What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Japanese novel of browbeaten wife who defies her brutal, ill husband by having him repeat her name after he calls her. Read before 2003.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice Schwartz | 3 comments She goes to a performance and is enthralled with a young male dancer. She pushes through the crowd to touch the hem of his garment.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4888 comments What genre was the book?
Anything about the cover?
Part of series?
Time period story takes place?
What kind of dancer was the man, a ballet dancer, pop idol, etc?

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice Schwartz | 3 comments I believe the book was literary fiction. Remember nothing about the cover. Probably not part of a series. Takes place in the past; don't remember when. I think the young man was a dancer in some kind of traditional festival in Japan. The woman led a bleak life. As I recall, the novel was a minor sensation at the time, and the woman was thought of as a villainess (in book reviews) because she reveled in forcing her husband, now dependent on her, to repeat her name when he called to her. Seemed to me to be meager revenge for all his cruelty.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Any idea when it was published? Is it a classic? Was it published in Japanese originally?

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice Schwartz | 3 comments Most likely published in last half of 20th century. The author was Japanese, so I believe it was first published in Japanese. I think at the time of publication that it was thought it would be a potential classic, but not sure about its fate, since it must be out of print because no one seems to remember anything about it.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Alice, are you still looking for this or did you find it?