What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction: Beautiful woman kills sister with boiling laundry water

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sjmacd (new)

Sjmacd | 1 comments Searching for a novel I read in the 1970s or 1980s about a family of beautiful women, and one of them in particular. I believe it's set in in the late 19th century in rural America. This family is famous for its beautiful women; artists frequently come to sketch them. The main character accidentally kills a younger sister who pulls over onto herself (I think) a giant vat of boiling water for laundry. It's quite a long novel; I remember a long description about the main character painstakingly cleaning her dress with a bottle of drycleaning fluid. Author's first name may be Susan? Main character may go try to be an artist herself??

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Sjmacd ~~
You've given some great details...
You can bump your thread every thirty days or so to move it back to the top of the folder. More eyes will see your thread, and surely someone will know it!

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35179 comments Mod
Sjmacd, did the story take place well after the American Civil War?

How does the family earn a living? Do they own a farm or ranch? Who are their parents?

Is romance an important part of the story? If so, who are their romantic interests?