Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Goodreads Author Page

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Johnson-Klonsky | 25 comments I have tried numerous times in vain to create my Goodreads Author Page. Although my book is published on Amazon, I can't locate it using the search tool. I've tried author, title, genre, ISBN...... I have a profile. Advice?

message 2: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 694 comments Mod
If the book is not on Goodreads yet, then try to either add it manually (sorry, never did that myself so I have no specific advice on that but the FAQ should help) or contact GR staff for help.

For claiming the GR author profile/page, the book needs to be in the library already (hence the above) and then you can go to the book's page and claim the book. By what I was reading, there's a bit of wait time (2-3 working days or so). You need to have your name on GR spelled exactly the same as on the book. If that's all matching, it should be connected to you and you should be 'promoted' to author profile when it passes through.

I hope it helped at least somewhat.

message 3: by Bolivar (last edited Aug 09, 2018 03:24PM) (new)

Bolivar Beato (bolivarbeato) | 4 comments I had a similar problem last year and I believe I goggled "create goodreads author page" and it led me to goodreads author page faq. I was able to resolve it there. But Tomas is correct, I believe your book has to be added first.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Rebecca Shaw | 12 comments I found my books don't show up unless there is a sale of them on Amazon. Free giveaways count.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Goodreads scrapes information from Amazon, but if this is your first book, it may take a lot longer to show up. Users used to be able to add books, but that was 5+ years ago, when everyone had librarian status. Once your book is added and you are able to claim your author profile, you will have the ability to add your own books going forward, but you can't add your first. You'll need to contact support to have them do it.

message 6: by Micah (new)

Micah Genest | 12 comments Join the Goodreads Librarian Group, then ad a post and ask a librarian to add your book. They are quick.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna Johnson-Klonsky | 25 comments Tomas wrote: "If the book is not on Goodreads yet, then try to either add it manually (sorry, never did that myself so I have no specific advice on that but the FAQ should help) or contact GR staff for help.

Fo..."

Thanks so much. It's my first book. I'll get it more time.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna Johnson-Klonsky | 25 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I found my books don't show up unless there is a sale of them on Amazon. Free giveaways count."

Thanks! Interesting. My paperback was released on Amazon on 8/7. The E-Book is available by pre-order and won't be released until 8/21. Perhaps, Amazon doesn't populate the title until both are released.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna Johnson-Klonsky | 25 comments Micah wrote: "Join the Goodreads Librarian Group, then ad a post and ask a librarian to add your book. They are quick."

Really great info. I'll do a search for how to join the Goodreads Librarian Group.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna Johnson-Klonsky | 25 comments Donna wrote: "Micah wrote: "Join the Goodreads Librarian Group, then ad a post and ask a librarian to add your book. They are quick."

Really great info. I'll do a search for how to join the Goodreads Librarian ..."

I joined the group.

message 11: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 694 comments Mod
Donna wrote: "Thanks! Interesting. My paperback was released on Amazon on 8/7. The E-Book is available by pre-order and won't be released until 8/21. Perhaps, Amazon doesn't populate the title until both are released."

Books are not added to Goodreads automatically, as far as I know. They need to be added - either by a user, the author, the librarians or the staff. Then, editions need to be added as well (though adding another edition to any existing book should be much easier).

As for joining the librarians' book, just find them in the group list, joining is auto-accepted. Then find the correct section in their discussion and request adding the book. List a link to Amazon, ASIN (for an e-book) or ISBN (if you have one) and possibly the other data you might want to have added like page count, release date, language. Series' name as well if it's (or will be) part of one.

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna Johnson-Klonsky | 25 comments Tomas wrote: "Donna wrote: "Thanks! Interesting. My paperback was released on Amazon on 8/7. The E-Book is available by pre-order and won't be released until 8/21. Perhaps, Amazon doesn't populate the title unti..."

Thanks! I will go back and add all the information you suggested.

message 13: by Dwimirnani (new)

Dwimirnani (moxi) | 5 comments Hi,

I had the same issue last month then google the issue. You can add your book manually by typing your book title on the search box, then click ‘See all results’.

It will direct you to the search page, then you can see on the top right ‘Manually add book’ and ‘Import books’. You can add your book(s) from there.

To fill the complete description and picture, you need to be registered as a librarian. Just follow the directions on the web, it’s very easy :)

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Fishell | 26 comments Goodreads found one of my titles on Amazon, but I had to list the other one manually, even though I used the same process for publishing both of them. You could try contacting Goodreads customer service, but my experience with them is that they are verrrrrrry slow to respond.