Play Book Tag discussion

How to Stop Time
This topic is about How to Stop Time
Archive: Other Books > How to Stop Time, by Matt Haig: 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments The real life story of Nicholas Flamel! Just kidding, but similar concept. In our world, as is, Tom Hazard is an albatross. Meaning for every one year we age, it takes Tom 15 years to age. We see Tom growing up, falling in love, realizing there are more albatross' out there "just like him" and watch him very slowly grow up. I liked the concept of this, I thought it was well thought out, the author touches on many of the nuances that this concept would bring, and does it with a heartwarming touch.

As usual for books that flip flop between the past and the present, I found the past to be way more interesting. Loved the part about Rose, during the Shakespearean era. It's really fun to see references from the old compared to modern days. Like what if F. Scott Fitzgerald was on tinder, who would he swiping right, and who left? Super fun. Tom was well developed, I loved the "search" for Marian, and was rooting for Tom the whole time.

There was a lot of DRAMA right at the end of the book. I felt it a little unnecessary. I also felt the modern day romance plot was contrived. This is a book about the condition of life, the emotions of love, and trying to find what stands the test of time. We didn't really need such a dramatic plotline towards the end that didn't seem to fit with the tone of the rest of the book.

KateNZ | 2505 comments I enjoyed this very much as well. I agree with your comments about the contrived nature of bits of the modern story - it didn’t spoil the rest for me but it was a bit of a distraction. At least it all came together in the end