Great American Read List discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > The Top 40

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 09, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
"The Great American Read has reached TWO MILLION votes in the search for America’s best-loved novel. But it’s still anyone’s game! Below are the TOP 40 BOOKS from the list of 100 that are currently leading the pack. If you don’t see your book, there is still time to change that. You can vote for your favorites each day until Thursday, October 18, 2018 at midnight PT, when voting closes."The Top 40 Books in the Great American Read

Listed in alphabetical order, not by vote ranking:

1984George Orwell
A Prayer for Owen MeanyJohn Irving
A Tree Grows in BrooklynBetty Smith
The Adventures of Tom SawyerMark Twain
Alice's Adventures in WonderlandLewis Carroll
And Then There Were NoneAgatha Christie
Anne of Green GablesL.M. Montgomery
Atlas ShruggedAyn Rand
The Book ThiefMarkus Zusak
The Catcher in the RyeJ.D. Salinger
Charlotte's WebE.B. White
The Chronicles of Narnia (series)—C.S. Lewis
The Clan of the Cave BearJean M. Auel
The Color PurpleAlice Walker
The Count of Monte CristoAlexandre Dumas
The Da Vinci CodeDan Brown
DuneFrank Herbert
Gone with the WindMargaret Mitchell
The Grapes of WrathJohn Steinbeck
Great ExpectationsCharles Dickens
The Great GatsbyF. Scott Fitzgerald
The Handmaid's TaleMargaret Atwood
Harry Potter (series)—J.K. Rowling
The HelpKathryn Stockett
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the GalaxyDouglas Adams
The Hunger Games (series)—Suzanne Collins
Jane EyreCharlotte Brontë
The Little PrinceAntoine de Saint-Exupéry
Little WomenLouisa May Alcott
Lonesome DoveLarry McMurtry
The Lord of the Rings (series)—J.R.R. Tolkien
Outlander (series)—Diana Gabaldon
The OutsidersS.E. Hinton
The Pillars of the EarthKen Follett
Pride and PrejudiceJane Austen
RebeccaDaphne du Maurier
The StandStephen King
To Kill a MockingbirdHarper Lee
Where the Red Fern GrowsWilson Rawls
Wuthering HeightsEmily Brontë

Are your favorites among the current top 40? How many listed above have you read so far? Please share!

message 2: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 11, 2018 10:34AM) (new)

I've read:

1. 1984
2. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
3. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
4. Charlotte's Web
5. The Clan of the Cave Bear
6. The Da Vinci Code
7. Gone with the Wind
8. The Grapes of Wrath
9. Great Expectations
10. The Great Gatsby
11. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
12. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
13. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
14. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
15. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
16. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
17. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
18. The Help
19. The Hunger Games
20. Catching Fire
21. Mockingjay
22. The Fellowship of the Ring
23. The Two Towers
24. The Return of the King
25. Outlander
26. Dragonfly in Amber
27. Voyager
28. Drums of Autumn
29. The Fiery Cross
30. A Breath of Snow and Ashes
31. Where the Red Fern Grows
32. Wuthering Heights

2 of the 3 that I've been voting for are in the top 40:

The Lord of the Rings series
Gone With The Wind

Sadly, Siddhartha is not listed, but I'll continue to vote for it!

message 3: by Andrew, moderator (new)

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
I've read about a dozen of those. Some of my favorites are on there, including the Harry Potter series, Lord of the Rings, The Little Price, and Hitchhiker's Guide.

message 4: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I've read 21 of those books listed. I haven't really been voting, just a handful of times but I'm going to start voting again. It's been a busy August!

message 5: by Toni (new)

Toni Gary I’ve finished 28 of these, and I’m currently reading 6 of these. I’m glad to have this list-I plan to make these my priority. I can’t choose just one favorite yet-I have 4; 3 are on the list: A Prayer For Owen Meany, Rebecca, and To Kill a Mockingbird. I am really enjoying this experience. I have read books I otherwise would have never chosen, and I’ve read books that I’ve been meaning to read for years.

message 6: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Anderson (miss5elements) | 7 comments I've read 16 of them with more to come later on this year. My favorite Beloved didn't make the cut. I'm with Tasha - time to vote more.

message 7: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 28, 2018 02:02PM) (new)

Thank you for sharing, Loretta, Andrew, Tasha, Toni, and Tiffany!

I'm glad, Toni!
When members say things like that it brings a smile to my face. It makes running this group completely worth it, because I feel the same way. I'm really enjoying reading the GAR books, especially the group selections with participating members!

I wonder if PBS will give us another update before a winner is announced. Perhaps, the top 10? I hope so.

message 8: by Carl (new)

Carl | 13 comments I'm surprised ,but not surprised, by a couple of those. I don't know a single person that would say the davinci code was their favorite book ever. And the Stand is one of King's weaker books.

message 9: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 18, 2018 12:17PM) (new)

Carl wrote: "I'm surprised ,but not surprised, by a couple of those. I don't know a single person that would say the davinci code was their favorite book ever. And the Stand is one of King's weaker books."

I've not read enough of King's works to give an opinion of which I think should represent America's best-loved, but I'm curious as to which are your favorites Carl?
If you had to choose one that you believe is the best-written of those you've read so far, which would it be?

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneepearson) | 4 comments Hi Everyone! I'm new here. This looked like a good place to jump into the discussion.

I've read 19 of the top 40 (35 of the top 100). Unfortunately, my favorite, Beloved by Toni Morrison, is not in the top 40, but I'll continue voting for it. I'm also voting for The Color Purple, The Little Prince and Their Eyes Were Watching God.

message 11: by Lavan, moderator (new)

Renee wrote: "Hi Everyone! I'm new here. This looked like a good place to jump into the discussion.

I've read 19 of the top 40 (35 of the top 100). Unfortunately, my favorite, Beloved by Toni Morrison, is not ..."

Hello, and thank you for sharing Renee!
Please feel free to join in any group topics, even if they've been idle for a bit. Ongoing discussions are always welcome.

Also, if you'd like to, you could create a personal bookshelf and list the Great American Read books you've already read and add those you read with the group (and side-reads) as you finish them. It's a nice way for other members to follow your progress and offer encouragement. — How to Create a Virtual Bookshelf and Log

message 12: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Renee wrote: "Hi Everyone! I'm new here. This looked like a good place to jump into the discussion.

I've read 19 of the top 40 (35 of the top 100). Unfortunately, my favorite, Beloved by Toni Morrison, is not ..."

Welcome, Renee! :)

message 13: by Toni (new)

Toni Gary Hi, Rene-I loved The Color Purple. Welcome!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.