SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Ammonite
This topic is about Ammonite
What Else Are You Reading? > "Ammonite" by Nicola Griffith (BR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Here’s our thread for the Ammonite buddy read, which starts August 15! Please feel free to join whenever you can and go at your own pace. Also, please hide spoilers behind tags and try to mention which page/chapter/completion percentage you’re at so we can all follow along!

message 2: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9646 comments Mod
Yay, will I finally actually read this instead of repeatedly saying I'll read it soon?

message 3: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
We think we can, we think we...we hope we can, Oh God, why did we say we could!!

No, no, we think we can, we think we can...

Ariana | 657 comments Ahhhhh! This wasn't on my radar, so I hadn't planned on joining in, but it looks so interesting. And I'm only just starting to get caught up on buddy reads. Ahhhhh!

message 5: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Do it Ariana!

message 6: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Yesss, give innnn, start reading one more book, Ariana! It'll be fun!

(I really need to do some charity work in the shoulder angel department, I seem to be doing a lot for the shoulder devil association lately.)

Ariana | 657 comments ... and it was checked in at the library. Clearly a sign I should join in.
So what do we think is the upper limit for speeding up the playback on audio books and still being able to process everything?

message 8: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lol. The secret for me is to start off not too fast and steadily crank it up. I'm doing Book Thief at 2x speed. I should see if this one's audio, too...

Gabi | 3405 comments Looks like I can join as well. I own the book and I'm half through with my current read.

message 10: by Gabi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments So, this BR doesn't start today, does it?

message 11: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I don't know! I know I won't start today, but I could start tomorrow if lots of other people are starting?

message 12: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

It seems like the majority of us will be starting in a couple days, but if you're ready to go and don't mind a sort of delayed response, don't let that stop you!

message 13: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments I am ready to start this whenever y’all are. No rush.

message 14: by Gabi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Ready any time.

message 15: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'll be ready to start tomorrow or Tuesday.

message 16: by Gabi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments I already started, cause I fear otherwise I'll get into problems with my other BRs.

The writing is very enjoyable, I had no problems to dive into the story.
Ch 1
(view spoiler)

Travis Foster (travismfoster) | 1154 comments I should be able to get a copy by this Friday and will be starting then.

message 18: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just read chapter 1, definitely intrigued! I don't usually have trouble deciding on my own, or simply not thinking about it at all, but how do you pronounce Marghe? Like Margue(rite), Marge, Marr-ghey, something else? I've been trying to go for Marg(uerite), but I don't understand why her nickname is spelled in a completely different way. Of all the things to get stuck on!

message 19: by Gabi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments :D That's really something to get stuck on :D.
My subconsciousness went for "Margue" as pronounciation.

message 20: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margue it is. I think it's because my innate name pronouncing self always defaults to Finnish, and Marghe would sound terrible in Finnish! On to chapter 2.

message 21: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter 2

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Gabi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Ch2 (view spoiler)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Just bought it from Kindle! I’ll get started on it as soon as I’m done with The Changeling and The Fifth Season. Finally I may be in time to actually join a buddy read XD

message 24: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments I’ll start later today! So glad y’all are liking it so far!

message 25: by Gabi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Yeah! Chapter 3 had some of the "strange new world" descriptions I'm so looking for in SF novels!

Ch3: (view spoiler)

message 26: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi, I thought of you when I read that part of chapter 3! :D And I thought of Allison, and have sent her a trigger warning.

I was too tired to read yesterday, but I woke up in the middle of the night and read a couple chapters. I didn't make notes, but I've gotten to what feels like is going to be "the good parts".

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I finally tore myself away from my latest binge of short fiction to start this book, and I’m already very impressed. Chapter 1 is atmospheric, tense, and mysterious. I feel like I’m in the hands of a strong and capable storyteller, and I find Marghe compelling and interesting. Onward!

message 28: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I've finished chapter 8, and there's some stuff I'm not very good with. I took a break and am cheering myself up with Murderbot. I'm going to continue later, and based on where it left off I think things might move in a new direction very soon, so maybe it'll be less icky for me.

message 29: by Gabi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Chapter 8 indeed is a grim one, it gets easier in the next one.

message 30: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I did actually continue straight on to chapter 9, because I noticed it (view spoiler) Much easier to read, and back on the track I'm interested in!

My problem with chapters 4-8 (or thereabouts) is (view spoiler)

message 31: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gabi, re your spoiler for chapter 1 (view spoiler)

I am liking it, though! I like how the mystery's been unfurled and some of the character details we're starting to tease out.

message 32: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi/Allison, chapter 1, (view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I just finished chapter 8. Has anyone here played the PS4 game Horizon Zero Dawn? I wonder whether anyone working on that game had read this book. What links them in my mind is (view spoiler)

I hesitate to say I’m enjoying the book, because it’s tough going. I’m definitely finding it intriguing, and I think Griffith’s writing has a strong clarity and vividness. I don’t read blurbs so I truly have no notion of what’s to come.

message 34: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Argh, must read faster! I desperately want to know how this is like Horizon Zero Dawn!

message 35: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Aug 23, 2018 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Allison, you'll get to it in a few chapters, don't need to wait until 8!

And no, I haven't played it.

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Allison wrote: "Argh, must read faster! I desperately want to know how this is like Horizon Zero Dawn!"

So you have played it, Allison?

message 37: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Am still playing! And by playing I mean my spouse does the controller bits and I ask incessant questions about what is over there and can we listen to it.

message 38: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I looked at a Horizon Zero Dawn trailer and I guess I have to upgrade to PS4 now! I'm still on PS3, because I pretty much stopped playing to be able to read more.

message 39: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Oh, it's so, so good. Brilliant storytelling.

message 40: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Well, if I disappear from the group for a few months, you'll know why :D

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Allison wrote: "Oh, it's so, so good. Brilliant storytelling."

Agreeeeed. The manner in which it parcels out information is just devastating and so well crafted. And it just gets better and better and deeper and deeper the more it unfolds.

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I just read chapter 10. (view spoiler)

Gabi, I know you finished the book. How far along are other folks?

message 43: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I haven't read since yesterday (chapter 9). I was going to continue tonight, but I started another book accidentally on purpose, and can't put it down.

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Anna wrote: "I haven't read since yesterday (chapter 9). I was going to continue tonight, but I started another book accidentally on purpose, and can't put it down."

“Accidentally on purpose” is a wonderful phrase. What book is it?

message 45: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 3 stars

I may have started The Calculating Stars a bit early :)

message 46: by Gabi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments @Anna/Allison Ch 1 (view spoiler)

@Anna reg. spoiler 4-8: I rarely read blurbs, so there was no expectation on my part.

@Anna ch9 (view spoiler)

@Anthony ch10: my feeling as well.

Like Anthony said, I finished the book, but I'm still not sure how to rate it (I've seen ppl giving half a star - how is this done?) There were parts I liked very much and others where I expected... more. I'm waiting for others to go along and join in the discussion if this is okay.

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I agree re the Danner POV chapters. A very well-drawn character indeed.

Is anyone else reminded of the plot of Alien/Aliens, etc regarding (view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments @Gabi I have no issue with you waiting for others to join in the discussion, and can’t imagine anyone else would have an issue.

message 49: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

*Hurries to read*

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Just finished chapter 12 and (view spoiler)

Anyone agree?

« previous 1 3