Why Christianity? discussion

Major topics > Do people assume everyone who says they are a Christian actually is?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle | 469 comments Mod
I keep meeting folks who apply the term CHRISTIAN to anyone they choose. How specific is it?

message 2: by Rod (new)

Many church goers: "there may have been a somewhat wise guy called Jesus that I don't mind so much."

Is that enough?

message 3: by Charlet (new)

Charlet | 3 comments NO. I do not think that if u say it it is enough. You have to fully believe it. Some people say they are "Christians" and yet believe gay is ok...

message 4: by Rod (new)

But how exacting must we be?

Can a Christian struggle with numerous issues?
To me: Gay and Charismatic are very similar issues of the flesh. As is people who don't believe the bible is the word of God.
But those 3 issues aren't always so black and white. Many congregations hear ludicrous sermons supporting a total lack of discernment? Hellworthy, maybe not.

message 5: by Cherie (new)

Cherie | 18 comments Well it does say in the Bible “many will say Teacher teacher but I will not know them”- something like that. It stands to reason the Prince of this World would like to twist the truth in just the smallest ways that make people not followers of Christ. In fact, I imagine it would be easier for Satan that way! If someone thinks they are a Christian yet definitely are not, they are “safer” from God than an atheist who is unsatisfied and looking for the actual truth.

message 6: by Cherie (new)

Cherie | 18 comments Following the admonishment of “do not judge”, when I encounter someone who claims to be a Christian I assume them as such. And then when they make a statement that is blatantly un biblical it is then my duty as a fellow Christ follower to admonish them and seek to set them on the right path. We can’t tell the “heathens”/non believers what to do but we should be invested in the lives of other ppl claiming to be Christians and confront them with their own sins. Cuz you see, it’s not the doing it stuff that makes you a Christian, but if you really believe in Christ, wouldn’t you want to do everything He asks of in the Bible? Everything He wants you to do is for your own benefit! Life is kinda like your growing phase before Heaven! Doesn’t everyone want to become as much like Christ as they can?

message 7: by Rod (new)

Thanks Cheries. Good Stuff. Indeed, God disciples His own. With the help of brothers and sisters

message 8: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 10, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Rod wrote: "I keep meeting folks who apply the term CHRISTIAN to anyone they choose. How specific is it?"

In my experience the typical liberal, non-Christian, view is that a person is a Christian when/if they say they are. Period. Which is why they often have a tendency to attribute blame to Christians erroneously.

Many Christians may hold a similar view. Others will give the benefit of the doubt until/unless there's reason to think otherwise.

We know that being a Christian takes more than merely claiming to be, and that many make that claim who are not actually Christians. This includes those who both are knowingly deceptive as well as those who may sincerely believe they are a Christian and yet are not.

Another example, people from Islamic countries tend to consider Americans "Christians" simply because we're American.

Personally, while I may give benefit of the doubt pending further info, I do not make assumptions ;)

message 9: by Rod (new)

I make the odd assumptions and then poke.

I assume Christians would love to chat about their saviour And His Word. Not often...

message 10: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Rod wrote: "I make the odd assumptions and then poke.

I assume Christians would love to chat about their saviour And His Word. Not often..."

Assumptions often turn out to be incorrect ;)

message 11: by Rod (new)

I wish. Sure would be easier on my heart.

message 12: by Rod (new)

My assumptions are ODD though. I'm okay with that.

message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Rod wrote: "My assumptions are ODD though. I'm okay with that."

No response I have to that comment is positive in nature ;)

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - I seem to remember Jesus saying that the meek and the poor in spirit along with other misfits who believed in him had a rosy future within the Kingdom. I think that includes people with ODD assumptions - I sure hope so, as many of my outlooks aren't necessarily mainstream.

message 15: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 10, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Robert wrote: "Rod - I seem to remember Jesus saying that the meek and the poor in spirit along with other misfits who believed in him had a rosy future within the Kingdom. I think that includes people with ODD a..."

I my experience it's not the meek nor poor in spirit that are prone to making assumptions. I'll also point out that assumptions and outlooks are two different things.

But certainly making assumptions isn't an issue of salvation, I don't think anyone has made that claim.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Everyone makes assumptions, Alexandra - don't feed me the phony "above it all" stature of the self-righteous.

message 17: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 98 comments Robert wrote: "Everyone makes assumptions, Alexandra "

Typically when people make claims about "everyone" what they really are doing is acknowledging they themselves do it and want to believe it's something "everyone" does.

"don't feed me the phony "above it all" stature of the self-righteous. "

That's pretty ironic coming from you ;)

message 18: by Rod (new)

Sure, we critique, judge a little, profile. But we aren't in a place to fully condemn.

We are in a place to Hope and pray.

I'm just slightly surprised how few people know what a Christian is. I'm still hearing that Hitler and Darwin were Christians.

message 19: by Rod (new)

And then there’s the United church.

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - what United church?

message 21: by Rod (new)

Apparently any of them. What do you think? Is there a good one (by my bible believing standards?)

message 22: by Robert (new)

Robert Core | 303 comments Rod - that's a tough one. There are churches that take the Bible literally, but they tend to throw in other non-scriptural beliefs like don't drink, don't dance, and whatever you do.............don't ever, ever laugh. I think you fail the last point!

message 23: by Rod (new)

Have you seen me dance???

We’ll have a pint together and demolish the other law.