Reading with E. discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
Dark Tower Reread: THE GUNSLINGER

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Edward Lorn | 333 comments Mod
Today begins my third complete journey through the Dark Tower series. Join me?

Chris Austin | 38 comments "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

I am excited to do this!

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments Oh shit. I just finished The Stand and was going to read a few other books before re-eading the DT series, but you just sucked me right down the rabbit hole. Running for my bookcase... masterfully avoiding spillage of my special afternoon coffee... and grabbing The Gunslinger. Yes!

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments Bye the bye, this will be my first re-read, and it has been about 25 years since I first read The Gunslinger, so l am super excited to start this journey.

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments mark c austin wrote: ""The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

I am excited to do this!"

The best opening ever.

Chris Austin | 38 comments Wayne wrote: "mark c austin wrote: ""The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed"

I am excited to do this!"
The best opening ever."

Yes, it is! One could say a perfect opening. In one sentence, King introduces the antagonist, the setting, and the protagonist.

Tis the best firs line, yes. I'm excited for this full reread. Last time I did it I skipped "Little Sisters of Eluris", but we'll be reading that short story after this one, even tho it occurs after GUNSLINGER.

Oh, and welcome, Wayne! Good to have you along!

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments Edward wrote: "Tis the best firs line, yes. I'm excited for this full reread. Last time I did it I skipped "Little Sisters of Eluris", but we'll be reading that short story after this one, even tho it occurs afte..."My pleasure Sai Edward.

Say thankee, sai 😉

Cody | CodysBookshelf (codylovesbooks) | 6 comments I’m in. Excited!

Dustin (dedzed) | 20 comments Shiiiiiiiiiyyyyyyt, this was not in the life plan, but fuck it. I'm in.

Shawn Dawson | 26 comments I’ve never done a goodreads group before, but I’ll give it a try. Looking forward to it.

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments Shawn wrote: "I’ve never done a goodreads group before, but I’ll give it a try. Looking forward to it."
This is my first buddy read as well. I had planned on starting the series soon, so I said what the heck.

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments Damn! I thought this was going to be an Along Came a Spider buddy read. Where's the thread for that, E?

Since I only finished this two months ago and I'm about to start Wizard and Glass, I won't be reading along but I will participate in the discussion.

Dustin (dedzed) | 20 comments Wayne wrote: "Shawn wrote: "I’ve never done a goodreads group before, but I’ll give it a try. Looking forward to it."
This is my first buddy read as well. I had planned on starting the series soon, so I said wha..."

I'm also a group read virgin.

message 16: by Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (last edited Aug 10, 2018 05:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments Dustin wrote: "I'm also a group read virgin. "

Wayne wrote: "Shawn wrote: "I’ve never done a goodreads group before, but I’ll give it a try. Looking forward to it."
This is my first buddy read as well. I had planned on starting the series soon, so I said wha..."

Shawn wrote: "I’ve never done a goodreads group before, but I’ll give it a try. Looking forward to it."

Dustin, Shawn, and Wayne, buddy reads (BRs) are easy, the main rule (which isn't in the least 'hard' or 'fast') is don't read too fast, try to pace yourself, otherwise you'll find you're all done in a day or so and there's no one to discuss it with because no one else is finished. Sometimes you just can't help yourself, but do your best.

Chris Austin | 38 comments How far into the series did King realize before starting to write "The Gunslinger"? Sheb brought the flashback to book 4 and I started to consider if King already fleshed some of it out or did he randomly create hints and then later built it into the fourth book.

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments mark c austin wrote: "How far into the series did King realize before starting to write "The Gunslinger"? Sheb brought the flashback to book 4 and I started to consider if King already fleshed some of it out or did he r..."

Was that meant for me? I haven't actually started Wizard and Glass, yet, so I have no idea what or who you're talking about.

This discussion is really only going to be about The Gunslinger for the next few weeks (not sure exactly how long E has the buddy read planned for), so it'll probably be best if we keep the comments/spoilers for the rest of the series to ourselves until the group gets up to that book.

Whooey, this reread got popular lol. Okay, so Mark, King wrote each book without having a plan, but he went back and rewrote the first book to fit the series after finishing book 7. He spent books 2-5 trying to figure out what would come next.

Welcome Dustin, Shawn, Cody, and Sarah!

The introduction and foreword for the expanded edition of THE GUNSLINGER is good reading. Definitely don't skip it. I'm on II of the first part. I love that opening chapter with all of my heart.

Shawn Dawson | 26 comments Do we just start reading, or do we read to designated hit points so we are all at the same place?

Dustin (dedzed) | 20 comments Man, to this point in my life I've managed to only read actual books. Never read any e-books or Kindle's or audio books. I'm a Luddite I guess, but I only have my original paperback. How much am I missing if I don't read the expanded edition?

Just start reading, Shawn. I usually read this in one or two days, but I'm taking my sweet time this go around. Will likely read it over the next few weeks. No rush at all.

About 35 pages of added content, Dustin. He rewrote some stuff for flow, and corrected some issues that popped up later in the series. It's not a huge deal, but future books might confuse in places. For instance there a town called Farson in the first book that becomes a man named Farson in later books lol.

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments Part III, I like how King is describing the raven, Zoltan, as walking on the tin roof making the sound "Tak-tak-tak". Tak was the demon in The Regulators and Desperation. Coincidence? Probably. I like it anyway.

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments Part IV. A billy-bumbler is mentioned for the first time. Of course this meant nothing to me when I first read this 20 years ago, but seeing it now brings joy to my heart. Do you kin?

If you're reading the expanded edition, Wayne, I'd think he did it on purpose. If not, he likely reused the sound later in the series as reference to the raven.

Stopped after finishing III tonight. Off to bed. I'll talk to everyone tomorrow!

message 30: by Landon (new)

Landon A | 1 comments I'm here late haha. Just read all these comments and I'm sooooo excited to be reading all these books again especially over a long period of time!!! It's time for the journey to begin!!!!

Welcome, Landon! Good to see ya 😉

Eat.Sleep.Lift.Read. (misanthropic_scribe) | 1 comments I've been away too long. I'm gonna have to join this one 'cause it saddens me to say, I've never read the Dark Tower series.

I just need to finish off the talisman...

Do it, man! Also, where the hell you been? I don't think I've heard from you in over a year or more. Everything good with you?

Dustin (dedzed) | 20 comments Think I got to VII or VIII last night. King sure was at his most poetic here.

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments Just got to the letter to Allie in Part VII. The Man in Black (Walter O' Dim) mentions "19". I have seen fans mention the number 19, but to be honest it has been so long that I could not remember its significance. This was pretty interesting to come upon and now I'm curious what more there will be to it.

Wayne Barrett | 45 comments Edward, I have a question: I noticed at least one person mention that this will be their first time reading the DT series. This is a discussion group, so how do we handle possible spoilers? Should we give warnings, or should first timers just be aware that they may read something that they have not gotten to as of yet?

Please give warnings at the beginning of your post, or use the comment section of the YouTube video, as I've warned that there'll be spoilers there.

I'm going to be streaming tonight on YouTube but I'll be reading after that. I'll catch up with you guys then ☺️

Man, the fght in Till is just classic King. One of the best scenes he's ever written.

Tull*

Thomas Stroemquist (poorlonesomecowboy) | 4 comments *That* I do agree wholeheartedly with! Not so much more - but I’ll have plenty of good reading ahead following this thread I believe.

Thomas! My friend. How goes it?

Shawn Dawson | 26 comments I totally agree with your enjoyment of the big showdown in Tull. I am also really interested in where this world is. There are references to Christianity and “contemporary” music but it doesn’t feel like our works at all.

Dustin (dedzed) | 20 comments Yeah! The showdown in Tull was great, I'd mostly forgotten about it. On to The Way Station.

Shawn, that's one of the coolest aspects of the series, but to explain would be spoilers ☺️

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments Shawn wrote: "I totally agree with your enjoyment of the big showdown in Tull. I am also really interested in where this world is. There are references to Christianity and “contemporary” music but it doesn’t fee..."

Edward wrote: "Shawn, that's one of the coolest aspects of the series, but to explain would be spoilers ☺️"

I'm at book four and I still don't know the truth.

Next book, Sarah 😉

Tracy Robinson (tracy_reads79) | 9 comments I'm in! Sorry I am a little late to the party

No problem. Welcome!

message 50: by Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (last edited Aug 12, 2018 10:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 36 comments Edward wrote: "Next book, Sarah 😉"

Glad to know that things are explained, eventually. Wouldn't want to be left waiting with just my own theories and guesses.

« previous 1 3