Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emy (last edited Aug 09, 2018 06:19PM) (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Could I have some opinions on what, if anything, we should be doing about this author:

Jalāl ad-Dīn Rūmī
Rumi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumi
"Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī (Persian: جلال‌الدین محمد رومی‎), also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī (جلال‌الدین محمد بلخى), Mevlânâ/Mawlānā (مولانا, "our master"), Mevlevî/Mawlawī (مولوی, "my master"), and more popularly simply as Rumi (30 September 1207 – 17 December 1273), was a 13th-century Persian Sunni Muslim poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic originally from Greater Khorasan."

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Other variants which are (probably) sufficiently different, but which need an agreed Main Form

Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī
Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi
Mevlana Rumi

message 3: by lethe (last edited Aug 10, 2018 12:17AM) (new)

lethe | 13676 comments Emy wrote: "Could I have some opinions on what, if anything, we should be doing about this author:

Jalāl ad-Dīn Rūmī"

The books that I checked on that profile all have Jalaluddin Rumi on the cover. In any case, Jalāl ad-Dīn Rūmī doesn't look like it is used internationally, more like it is a literal transliteration of the Persian.

I would think Rumi is the name most used in English? But if (f.e.) Jalaluddin Rumi is most used internationally (and not just by PD publishers), it might be best to use that as primary author, to cut down on the number of different profiles.

message 4: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20008 comments There is a librarian note on the Rumi profile: Better to leave the latin name (Rumi), as the author is widely known worldwide.

I agree with that, and adding the author name as written on the cover as secondary author when needed.

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments Think I'd better move this to projects tomorrow then as I have a feeling there are many records which should have Rumi + Cover variant on them.

I'll also need to manually move the quotes to Rumi. Tomorrow.