The Ink to Film Book Club discussion

INTRODUCTIONS-Favorite adaptations!

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Luke (last edited Aug 30, 2019 07:36PM) (new)

Luke Elliott (luminousluke) | 140 comments Mod
Let us know a little about yourself and what your favorite adaptations are!

message 2: by Amanda (last edited Aug 27, 2019 07:21AM) (new)

Amanda Van Parys (mandalaaxo) | 27 comments My name is Amanda Van Parys (pronounced Paris), I'm 34, I live if FL (hello fellow Floridian podcast hosts!) and have lived in the Tampa Bay area my whole life. I've been with the podcast since about mid 2018. I'm almost caught up! I read A LOT, so I'm always struggling to catch up on my podcasts :)

It's really hard to think about your favorite adaptation... But I do remember that I used to watch Interview With The Vampire pretty much every day after school in 9th grade but I've never actually read the book lol. I think it was more like a habitual comfort thing... somehow... I switched schools right before 9th grade, so I was very lonely and depressed and going through a ton of PTSD, so as a 14yo, I think IWTV was just emotionally borderline enough for me to watch other people suffering and not get triggered. Honestly, I don't know why I latched onto that movie lol.

I think of adaptations that I've read both the book and seen the visual media, I like Altered Carbon. The book was good, but I think the show was much better. Some things you can just do a whole lot more with when you have visuals.

I also enjoyed Annihilation (the series of books is one of my favorites).

Blue is the Warmest Color is also a great adaptation, albeit loosely adapted (and minus the awkward, voyeristically long sex scenes).

Good Omens (where I'm at in the podcast - currently listening) is a great book and the adaptation was PERFECT!

I am so excited for the new Dune adaptation! Even though I do have some issues with the source material (as I think most people in this day in age would)... I am really looking forward to it!

And, if I may, one adaption I've been hoping for for like 13 years is Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey which is the first in a series called Phedre's Trilogy. It's a lush, epic fantasy that really feels different from anything I've ever read before or since. I highly recommend and it's certainly one of my top 3 favorite books ever!

message 3: by Luke (new)

Amanda wrote: "My name is Amanda Van Parys (pronounced Paris), I'm 34, I live if FL (hello fellow Floridian podcast hosts!) and have lived in the Tampa Bay area my whole life. I've been with the podcast since abo..."

Hi Amanda!

We appreciate your support for the show and taking the time to engage with us on social media! I hope you have as much fun with Good Omens as we did :)

And thanks for sharing your favs here! I know we had a lot of fun on our 100th episode getting into our picks for favorites. I've seen IWTV, but it was a long time ago now and I have a bad memory, so I'd be curious to revisit. I'm expecting we'll get to cover it on the podcast at some point.

I've never read Kushiel's Dart, but I remember seeing the book on some friends' shelves. Here's hoping you get your wish and it gets a good adaptation!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Van Parys (mandalaaxo) | 27 comments I regret not sending in a voice clip where I could have expanded on my Kushiel's Dart wish. I felt like I had to catch up first but I didn't, should have done it anyway! I'm enjoying the episode - almost all caught up :)

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 3 comments Since we're doing a few introductions, I'll let it be known that I'm completely new to podcasts but I am a total nerd so I was looking into some true crime, books, and movie podcasts, when I discovered Ink to Film.

Just finished the Sharp Objects series, Scary Stories, and your most recent, Snow White. I'm about halfway through Pet Semetary and I want to get into the IT series but I am going to wait till I have finished the book and seen the second film before listening.

Currently, my favorite adaptation is Killing Eve. There are two novels, soon to be three in the series and are written by Luke Jennings. It's about an MI5 agent that is assigned to find a Russian psychopathic assassin (both women) and everything is so thrilling and wild that it keeps you pulled in. BBC America has adapted it into a series which I think is better than the books because there's much more detail and personality added to the characters. It also helps that Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh are acting goddesses and are perfect.

I would love, love, love to see a podcast or two on Killing Eve from you guys. It's a series that's super popular but is still underrated a lot and I love hearing your takes on things!

P.S. your guys' voices are magical and so peaceful, which makes me love the podcasts just a little bit more. :)

message 6: by Luke (new)

Ashley wrote: "Since we're doing a few introductions, I'll let it be known that I'm completely new to podcasts but I am a total nerd so I was looking into some true crime, books, and movie podcasts, when I discov..."

Hi Ashley! Welcome aboard :)

I'm so happy to hear that you've been enjoying our podcast. And I've definitely never heard that our voices are "magical and peaceful"--That's the compliment I never knew I needed, but I'm so happy to get! We'll add Killing Eve to the list of potentials <3

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Van Parys (mandalaaxo) | 27 comments This is so cool! I'm literally reading this while Killing Eve is on a commercial. The series is amazing but I have heard multiple times that the show is the rare instance that it is better than the book.

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 3 comments Amanda wrote: "This is so cool! I'm literally reading this while Killing Eve is on a commercial. The series is amazing but I have heard multiple times that the show is the rare instance that it is better than the..."

The first book is a bit boring but it has to be read to understand the second book IMO. But the second book is 10x better than the first and you can definitely tell in Luke Jenning's writing that he took a tip or two from Phoebe Waller Bridge.

message 9: by Silas (new)

Silas | 2 comments Hello! My name is Silas Arnold, I live near KCMO. I've geared up my reading a lot in the past few years, and I'm a fan of almost any fiction (I avoid romance novels on General Principle). Like Amanda posted, my reading makes it difficult to keep up with Podcasts, but ITF has been the only one I've tried to stay on top of because I enjoy James and Luke's perspectives about writing and filmmaking.

My favourite adaptation is Alfred Hitchcock's film of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca! I was so surprised to find out that the film was based on a novel after the fact.

A close second is probably Peter Jackson's LoTR films because he did a tremendous job capturing the themes and the essence of Middle Earth and the journey of the One Ring into Mordor, especially in the Extended Editions.

My favorite adaptation that ITF has covered is IT in its various forms. Thanks to ITF for starting the Book Club, I'm excited to see what we can learn from each other.

message 10: by Luke (new)

Silas wrote: "Hello! My name is Silas Arnold, I live near KCMO. I've geared up my reading a lot in the past few years, and I'm a fan of almost any fiction (I avoid romance novels on General Principle). Like Aman..."

Welcome to the club, Silas! I'm so glad we're able to provide some interesting perspectives on filmmaking and writing for you on the podcast. And thanks for the lead on "Rebecca!"

message 11: by Charity (new)

Charity | 14 comments Hi!
I've already been commenting on stuff but my name is Charity, I'm 27, I'm an author, reader, movie-watcher, tv-watcher.

My favorite adaptation is I'm Thinking of Ending Things. Don't get me started about how much I love this movie.

Other favorites include:

American Psycho
The Color Purple
Bastard Out of Carolina
Between the World and Me

Happy to discuss, open to new suggestions, looking forward to meeting new people :)

message 12: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 2 comments Long time listener, first time commentator on a Goodreads discussion. Currently living in the DFW metroplex so got to experience snowmageddon this past week. My list of things to take to a deserted island will include the ability to create, harness, store, and use electricity, lol. My most read genres are fantasy and horror but I read almost everything.

I don't have a lot of book adaptions that I think are great but some of them include Jurassic Park, The Princess Bride, and LOTR (I wish I could recapture the feeling of watching the first movie for the first time).

Ones that I think are good include The Devil Wears Prada and Fight Club and in both instances, I think the movie was better. I thought the adaption of Joe Hill's Horns with Daniel Radcliffe was pretty good since I had no idea how they were going to pull that off.

message 13: by Luke (new)

Welcome Charity & Gloria! We're happy to have you here :)

message 14: by Charity (new)

Charity | 14 comments Luke wrote: "Welcome Charity & Gloria! We're happy to have you here :)"

Thank You!