Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's Jumping July Reads

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments The Outsider by Stephen King The Outsider. Read by Wil Patton. 4/5

A coach is arrested for the brutal, horrific murder of a young boy he coached, but evidence surfaces that he was attending a conference (speaker Harlan Coben!) at the time of the murder. Can a person be in two places at the same time? Of course with King, anything is possible, and he weaves his usual hocus-pocus boogeyman into a can’t-put-downable tale. I will always associate Wil Patton with James Lee Burke’s Dave Robicheaux, but he does well except for a very breathy female character. I think he is trying to depict her halting speech and limited social skills but it doesn't quite work.

Sunburn by Laura Lippman Sunburn. Read by Susan Bennett. 4.5/5.

This was a lazy mystery that slowly built up steam. I didn’t know how Polly and Adam were going to wind up but it was a fun ride getting there. Competently read by Susan Bennett.

Crimson Lake (Crimson Lake, #1) by Candice Fox Crimson Lake. Read by Euan Morton. 4.5/5

I love tales from Australia, especially if I listen to them in that clanging Aussie accent, and this was not a disappointment. Fox has given us two characters with amazingly complicated backstories, yet she weaved them together brilliantly, and threw in a current day crime to book. I can’t wait to read another.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Carol Three good books! Based on your four star rating you aren't sorry I encouraged you to stick with The Outsider. Whew. The (re)introduction of said "breathy-voiced" female character was a treat for me; somewhat offsetting the horror of the first part of the book.
And two group reads - weren't they excellent selections! I look forward to your comments on the group read threads. Both are memorable books.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3620 comments nice month, carol. i've had Sunburn on my shelf forever. need to get to it soon.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3604 comments Good month, Carol! I need to get The Outsider read.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Good month Carol.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1610 comments I see a few good ones to try!

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Ann wrote: "Carol Three good books! Based on your four star rating you aren't sorry I encouraged you to stick with The Outsider. Whew. The (re)introduction of said "breathy-voiced" female character was a treat..."

No , I am glad you encouraged me to stick with The Outsider, Ann. And you are right about the surprise character introduction -- that definitely gave me a much needed lift.

message 8: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 205 comments I liked your take in The Outsider. Haven't read it yet. I like these monthly reads discussions as it gives me ideas on what I might want to read. I thought Crimson Lake was awesome!

message 9: by Ann (last edited Aug 25, 2018 03:33PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14407 comments Ceelee - yes, we get lots of ideas, sometimes too many to read them all!
Reading The Outsider and Crimson Lake close together was in some ways difficult, but both are very good and ultimately quite different.
Ceelee wrote: "I liked your take in The Outsider. Haven't read it yet. I like these monthly reads discussions as it gives me ideas on what I might want to read. I thought Crimson Lake was awesome!"

message 10: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7898 comments Ceelee wrote: "I liked your take in The Outsider. Haven't read it yet. I like these monthly reads discussions as it gives me ideas on what I might want to read. I thought Crimson Lake was awesome!"

As you can see Ceelee I highly recommend The Outsider; hope you pick it up.