Play Book Tag discussion

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
This topic is about Etiquette & Espionage
August 2018: Espionage > Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1441 comments Sophronia Temminnick causes no end of problems to her mother so she is sent to Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality which it turns out teaches more than just etiquette, lessons include poisons and knife throwing. Sophronia befriends most of the debuts, other newcomers to the school, and the sooties who work in the boiler room. She also acquires a mechanical dog Bumblesnoot which I loved. The whole book is very tongue in cheek with lots of steam punk elements. It was a bit slow in spots but overall an enjoyable fun read.

KateNZ | 2214 comments Bumblesnoot is the best! The book is such a lot of fun - I read it for my Listopia challenge and mean to read the next

Rachel N. | 1441 comments I'm definitely going to continue the series. I want to know more about the other girls in the school and find out more about the mysterious prototype.

message 4: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2762 comments Rachel N. wrote: "I'm definitely going to continue the series. I want to know more about the other girls in the school and find out more about the mysterious prototype."

I have mixed feelings about steampunk. I've read some that I've thought was clever and innovative, and and other books that were just tedious with bad writing that tried too hard to be clever. This sounds like it would be fun if I was in the right mood. Tongue in cheek humor works well with the genre.

message 5: by annapi (last edited Aug 11, 2018 10:46AM) (new)

annapi | 4916 comments Yeah, I'm with you, Judith, I have to be in the mood for steampunk. I did enjoy this series, but I also wouldn't have missed much if I'd not read it at all. I preferred the original series this came from (The Parasol Protectorate), but even that one I can do without. But they are great for light beach reads.

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments I might switch over to this for a nice lighthearted easy to read espionage book for the tag and decathalon. Thanks for the rec.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin is a bit of a monster to read with everything going on in my life right now.

message 7: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2762 comments Joi wrote: "I might switch over to this for a nice lighthearted easy to read espionage book for the tag and decathalon. Thanks for the rec.

[book:In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family..."

Joi! What are you thinking? Save that book for some other time. You definitely have enough going on.
(Secret confession; my husband and I had so much stress around our wedding, we were also preparing to move out of the country, we read Winnie the Pooh and The Wind in The Willows to each other. )

message 8: by Joanne (last edited Aug 11, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7249 comments Jgrace wrote: "Joi wrote: "I might switch over to this for a nice lighthearted easy to read espionage book for the tag and decathalon. Thanks for the rec.

[book:In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an Ame..."

Love this! Nothing like some Winnie The Pooh to put perspective on life;)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Gail Carriger is one of my comfort reads authors; I love her droll voice, but have to be in the mood for it. I think I would love these books more if I hadn't imprinted on her Parasol Protectorate series first.

I'm currently on... the last one, I think, for this challenge and enjoying it in audio form.

KateNZ | 2214 comments Lots of people seem to prefer the Parasol Protectorate books - I haven’t read them yet so was able to come to this series fresh. I loved its irrepressible cheerfulness. It’s super-light, just right for the end of a heavy week at work.

message 11: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8129 comments Sounds tempting by the title (and description/review), but the steampunk puts me off. I suppose that's better because I don't need to start another series!

message 12: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Jgrace wrote: "Secret confession; my husband and I had so much stress around our wedding, we were also preparing to move out of the country, we read Winnie the Pooh and The Wind in The Willows to each other. ."

That is too sweet, what a great idea. Hoping to get some reading time in AFTER the wedding, lol!