What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Looking for fantasy, sci-fi, and LGBT+ novellas!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (last edited Aug 11, 2018 01:16PM) (new)

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Hey, I've got a recent interest in novellas! I've heard The Murderbot Diaries is good, but other than that, I've got no clue.

So I'd love some recs for fantasy, sci-fi, and/or LGBT+ novellas! Preferably with a female lead and preferably within the last 2 - 3 years, but I'm super flexible on those.

message 2: by L J (new)

L J Need some clarification. Are you looking for novellas that are fantasy or sci-fi or LGBT+ or are you looking for LGBT+ novellas that are fantasy or sci-fi?

message 3: by Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (last edited Aug 10, 2018 12:27AM) (new)

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments L J wrote: "Need some clarification. Are you looking for novellas that are fantasy or sci-fi or LGBT+ or are you looking for LGBT+ novellas that are fantasy or sci-fi?"

Sorry! Fantasy or sci-fi or LGBT+.

message 4: by L J (last edited Aug 10, 2018 01:50AM) (new)

L J I read these. I'm stretching novella page count a bit to include 50+ to 150pages. These are authors I've read and given some of their stories 4 to 5 star ratings.
Hollis Shiloh LGBT+ especiallyBread and Books I haven't liked everything I've read but enough I would suggest you take a look.
Zoe Chant mostly shapeshifters
Suzanne Brockmann especially When Tony Met Adam LGBT+ I pretty much read everything she writes but she doesn't do many novellas and they don't all fit your requirements and do fit into her series of full length novels
Eve Langlais when she writes a strong heroine unfortunately her earth human females in SFRom tend toward being tstl
Charlie Cochet LGBT+ what I've read were shape shifters
Terry Bolryder Got hooked on her dragons - novellas are in series but each has its own HEA ending
Erin Tate SciFi rom the women have to be strong given the circumstances of what is happening all take place in same future earth
Kara Lockharte SFRom her novellas do fit in with her novels but her novels are not terribly long

I tried to avoid those I knew were in series that are mostly full length novels. I only listed some shifter authors because I wasn't sure you were interested in them. I know these are romance but my short non-romance SF tends to be much older.
ETA: Have you checked lists? There might be something there that is just what you are looking for. You might also search Groups.

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Thanks! I did try taking a poke around lists, but didn't feel particularly inspired.

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott A little older but Bending the Landscape: Fantasy and Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction might be of interest.

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Scott wrote: "A little older but Bending the Landscape: Fantasy and Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction might be of interest."

I was not aware of these, they definitely look interesting!

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Still happy to hoard any novella recs!

message 10: by L J (new)

L J Have you looked at http://www.dailyfreebooks.com/free_eb...? You can pick genres then choose medium length to avoid long books. There will be books that are longer than you want but there will also be short ones.

message 11: by Kaion (last edited Aug 19, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments Passing Strange is a fantasy LGBT book I've seen recommended about.

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments Kaion wrote: "Passing Strange is a fantasy LGBT book I've seen recommended about."

Thank you!

Kate (Feathered Turtle Press Reviews) (stargazer401) | 254 comments L J wrote: "Have you looked at http://www.dailyfreebooks.com/free_eb...? You can pick genres then choose medium length to avoid long books. There will be books that are longer than you want but there will ..."

No, I have not! Thank you!

message 14: by Nora (last edited Aug 20, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

Nora | 112 comments You might enjoy the Binti series by Nnedi Okorafor

message 15: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Viola Grace aka Zenina Masters writes only short stories/novellas. They are sci-fi romances and tend to be fun reads. I found her because of the cover of one of her stories (yes, I do occasionally buy books based strictly on the cover or the title without reading anything about it.) After that first one, I went and started collecting all of her series.

The Viola Grace name publishes pretty much all sci-fi romances. She has: Sector Guard series (super hero/ines in space), the Terran Times series--2000 humans get offered a chance to head into space, with the understanding that if they can survive and thrive there, then space travel will be opened up to the rest of the Earth. The bad part--they are never allowed to go back to Earth again. Terran Times 2 is the NEXT 2000 people who head into space. They are allowed to return if they want to, but most of them admit that there is no way they will ever return. She doesn't really set the Earth parts of the stories (usually very small until the second Terran Times series) in any specifically designated country, but you get the idea that it's Canada or the U.S. or the U.K. If it weren't for her spelling (she spells like I do, so I checked) you would think U.S., but she's actually Canadian. She has a couple of shorter series as well that are either Sci-fi or UF. The UF are fun, with witches and wizards and vampires oh, my. :o)

The Zenina Masters pen name only writes one series, and that's UF. The first set of stories is strictly shape shifters, then she decides to expand the dating pool as it were. She added fae next, then she added water beings (mer, sharks, dolphins etc) and now she's starting to bring in a few mages/magic users. All of the romances take place initially in an artificial environment known as The Crossroads. Which was created by a dragon shifter and some mages she blackmailed into helping her with the spells. The blackmail is not really discussed, but was probably along of the lines of--help me or I'll eat you. She has had some really interesting characters appear in the story. The sea-monster (all sea-monsters are the same one, she just gets around a bit) is one, she finds love with a fae. The dragon eventually finds her own mate. There is a djinn, the largest mermaid in the world (one parent was a giant) and all kinds of other interesting ideas. I personally loved the flying fox shifter (giant fruit bat, for those who aren't up on their zoology)

There are the occasional villains in any of her series, and they usually appear as an arc over several stories in which ever name she is writing under.

Um, have I sold you yet? Or over-sold? Anyway, check her out. I usually give her a 3 to 5 star rating, depending on how much I like the characters.