CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > Giller Prize 2018 - General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4242 comments Mod
i was a bit curious as to the release date for the long-list and thought that others might like to know that it will be released on September 17th. here is a link to some key dates:

https://scotiabankgillerprize.ca/news...

message 2: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments So many possibilities this year-I guess Ondatjee will be on the list-but there seems to be so many new great titles coming out-who knows who will make the list this year.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Just visited the Giller site and they are now advertising a contest where the lucky candidate can win all 24 years of the past winners.
The long list will be announced on September 19th-mark your
calendars! I think the jury looks really great this year.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments I'm starting to put together a guess-list of whom I think will make
the Giller long-list. Some of these books are already in stores.
It's just for fun....I'm pretty sure the new Ondatje will make the list,
the new Miriam Toews, the new Lisa Moore collection of short
stories, certainly the new Esi Eudgyen (sp?), probably Craig Davidson,probably Claudia Dey,and almost for sure the new Rawi
Hage. I'm pretty sure the new Ondatje and the new Eudgyen are
the front-runners for the prize-but last year I was certain that Heather O'Neil would win (she's on the jury this year) and she
didn't even get nominated! Oh well..it's all for fun.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 929 comments I like your guesses, Alan. I feel completely out of the loop this year in terms of guessing nominees. I have the new Esi Edugyan and Patrick deWitt books on hold at the library and I own the Ondaatje. I just checked out Emma Hooper’s new one, which I didn’t even know was out yet, and realize that I also saw Claudia Dey’s new one at the library. I just hope there will be a surprise like I Am a Truck in store for us this year - a book I really liked that I probably wouldn’t have heard of otherwise.

message 6: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments I forgot about the new deWitt although he wasn't nominated for
his second book, I don't think and I don't know anything about this new one. I still need to read The Sisters Brothers which everyone loved.
the long-list is so long that there are always plenty of surprises and
very obscure titles-and they almost always throw in a translation
from french so there is no way of knowing who is going to make the total list. That's what is so great about the competition as it introduces us to so many books that we wouldn't normally come across.

message 7: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Next monday-Giller longlist-we're almost there!

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) Does happy dance!!!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 929 comments Can’t wait!

message 10: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments What are your guesses? We should have a Giller contest with our guesses and see who’s right?! Ha :)

To be nominated it needs to be a Canadian author and published in the year 2018, yes? Any other Giller criteria?

message 11: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments I like your guesses @Alan!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments Just lifted this from the Giller website @Ann-Marie:

Books must be published in Canada in English between October 1, 2017 and September 30, 2018.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments I’d say we’ll see the new Ondaatje and Toews for sure. I’m hoping for Craig Davidson’s latest as well.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments And the surprises. They’re the best part!

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim (bookgiddy) | 39 comments perhaps Foe by Iain Reid

message 16: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Anne-Marie the Canadian qualification is a contentious one because we all had to swallow Rachel Cusk being nominated last year. But that citation from the Gillers stating that the book has to be published in Canada puts a whole new spin on things. Does that mean Joyce Carol Oates or whomever qualifies,because their books are published simultaneously down south and here.

I’m sure you all know already that the unveiling will be live-streamed on their Facebook page this Monday at 9:30 am. I wonder how many of us will be huddled before our screens in less than 48 hours and pretending to be deep into our work!

message 17: by Alan (last edited Sep 15, 2018 07:00PM) (new)

Alan | 626 comments I’m pretty sure Ondatje will be on the list,if not that will be the news of the day. Not that I actually read the book,I just have fun with predictions. I’m pretty sure Esi Edugyen is on the list as will probably be Wayne Grady. I’m really looking forward to reading Foe but it might be deemed too commercial. I think the Gillers like to see themselves as a very high faulting crowd.

message 18: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Fifteen minutes and the video feed isn't working......grrrrrrr...this
seems to happen every year...don't they have the money for this?!
Patience...patience...

message 19: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Some suit is talking-no doubt a Scotia Bank type...still no video feed.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments I'm having no trouble on Facebook live....

message 21: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Sep 17, 2018 06:55AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments The longlist is posted now

https://scotiabankgillerprize.ca/the-...

message 22: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments i guessed correctly four of 10...oh well-biggest shock no Ondatje,
I think Esi Edugyen will win the big prize.
Happy reading!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments Alan wrote: "i guessed correctly four of 10...oh well-biggest shock no Ondatje,
I think Esi Edugyen will win the big prize.
Happy reading!"

Yes, I'm surprised by that too.

message 24: by Susan (new)

Susan | 929 comments I was very pleased to see Our Homesick Songs on the long list! And I'm currently reading French Exit, so that is a bonus. It's nice to start off with almost two of the titles already read.

I haven't had much luck with Sheila Heti in the past, but after I finish the deWitt I'm going to tackle Motherhood. Washington Black is out this week in the U.S. and I'm on the hold list at the library, so I'll likely get that soon.

message 25: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Sheila Heti always writes about herself-in the first person-I really
don't want to go near her work but I may try this one. the one that
so far excites me the most is the Lisa Moore, probably because
she seems to be the most traditional. Definitely an out-there list
this year. I still want to read Craig Davidson and Foe because they
seem like a lot of fun.

message 26: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Sep 17, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments The only one I’ve read is French Exit. Going to wait for the shortlist before I begin to tackle the reading.

message 27: by Megan (new)

Megan  | 628 comments There are so many great sounding books that were not on my radar. I'll just be over here adding to by TBR list!

message 28: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Allison what did you think of French Exit?
This is quite the fall for Patrick de-Witt-the film version of Sisters
Brothers opens in a few weeks and the advance word is complete
praise-so it will put him and his book on the radar again, not
that is was a slacker the first time around-and now his Giller nom.
Very happy man I'm sure.

message 29: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments the translation of the Dupont book-can't remember the title-I think it's a book of stories-650 pages (!) is so far nowhere to
be found. Neither my library which has all of the other books (plus a million holds on them already) nor Amazon have it listed
yet. Poor Miriam Toews-I guess the book was too conventional
for this jury. I feel for her.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments Alan wrote: "Allison what did you think of French Exit?
This is quite the fall for Patrick de-Witt-the film version of Sisters
Brothers opens in a few weeks and the advance word is complete
praise-so it will pu..."

It was comical and fun to read, but overall, I didn't love it. A little too satirical for my taste.

message 31: by Susan (new)

Susan | 929 comments Alan, that's weird because the Dupont is available in my library system (in New Orleans!). I'm going to hold off on that one because it sounds a little odd and it's so long.

The dialogue in French Exit is amazing. I'm enjoying it but it may be a little lightweight for the Giller?

message 32: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments A lot of interesting choices!

message 33: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments I went through the past Giller lists of the last 25 years, found that I have read 12/25.... but I have read more of the shortlists than actual winners. I go like the read stamp on the covers ... it has always drawn me to consider a book.

message 34: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4242 comments Mod
It has been an exciting literary day! I have only read Vi, which I really enjoyed.

message 35: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 599 comments @ Susan- Vi is the only one that I have read too! An interesting list from today...

message 36: by Alan (new)

Alan | 626 comments Vi just came in for me at the library but I may have to throw it back into the pond-of course at that point there will be five hundred holds on it. my experience in the past is I put holds on all of
the nominated books and five arrive at the library at the same time.

message 37: by Mj (last edited Sep 18, 2018 06:53PM) (new)

Mj | 1189 comments @ Alan - It believe Vi is less than 200 pages so you may be able to finish it quite quickly.

Am not sure if you are familiar with the "freeze holds" capability that many libraries offer. If your library offers this feature, I highly recommend it. It helps readers manage the number of books due for pick and dates to be returned by. By using it you can stay at the top of the list.....but at the same time.......you can stagger delivery and your reading around your schedule. It's a wonderful feature well worth using.

Hope you enjoy many of this year's Scotiabank Giller books!!

message 38: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) | 121 comments I was THRILLED to see Our Homesick Songs on the Giller Longlist. I knew it was special when I read it!

message 39: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 563 comments I have not read any of them, but have bought Motherhood and Vi( got that one for a steal $2.00 at a used book sale!)

message 40: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1585 comments I have the whole longlist on hold at the library but will be kicking some back tomorrow once the shortlist is announced.

message 41: by Susan (new)

Susan | 929 comments The shortlist has been announced: https://scotiabankgillerprize.ca/2018...

The biggest surprise for me is that neither of the indigenous titles made it through. I've already read 3 of the 5 nominees! I checked out An Ocean of Minutes from the library just in case it made the shortlist, so that will be next for me.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 235 comments I have read one, I have one and one other on hold at the library - although 8 ahead of me. I am glad Washington Black worked out for me for the Bingo square. I quite enjoyed the story. French Exit is next for me.

message 43: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 288 comments While I have not read many of these (YET!), I feel a little disappointed with the short list. The books I was most interested in seem to be those left behind on the long list.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments Songs for the Cold of Heart is proving difficult to source. It's not available online at Chapters or Amazon and there's no eBook available through Kobo or iBooks.

message 45: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 830 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "Songs for the Cold of Heart is proving difficult to source. It's not available online at Chapters or Amazon and there's no eBook available through Kobo or iBooks."

The Paperback is available from Amazon US - New and Used.

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments Thanks @Rainey. I'll take a look.

message 47: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 830 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "Thanks @Rainey. I'll take a look."

NP

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments You can also get it directly from the publisher...if you're so inclined.

http://qcfiction.com/?page_id=5729

message 49: by Natasha (last edited Oct 03, 2018 05:08AM) (new)

Natasha Penney | 786 comments I have to admit I have a REALLY bad track record at matching my life long list picks with the short list. I’m not surprised my first two reads didn't make the cut. But I’m excited to read “Washington Black”.

message 50: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 213 comments Interesting!

I have a bunch on hold too and Motherhood came in today so it's on my list to tackle first.

« previous 1