AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Women in History

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kari (last edited Aug 09, 2018 04:08PM) (new)

Kari (karibovee) | 98 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

I hope you are enjoying the discussion this week. I am loving all of your comments!

In addition to writing my novels, I have a couple of blogs I might have mentioned before. One of them is about empowered women in history. I write about all kinds of women from the past I find inspiring or interesting. In 2012, when I first started researching Annie Oakley for my novel, I wrote a blog post about her. Because of the recent release of my novel, I have recently reposted it. You can read it here to learn more about this fascinating woman.

https://karibovee.com/the-life-and-ti...

I think we can learn so much from the women who came before us. In doing my research for the blog, I come across the most interesting women who despite life's challenges have made an impact in the world. I have been doing this blog for quite a while, and I haven't run out of material yet!

description

What empowered women in history have inspired you, and why? Let me know in the comments to win one of the three copies of Girl with a Gun I am giving away!!

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 68 comments I am inspired by several. Catherine of Aragon comes to my mind. Although she lived her life at the whim of men, when push came to shove, she stood her ground and wouldn't give in. I also admire Eleanor Roosevelt, again a woman basically under society's control, but she stepped out and made a name for herself and also wouldn't give in. I also admire Barbara Bush who was always herself.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Catherine of Aragon and Eleanor Roosevelt are great examples. (It's hard not to picture Katharine Hepburn in A Lion in Winter!)

I'm also inspired by women writers who didn't give up — Colette, the Bronte sisters, Emily Dickinson. They always kept a place for their art and creativity in their lives. I wonder how many other women did, too, but their works are lost. I'm grateful for all the women who pushed for their rightful attention, so that it is not quite so difficult for those of us living now.

message 4: by Kari (new)

Martha wrote: "Catherine of Aragon and Eleanor Roosevelt are great examples. (It's hard not to picture Katharine Hepburn in A Lion in Winter!)

I'm also inspired by women writers who didn't give up — Colette, the..."

The Bronte sisters have always fascinated me! They lived such an austere life. Have you send the movie "To Walk Invisible?" If not, I highly recommend it!

message 5: by Kari (new)

Linda wrote: "I am inspired by several. Catherine of Aragon comes to my mind. Although she lived her life at the whim of men, when push came to shove, she stood her ground and wouldn't give in. I also admire Ele..."

Women who had the courage to be themselves in times when it was difficult for them to do so are always admirable to me!

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Yes, couldn't agree more...and there are also many unknown women who never made the history books who had the courage and strength to face incredible odds and succeed. I honor all of them as well.