You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Lethal White (Cormoran Strike, #4)
This topic is about Lethal White
Buddy Reads > Lethal White - Book 4 in Cormoran Strike

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Lethal White is being published September 18. If anyone is interested in joining, Kristie and I will be doing a buddy read shortly after it's published.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Aug 27, 2018 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments I keep checking Audible to see if I can preorder this one and it's still not available. Upon doing a quick check, the best I could find was an Audible page with Lethal White and this warning:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I really hope they make it available in the US! The others are all available, but I don't know if they came out on the same release date or not.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Doesn't that make you growl? I ordered the eBook from iBooks because it didn't appear to be available on audible. I checked audible UK and audible Canada and neither have it listed. Hopefully it will be released soon.

message 4: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I googled around a little and there is not an expected publication date for anywhere outside the UK, it seems. It will be the longest in the series so far with around 650 pages.
And BBC is planning to make a tv series.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments It does! So bummed. I knew how long it was, which is half the reason I want the audio. I have a bunch of physical books I need to get to for reviews, so didn’t want to take time away for such a long book. Plus, I listened to the last two, so was hoping to continue. I’m just going to keep hoping it pops up for now.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Sandra wrote: "I googled around a little and there is not an expected publication date for anywhere outside the UK, it seems. It will be the longest in the series so far with around 650 pages.
And BBC is planning..."

For the audiobook? It is being published on iBooks, and Kindle outside of the UK. I don't know about hardcover or paperback. Since I've read the first 3 books on ebook, I don't mind continuing with that format. I wouldn't want to chance having the narrator disrupt the voices I imagine.

That happened with Magic Triumphs. I read the entire series on ebook and the audiobook for Triumphs was released today. I listened to the sample and was repulsed. Ick!

I know that Career of Evil is being made into a tv series. Were the first 2 books as well?

message 7: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments All I found when googling the publication date was September 18th for UK. If any other dates exist, they are a state secret!
Career of Evil is the first one but I understood that eventually all of them will be done.

Margo | 10018 comments here in Ireland i can get the kindle on the 18th september but still no news on the audible release date. Why on earth can't they get their act and globalise publication date, at least in english speaking countries???

i was sure i hadn't read Career of Evil but when i started on sunday i discovered that i just marked it properly on gr. i rememered it straight away and i also remembered that i was a bit disappointed in it.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments I agree, Margo. I was disappointed by that one as well. It had a completely different feel ad focus than the first two.

In the US I can preorder the Kindle, hardcover, or audio CDs. They're all a bit pricey and using an Audible credit would cost less. It seems to me that if they have audio CDs available, it should also be available through Audible.

Margo | 10018 comments I can't understand why it is on CD but not audible either Kristie!

Any UK based members on this thread? I wonder if it is on audible UK?

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments It's finally available to preorder on Audible! Woot!!

Margo | 10018 comments Still not available to me :-(

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments Oh no! Hope it becomes available soon, Margo. So frustrating.

Erica I was most disappointed in The Silkworm. I figured the who done it and why pretty quickly. At this point I am invested in the Strike/Robin dynamic more than the crimes themselves. However, I am hoping that this one will be stronger than the last.

Also, I am going to be listening to the book on Overdrive from my local public library.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Hi Erica! Welcome to YLTO.

There is a third book after The Silkworm. It's called Career of Evil. I liked the Silkworm better that Career, so I'm hoping that Lethal White is better. I really like the dynamics between Strike and Robin as well.

Erica I loved the first, thought the second was blah, thinking the third was much better. Lol. I have high hopes for lethal white.

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments Oh funny, I think The Silkworm was my favorite of the three. My best to worst would be 2, 1, 3 so far. I’m hoping this is the best yet. Should be an interesting discussion, especially since we differ on on preferences for the earlier books in the series.

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Kristie wrote: "Oh funny, I think The Silkworm was my favorite of the three. My best to worst would be 2, 1, 3 so far. I’m hoping this is the best yet. Should be an interesting discussion, especially since we diff..."

I'd rank them the same way, Kristie.

Erica I think I like 2 the least because I figured it out quickly, other than that is was a solid story.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments I know we said that we would read this soon after it was released. Now that it's been released, does anyone have a date in mind to start? I need a day or two to finish the book I'm currently listening to. After that any time this month or next is fine with me, except for toppler week.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments I should be ready to start it as soon as I finish my current book. Shall we say Sunday, September 23?

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments That works for me.

Margo | 10018 comments I might join you. I will confirm nearer the time.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments I maybe able to join next week sometime.

Esther (nyctale) | 4443 comments my library has not added it yet.... looks like I am going to pass.

Erica I'm reading it now. Should finish before the weekend. Fingers crossed. I'll join y'all if that's okay. My library doesn't have it quite yet though :(

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments It will be great to hear your comments on the book, Erica.

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments I'm going to start reading tonight. The way I've been reading lately, it won't take long for the rest of you to catch up and pass me.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments I almost started today too. I've been so off with my reading lately, so slow to finish anything. I may start tomorrow though, since you're starting too.

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments I'd still be reading my current book but it was dragging on and I really wasn't interested in it, so skimmed a bunch of pages to speed things along. Some may call that cheating. I call it thank-god-it's-over.

message 31: by siriusedward (last edited Sep 21, 2018 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Nope, not cheating at all.

Skimming a few pages ,when the book becomes tedious is very reasonable.
Sometimes it does make one guilty .But I am much better about it nowadays ,I try to not feel guilt when I DNF a book or skim pages...

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments I am thinking of starting it too..

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Thanks for that, Elena. I feel less guilty. :)

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments Yes, never feel guilty for skimming. I say that means the books just wasn't good enough to waste your time fully reading. Author's fault, not yours. Same with DNF. I've gotten much more comfortable with both of those scenarios lately.

I've also realized that sometimes I'm not fully listening to audiobooks (similar to skimming). If I still know what's going on and only missed excessive details, I don't back it up anymore. I've backed up a few times in the past and realized I didn't even miss anything, just didn't realize I heard it all because I wasn't focused enough on it.

message 35: by Tricia (new) - added it

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments I'm late to this thread, but I'd love to join you all for this one. I got it on Kindle and am ready to go. I'm looking forward to a good mystery, but I'm dying to know what happens with Robin and Matthew. I'm not ready for her and strike to get together, but Matthew can go any time now.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Glad you're going to join us Tricia. You're not late. We're just starting.

Margo | 10018 comments Kristie wrote: "Yes, never feel guilty for skimming. I say that means the books just wasn't good enough to waste your time fully reading. Author's fault, not yours. Same with DNF. I've gotten much more comfortable..."

I do that a lot with audio Kristie. These days it seems a rare thing if a book grips me enough to actually stay still and listen to it without doing something else at the same time! I loose a lot of detail but sometimes it just doesn't matter. Most books seem to be "padded" it you know what I mean.

I might start tonight and read it alongside my other book. I am itching to begin!

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments I do know what you mean, Margo!

I am planning to start today too. I just listened to the opening scene, which was interesting, but made me realize that I'm certain I've forgotten quite a bit from the past books. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Kristie wrote: "I do know what you mean, Margo!

I am planning to start today too. I just listened to the opening scene, which was interesting, but made me realize that I'm certain I've forgotten quite a bit from..."

I wish there would be a site that recaps the previous books - cliff notes for series books. I finished the 3rd book a few weeks back so it's still fresh in my mind.

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments A lot of books weave some of the information into the new books as a review. Some authors definitely do that better than others. I don't recall that being the case in this series though. I'm sure I remember enough to enjoy the book, just may miss some references.

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Sep 22, 2018 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments This gives summaries of the first two books and a bit of the third: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormora...

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments I stayed up after midnight planning next year's annual challenge. I had so much fun with it, I didn't want to go to bed. In spite of that, I still read the prologue and the first two chapters.

Prologue - (view spoiler)

Chapter 1 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 2 - (view spoiler)

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments Looking forward to it, Janice. I’m sure it will be awesome!

message 44: by Tricia (last edited Sep 22, 2018 12:07PM) (new) - added it

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Kristie, in regards to your spoiler if you'd like a reminder, (view spoiler)

Janice, the prologue was a bit disappointing for me. (view spoiler)

Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Denise (view spoiler)

Robin and Strike(view spoiler)

Robin and Matthew(view spoiler)

The new hire..what do you think of him?

The new case seems interesting.

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 14183 comments Tricia wrote: "Kristie, in regards to your spoiler if you'd like a reminder, [spoilers removed]

Janice, the prologue was a bit disappointing for me. [spoilers removed]

Chapter 2 [spoilers removed]"

Thanks, Tricia. I remembered somewhat. lol It just took me a bit.

Re your prologue spoiler (view spoiler)

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Tricia wrote: "Janice, the prologue was a bit disappointing for me. (view spoiler)"

I agree about chemistry. (view spoiler)

message 48: by Tricia (new) - added it

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Yes, I've only read a few of the "In Death" series, but you're right, Janice, it does seem to work there.

Kristie, That's a really good point about communication. (view spoiler)

Margo | 10018 comments I listened up to the end of chapter 3 last night and then I fell asleep still listening!

Prologue and chapter 1 (view spoiler)

Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Margo | 10018 comments Chapters 4 and 5 (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3