the same way for longer series, but don't like to do that for trilogies or short series. But some series I just get sick and tired of regardless of how long the breaks are and I leave those.

Theresa | 7410 comments Karin wrote: "Theresa wrote: "One thing about series, at least for me, is I need some distance from entry to entry ... or more like an extended vacation after having read several over a period of time. I start t..."

Also reading tastes and interests change