Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > The Other Woman-5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Aug 10, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments The Other Woman 5 Stars

This is the 18th book in Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series. There are few authors who could hold my attention for 18 Books. Silva is one of the Masters of this genre.

From comments and reviews on the this book, fans seem to be split down the middle. I do not want to ruin it for the others here who are reading or planning to read, so I won't be telling the story-

I do agree with Rachels' review where she says there is a "human" factor missing(the relationship Gabriel has with his fellow Israeli spies), but I think Silva just did things a little different this time and concentrated more on the inter-relations with Gabriel and other world Intelligence agencies. I think this leaves the story to follow wide open to current events and relationships between Global Powers as our real world seems to be spinning off it's axis.

Mid-point in the book, I actually screamed-my daughter came running and found me hugging the book, laughing, and saying "Oh Silvia you got me-you are a master".

I cannot recommend this book to you unless you have read the past 17-you just have to know Gabriel's whole story to really enjoy.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8299 comments That is such a compelling review! I love the image of your moment in the book with your daughter. So great that books can do that to us. But i have to admit - reading 17 books to get there feels a little daunting. What is book one, just in case I ever fell into it? My father likes this author so the books are often lying around.

message 3: by Joanne (last edited Aug 10, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments Amy wrote: "That is such a compelling review! I love the image of your moment in the book with your daughter. So great that books can do that to us. But i have to admit - reading 17 books to get there feels a ..."

The Kill Artist is # 1 He is such a great writer, he just pulls you into the world of espionage

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I love your review Joanne! And this is what is so great about books. We don't all have to agree.:) I love this series very much and it is the first series I ever strayed from non-fiction to read. In fact this author is what made me like this genre so much.
Yes, he totally surprised me in the middle with the reveal. I did not see that coming! I really wonder if he has left this open the way he did for the next book? I guess we will find out.
The human factor is such a big deal for me. There have actually been a few of Silva's books I have re-written in my head for the character Gabriel. Stop making him so morose and obtuse Daniel Silva!! But I love the characters so very much.
I would certainly recommend this book, especially if you have followed the series all along. I am not finished with Daniel Silva, this book just left me longing for the characters I know and love. He is a great author and I'm sure the next book will be great.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "That is such a compelling review! I love the image of your moment in the book with your daughter. So great that books can do that to us. But i have to admit - reading 17 books to get there feels a ..."

The first book in this series is The Kill Artist.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments Rachel wrote: "I love your review Joanne! And this is what is so great about books. We don't all have to agree.:) I love this series very much and it is the first series I ever strayed from non-fiction to read. I..."

Yes, I know what you mean about the "friends" we have made a long with way-I could of used a little more of Chiara's sarcasm and a lot more of Eli(he is a my favorite next to Allon.
) And it seems we will have a few knew people joining the fray(computer geek).

These books also were also responsible for my joining the espionage crew, at one point Silvia and Vince Flynn were publishing every 6 months(opposite each other) and I was loving it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanne wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I love your review Joanne! And this is what is so great about books. We don't all have to agree.:) I love this series very much and it is the first series I ever strayed from non-fic..."

I almost asked you if you have read Vince Flynn!! He was the next one I read!
I love Chiara's sarcasm and I wanted more of her in this book. Eli is great. I just want to seek him out and hug him at times.

message 8: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2216 comments The Kill Artist has just gone on my TBR :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

KateNZ wrote: "The Kill Artist has just gone on my TBR :)"

I loved the Kill Artist! I hope you like it.

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments Rachel wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I love your review Joanne! And this is what is so great about books. We don't all have to agree.:) I love this series very much and it is the first series I ever stray..."

Reading Tom Clancy's Line of Sight right now, do you read him?

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments KateNZ wrote: "The Kill Artist has just gone on my TBR :)"

You will enjoy The Kill Artist I am sure Kate! Really looking forward to your thoughts on Gabriel and the gang!