Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - General > October 2018 Newsletter (updated 10/13/18)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Oct 13, 2018 09:35PM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
Our 🦇October👻 2018 Group Reads are:

📖General Reads📙

🥇 Snap by Belinda Bauer

Group Discussions:
no spoilers
spoilers permitted

🥈 The Cumberland Killers: A Kentucky Mystery (Kentucky Mysteries Book 2) by James Aura

Group Discussions:
no spoilers
spoilers permitted

🥉 Blood Harvest by Sharon J. Bolton

Group Discussions:
no spoilers
spoilers permitted

🥇 Hallowe'en Party 👻 (Hercule Poirot #39) by Agatha Christie

Group Discussions:
no spoilers
spoilers permitted

🏅Moderator's Choice:

The Quiche and the Dead 🥧(Pie Town Mystery #1) by Kirsten Weiss

Group Discussions:
no spoilers
spoilers permitted

📚Cozy Mystery Series📚

September thru December
Group Discussion: Her Royal Spyness Series

October 2018 thru January 2019
Group Discussion: Murder She Wrote Series

Focus on Agatha Christie

October 4 thru 25: The A.B.C. Murders

Group Discussion:
spoilers permitted

October 26 thru November 30: Three Act Tragedy

Group Discussion:
spoilers permitted

October 26 thru November 30: Ordeal by Innocence

Group Discussion:
spoilers permitted

Focus on Michael Connelly

October 4 thru 25: The Black Echo (Harry Bosch, #1)

Group Discussion:
spoilers permitted

October 26 thru November 15: The Black Ice (Harry Bosch #2)

Group Discussion:
spoilers permitted

🥇 Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi

Group Discussion:
spoilers permitted
The Nominations for November Group Reads are now open and will close on September 30 at approximately 7:00pm MST (UTC/GMT - 7).

General Nominations

Subgenre (Historical) Nominations

Cozy Nominations

November polls will run from October 3rd through October 7th.

message 2: by Nguyen (new)

Nguyen Xuan | 16 comments Thanks, Gem!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "✒️Focus on the Author✒️

Temporarily Suspended"

What happened?

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 30 comments I wondered the same-?

message 5: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Randy wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "✒️Focus on the Author✒️

Temporarily Suspended"

What happened?"

We've had a couple of mods who had life happen to them (death in the family, illness, move, new job, etc.) and I was having a problem keeping up with the Focus Project by myself. I'd love to be able to read all the books the group reads each month but as someone with dyslexia I read slowly and can't always keep up. Additionally, I'm headed in for surgery on October 20 and didn't want to overextend myself. I hope everyone understands.

I will be posting a "Help Wanted" soon to see if any members would like to step in an help out. I'm happy to have a couple of additional mods to help out either permanently or temporarily.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Randy wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "✒️Focus on the Author✒️

Temporarily Suspended"

What happened?"

We've had a couple of mods who had life happen to them (death in the family, illness, move, new job, ..."

Sorry to hear that. :-(

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 30 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Randy wrote: "⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "✒️Focus on the Author✒️

Temporarily Suspended"

What happened?"

We've had a couple of mods who had life happen to them (death in the family, illness, move, new job, ..."

That's too bad, and certainly this group always offers plenty of reading choices, so by all means take care of yourself, Gem!

message 8: by Jenny (last edited Oct 02, 2018 07:06PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hi Susan and Randy - Focus on the Author is up running again. Will continue with Agatha Christie, but we are going to add Michael Connelly. Thanks, everyone for their kind words. The new hostess will be Jenny.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 30 comments That's great news, Jenny, you're wonderful being willing to step up!

message 10: by Veda (new)

Veda  (moonchild63) | 101 comments Absolutely the Best News, I am at sea with the grp reads & nominations 😲 but trying to get the Hang of them.

I want Agatha (as author) to continue, yet am a Michael follower (& fan), as well & I also second the 'sentiments' to/regarding Jenny!🎉

message 11: by Jenny (last edited Oct 15, 2018 06:33AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Veda wrote: "Absolutely the Best News, I am at sea with the grp reads & nominations 😲 but trying to get the Hang of them.

I want Agatha (as author) to continue, yet am a Michael follower (& fan), as well & I a..."

Thanks, Veda - for the kind words.

Veda to help you understand the Groups Reads and Nominations!

Book of the Month (BOTM)

Is the general area were members nominate books that published in paperback in the following genres - crime/mystery/thriller/suspense and the group has not read before. The chosen books are voted on by the members. The winning two books are the group's monthly reads. Nominations are always done a month in advance.

Cozy Mysteries

The moderators notice that some of the members of the Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers group enjoyed reading cozy mysteries, and they never win the general voting for BOTM.

From July 2018 we decided to create Cozy Corner to allow everyone to be able to enjoy the wonderful world of reading in a safe and happy environment.

Veda, remember you do not have to read or discuss all the nominated books.

Veda, please feel free to contacted Gem and any of the other moderators including me if you are having problems.

message 12: by Veda (new)

Veda  (moonchild63) | 101 comments :) & thanks for the info, my main problem is having the time to participate as 'fully' as I would like, but I will contact someone if I do have a problem.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) What happened to the picture of Gene Wilder that used to be at the top of the main page?

message 14: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Randy wrote: "What happened to the picture of Gene Wilder that used to be at the top of the main page?"

Rofl, that wasn't Gene Wilder it was Agatha Christie. Now it is Michael Connelly.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "Randy wrote: "What happened to the picture of Gene Wilder that used to be at the top of the main page?"

Rofl, that wasn't Gene Wilder it was Agatha Christie. Now it is Michael Connelly."

Ooops. My bad. I guess that explains why we never got around to reading Willy Wonka.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.