Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] 7th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 10, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Laura | 3823 comments Mod
The results are in!

Top 4:
- A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.)
- A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country
- A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject)
- A book with a monster or "monstrous" character

Bottom:
- A book with a character who has the same personality type as you

Close Call:
- A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity

Polarizing:
- A "light" book (easy, fun, entertaining) and a "heavy" book (deep, thought provoking, or dark)
- 2 books from 2 different sides of an issue/event/perspective
- A Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction winner or shortlist

Results are calculated by subtracting the number of voters who put a prompt in their bottom 4 from those who put a prompt in their top 4 (top 4 - bottom 4). The totals are then compared to find the top result(s).

The next round of suggestions will open tomorrow, Saturday August 11, at 11:00am EST.

message 2: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1636 comments It is great we got a top 4. I’m also glad one of my tops made it, a book about food, the rest did not make any of the lists.

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I'm very happy with these results (and especially to get a full set of 4 for once!). Far East Asia and monstrous character were both in my top 4 so I'm very happy about those. I also strongly considered the Chinese zodiac prompt, and only decided against it because I couldn't find many options that interested me (even among those long lists provided). I'm probably going to use that to fit in one of my Harry Potter rereads. The food-related book is fine, but wouldn't have been something I'd picked since I've done it a few times before.

It's too bad the character in disguise didn't make it again! That's been in my top 4 twice in a row now, but it seems like it had better luck this time.

message 4: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments I'm very pleased with the results as well. Three of my top four made it in with the 4th being polarizing (two books from both sides of an issue).

message 5: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Hooray for monsters at last! :grin:

Also, three of my tops made the list! The food related prompt was my fifth choice so I'm also happy about that. The "two perspectives" prompt was a top vote for me. I sure hope it comes back since it was polarizing...I think it has a ton of potential.

message 6: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments Ok I'm surprised, two of my tops were winners and none of my bottoms were winners. Not bad!

message 7: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments You know only one of these were actually my top votes (the food one) but quite honestly I loved most of the topics in this poll so I’m good with these. I am disappointed though that book with your personality type and 2 books from 2 perspectives didn’t make it. But the zodiac one makes up for the personality one in a way so that’s fine. The Far East was my suggestion so I do like that one too, and there’s tons of options for the monster one so I’m perfectly happy with these topics

message 8: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 696 comments I just came across this list of Food Memoirs, that looks interesting:
https://www.abebooks.com/books/featur...

message 9: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 464 comments Three of my top four were chosen - quite happy.

I’m new this year so I don’t know how open you guys are to suggestions or if this has been tried before... but perhaps it could be a good idea to separate suggestions by topic in each poll. Kind of like how the first poll was only multi-week suggestions, but going a bit further...

For example, one week the poll is just for cover/title related ideas. Then another week for author ideas, a separate poll for non-fiction ideas... that way there’s a good variety of prompts to be chosen?

Either way, I love how this challenge is chosen by readers and excited for next year already!

message 10: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7010 comments Mod
Avery wrote: "Three of my top four were chosen - quite happy.

I’m new this year so I don’t know how open you guys are to suggestions or if this has been tried before... but perhaps it could be a good idea to s..."

Avery, that's a great idea. We usually get to that point later in the polls, when we reach a lot of a certain type of prompt (like a lot of cover/title prompts) where we say no more of those. In general, the mods like to be really open with the suggestions threads, but we do add more restrictions as we get closer to the end.

I had 2/4 of the tops, and one of my other ones was polarizing. I'm surprised that the relationship other than romantic prompt didn't end up on any list, but I guess there wasn't much chatter about it.

I had the personality type one near the bottom, but I didn't down vote it. I do think it lends itself more to books with an entourage of characters, so I'm ok with it being voted out.

I had the light/heavy in my top and the 2 perspectives and Walter Scott in my bottom, so I guess I was as polarizing as the rest of you haha! I'm excited for a new round of suggestions!

message 11: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Also, ATY community spreadsheet is updated!

message 12: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

For reference, these are the countries considered in the Far East:

China
Hong Kong
Macau
Japan
Mongolia
North Korea
South Korea
Taiwan
Brunei
Cambodia
East Timor
Indonesia
Laos
Malaysia
Myanmar (Burma)
Philippines
Singapore
Thailand
Vietnam
Russia

Definitely going to help with my Around the World challenge!

message 13: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 390 comments Ooh thanks for linking the food memoir list! I was just thinking I could do kitchen confidential for that prompt. I didn’t watch him all that much but I always had a lot of respect for Anthony bourdain and I’d like to know more about him

message 14: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Just an FYI the food prompt is worded "A book related to food" so it doesn't have to be about food.

So you could read a book with a food word in the title or a food item in the cover art but the plot has nothing to do with food at all. Or you could do an author with a name that is a food-related occupation (Baker, Miller, Butcher) or a name that is a food brand name (Campbell, McDonald). There really are a ton of fun ways to do the prompt!

message 15: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2872 comments I was one of the ones who was not happy about the suggestions this week. I was actually dreading the results all day. How surprised was I when the winners were 3 of my top 4 and the 4th was the food prompt which I am ok with? Phew! Happy happy happy!

message 16: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

dalex wrote: "Just an FYI the food prompt is worded "A book related to food" so it doesn't have to be about food.

So you could read a book with a food word in the title or a food item in the cover art but the ..."

dalex, that's a great way to make the challenge a bit easier!

I plan on reading Frankenstein with my class next year, so I'm hoping that prompt is early/middle on in the list... I want to read in order, and that book is too perfect for the monster prompt to go anywhere else!

message 17: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Emily wrote: "For reference, these are the countries considered in the Far East.......Russia."

I think that only the eastern portion of Russia is considered Asia, whereas the western portion is considered Europe. I'm not 100% positive and didn't research it. If I am right, it could be tricky to include any Russian books in this prompt.

message 18: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1636 comments I enjoy micro-histories and plan on reading a book about food.

message 19: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1723 comments Yay for the first three! Food was in my top and although I didn't vote for it, I love reading books by Far East Asian authors. Didn't vote for Chinese zodiac either, but I'm good with that challenge, too. No, what bummed me out were the monsters. NOT THE MONSTERS! Until I realized, hey, I can read about the biggest monster of our time!!.

My personal Voldemoort, I'm loathe to utter its name, but the title says it all: Everything Trump Touches Dies: A Republican Strategist Gets Real About the Worst President Ever.

Done and done.

message 20: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments ha ha Stacey! If I wasn't planning on reading Frankenstein next year anyway, I may have gone for a more open interpretation of the prompt as well.

Plenty of "monsters" throughout history that fit the category.

message 21: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Ooooh. A Lot of WWII books would fit this prompt as well!

message 22: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2524 comments I voted for the food prompt because I felt there were a lot of options! Just using the title, there are lots of choices (try querying chocolate or orange, for example). If you look at the plot, you have options like Lonesome Dove (cattle) and The Orchardist (apple orchard), and The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea (fishing). I like Jillian's idea of a micro-history, also. I'm considering a book with either tortilla or grapes in the title!

I was never crazy about the Monster prompt but I recently bough The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde so I will save it until 2019.

Chinese Zodiac - the obvious one, if you like children's books, is a Winnie the Pooh book, which includes 3 of the animals!

message 23: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Pam...I liked Jekyll and Hyde a lot better than Frankenstein. I think you've made a good choice!

message 24: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments LOL Stacey!! I like how you think outside the box! :-)

message 25: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Just the monstrous character was on my top, but I am ok with the rest.

I am surprised that the coming of age is nowhere, after all the discussion about it :D

message 26: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 464 comments Just to verify... the zodiac prompt is in regards to the Chinese animals (rat, goat, dragon, etc.), correct? In the previous polls, people were referencing the horoscopes (Cancer, Scorpio, Libra, etc.) when referring to the zodiac prompt. Is this open to interpretation, or should we just refer to the Chinese Animals for each year?

message 27: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 11, 2018 06:07AM) (new)

Avery wrote: "Just to verify... the zodiac prompt is in regards to the Chinese animals (rat, goat, dragon, etc.), correct? In the previous polls, people were referencing the horoscopes (Cancer, Scorpio, Libra, e..."

When the prompt was suggested, it was intended to refer to the Chinese zodiac animals. That being said, this challenge is always open to your interpretation, and most of the horoscopes correspond to a Chinese zodiac symbol in characteristic, if not actual animal.

The Chinese zodiac signs are:
Rats
Tiger
Rabbit
Dragon
Snake
Horse
Goat
Monkey
Roaster
Dog
Pig

This article shows how each Chinese zodiac compares to our western horoscopes: https://nitaro28.wordpress.com/2007/0...

I did find this article that would make this prompt even easier, if you wanted to broaden the topic: http://www.primalastrology.com/primal... (I probably wouldn't use this, but I thought I'd suggest it for those of you who aren't too excited about this prompt)

message 28: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Avery wrote: "Just to verify... the zodiac prompt is in regards to the Chinese animals (rat, goat, dragon, etc.), correct? In the previous polls, people were referencing the horoscopes (Cancer, Scorpio, Libra, e..."

There have been two different zodiac prompts. The one about "standard" zodiac like Scorpio, Libra, etc. is on the reject list. The prompt that was voted through in this round is about the Chinese zodiac animals.

message 29: by dalex (last edited Aug 11, 2018 06:31AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments dalex wrote: "I think that only the eastern portion of Russia is considered Asia, whereas the western portion is considered Europe. I'm not 100% positive and didn't research it. If I am right, it could be tricky to include any Russian books in this prompt. "

I finally got 'round to researching this.

"Russia is considered to be both in Europe and Asia with 23 percent in Europe and 77 percent in Asia. Therefore, Russia is part of both the Eurasian and Asian continents. The overwhelming part of the population lives in the European part of Russia. The largest and most populated cities in Russia (Moscow, St Petersburg) are in Europe." Source

So, something like A Gentleman in Moscow would not count for this prompt.

message 30: by eleen ✨ (last edited Aug 11, 2018 07:36AM) (new)

eleen ✨ (eleenbeans) | 69 comments I made a list for the Chinese Zodiac prompt!

I know that traditionally the list is as follows: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, pig. But 鼠 (rat) in Chinese is also mouse, and there are "homophones" (?) for three other animals, ox (cow), sheep (goat), and rooster (chicken). Source: me, haha. I think that makes it just a lil easier — you can find my list here, and please feel free to add books! I've only added 95 books and I don't plan on touching the list again, probably.

I also found a much better (and longer) list here.

message 31: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1275 comments Mod
Very happy with the results! I voted for 3 of the top 4! The 2019 list is coming together really nicely!

message 32: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Eleen wrote: "I made a list for the Chinese Zodiac prompt!

I know that traditionally the list is as follows: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, pig. But 鼠 (rat) in Chines..."

Thanks for these lists Eleen! Can you tell me how The Poisonwood Bible connects to the Chinese Zodiac? It's on my list to read, but I don't see an animal connection.

message 33: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Emily, I was supposed to read it in school but never finished. I believe there's a significant snake in the story that has symbolism in the novel. But others may be referring to do a different connection.

message 34: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Laura wrote: "Emily, I was supposed to read it in school but never finished. I believe there's a significant snake in the story that has symbolism in the novel. But others may be referring to do a different conn..."

Thanks Laura! I'd like to read a book that pertinent to my specific zodiac (the snake) so I'm trying to keep track of that as I plan.

dalex wrote: "dalex wrote: "I think that only the eastern portion of Russia is considered Asia, whereas the western portion is considered Europe. I'm not 100% positive and didn't research it. If I am right, it c..."

Thanks to all of you pointing that out about Russia. I had just copied and pasted the list off the Internet (🤷🏻‍♀️) so I appreciate you fact checking me!

message 35: by eleen ✨ (new)

eleen ✨ (eleenbeans) | 69 comments Emily wrote: "Eleen wrote: "I made a list for the Chinese Zodiac prompt!

I know that traditionally the list is as follows: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, pig. But 鼠 (..."

Hi Emily! Laura defo beat me to the punch but I just wanted to mention that I got it off this Guardian article which has more snakes in stories, in case you wanted more options :)

message 36: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Eleen wrote: "I think that makes it just a lil easier — you can find my list here, and please feel free to add books!"

Thanks for creating a list. I added some books.

message 37: by Stacey (new)

Stacey D.  | 1723 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "ha ha Stacey! If I wasn't planning on reading Frankenstein next year anyway, I may have gone for a more open interpretation of the prompt as well.

Plenty of "monsters" throughout history that fit..."

Loved Frankenstein - and more than I thought I would. I'm an NYC girl (Gramercy Park), too, Rachel. Where are you?

message 38: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Stacey wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "ha ha Stacey! If I wasn't planning on reading Frankenstein next year anyway, I may have gone for a more open interpretation of the prompt as well.

Plenty of "monsters" throughou..."

Cool. I'm in FiDi.

message 39: by Pam (last edited Aug 11, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2524 comments Eleen wrote: "I made a list for the Chinese Zodiac prompt!

I know that traditionally the list is as follows: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, pig. But 鼠 (rat) in Chines..."

Thank you for the lists! I was reminded of at least one book that I was planning on reading and several that I read in the '70s as a kid! Also, the pig is sometimes listed in the Chinese Zodiac as a boar.

message 40: by Pam (last edited Aug 11, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2524 comments dalex wrote: "Emily wrote: "For reference, these are the countries considered in the Far East.......Russia."

I think that only the eastern portion of Russia is considered Asia, whereas the western portion is co..."

Siberia, for sure, is in Asia.

message 41: by dalex (last edited Aug 11, 2018 01:30PM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments Pam wrote: "Siberia, for sure, is in Asia. "

Yes, it is. Everything east of the Ural Mountains is Asia. You can see the division of eastern and western Russia on this map.

message 42: by Angie (new)

Angie | 804 comments We have a top 4! Three of the four were in my top choices, so I am very happy with this selection.

message 43: by eleen ✨ (new)

eleen ✨ (eleenbeans) | 69 comments Pam wrote: "Eleen wrote: "I made a list for the Chinese Zodiac prompt!

I know that traditionally the list is as follows: rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog, pig. But 鼠 (..."

No worries, and you're absolutely right! It slipped my mind yesterday.

dalex wrote: "Eleen wrote: "I think that makes it just a lil easier — you can find my list here, and please feel free to add books!"

Thanks for creating a list. I added some books."

Thank you!!

message 44: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments Eleen wrote: "I made a list for the Chinese Zodiac prompt!

thanks for the lists!! I added a few books to your list. I thought this would be a simple category for me, but I'm surprised at how few books on these lists are also on my TBR. I guess I don't read as many books about animals as I thought!!! Maybe next year will finally be the year that I read Life of Pi. Or not.

message 45: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I think it's a bit interesting that, although we began allowing multi-week prompts in the regular weekly polls, none of them have actually won. Most of them have been in the bottom or polarizing. Maybe it's because people don't want to commit two weeks to something they aren't sure they will love?

message 46: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I voted for the prompt with the 2 sides. I figure that as long as a multi-week prompt isn't connected somehow then I can easily fit very different books in for each week. So it really isn't that different from a single prompt. I also figure we're behind enough in the total number of entries that we have plenty of wiggle room.

message 47: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Laura wrote: "I voted for the prompt with the 2 sides. I figure that as long as a multi-week prompt isn't connected somehow then I can easily fit very different books in for each week. So it really isn't that di..."

I voted for the heavy/light for the same reason. I wasn't too interested in reading about the same conflict from differing sides, but I do like the idea of filling up some of these prompts with a multi week thing... we aren't even half way through making the list!

message 48: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 1346 comments I like the idea of multi-week prompts, but I haven't loved any of the recent suggestions enough to put them in my top 4.

message 49: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1715 comments I totally loved both the "two sides of a conflict" prompt and the "same occupation different genders" prompt. There are just a billion ways to do both of those and I think the dual viewpoints of each prompt would be super interesting. I'm disappointed they didn't win. I didn't like the "light/heavy" prompt because I never read anything light & fluffy.

message 50: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1636 comments Nadine wrote: "I like the idea of multi-week prompts, but I haven't loved any of the recent suggestions enough to put them in my top 4."

This is how I feel too.

« previous 1