Play Book Tag discussion

The Other Woman (Gabriel Allon, #18)
This topic is about The Other Woman
August 2018: Espionage > The Other Woman - Daniel Silva - 3.7 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Daniel Silva, and I have fallen in love with the characters in this series. In fact, he is the author that led me away from only reading non-fiction. The Other Woman failed to reach the standard set by Daniel Silva in his other books, and by quite a substantial margin. One of the greatest strengths of his other novels was the emphasis on the human interactions among the members of both Gabriel Allon’s professional and personal teams. In this book there is very little of that, and as a result the story felt sterile, distant, and emotionally removed. When I put the book down I didn’t come away with a deepening sense of any of the characters, which is what I love in the Gabriel Allon series.
The first part of the book was very slow in building my interest. Several times I found myself having to go back and reread passages after finding that I had been zoning out. The story gained momentum in the middle and end and for me this is what saved this book. But the characters were lifeless, and that includes the main character Gabriel Allon. Now this is a character I love and I anticipate every new book the author releases, but his time I am disappointed. He did not do the characters justice, but instead gave way too much meaningless background information. I wish he would have put more time in the characters that so many have grown to love.
Daniel Silva is capable of creating a rich environment of complex human personalities and interactions, but in this book we only get to see a little of that. Throughout too much of this book there is little human personality or interaction. Like the old masterpieces that Gabriel used to restore, I can recognize the master's brushstrokes here, but the color palate seems very bland and dried up.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8303 comments I love the way you write a review. You’re a true artist.

message 3: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1312 comments I am reading The Kill Artist right now. I am glad to hear that the series was a good one to start.

message 4: by Joanne (last edited Aug 10, 2018 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7255 comments Rachel wrote: "I love Daniel Silva, and I have fallen in love with the characters in this series. In fact, he is the author that led me away from only reading non-fiction. The Other Woman failed to reach the stan..."

I just finished this last night and I am on the other end of the spectrum, Rachel, I loved it. See my review if you wonder why.

Just curious, did you see that big reveal coming at the middle? I did not-really grabbed me and made me scream! LOL

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanne wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I love Daniel Silva, and I have fallen in love with the characters in this series. In fact, he is the author that led me away from only reading non-fiction. The Other Woman failed to..."

I did not see the big review in the middle of the book but the middle and moving forward is what saved this book for me. I have to admit the reveal was amazing and it seems that Silva has left this open for the next book but I could be wrong.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Cora wrote: "I am reading The Kill Artist right now. I am glad to hear that the series was a good one to start."

I absolutely love this series. My kids make fun of me because I wait for every new book of his. I just didn't like this one as much but the series as a whole is wonderful.