Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > Time to take stock. where is feminism now

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ross (new)

Ross | 1444 comments I thought now would be good time to evaluate where we in Feminism in the world today.

1. Are we winning.
more people call themselves feminist openly now than ever.

We have recognisable intersectional feminist champions and spokespersons

more and more groups side with feminists ideas. inclusiveness is seen every march and protest.

Gay and trans people have seen real equality. Intersex people are now recognised for themselves not as sub group or aberration.

metoo and timesup changing world view pf women and how they should be treated.

2. Where I see challanges.

Rise of right wing philosophy. religious intolerance.

loss of ground in abortion rights in many countries.

politician's using race and greed openly to talk to the lowest common denominator, fear.

3. This is in the form of a straight question.
Do you as a feminists feel more or less empowered than you did before all this change.

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1085 comments Mod
Could you define for me the goals of feminism?

"Winning" here is awfully subjective.

message 3: by Pam (last edited Aug 10, 2018 02:50AM) (new)

Pam | 1085 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Pam wrote: "Could you define for me the goals of feminism?

"Winning" here is awfully subjective."

To me, the goals of feminism are to promote and work towards social, political, and economic equ..."

Exactly. Feminism is an idealogy. 'Winning" or "loosing" depends on the individual's perceptions and their prioritiy.

Even our "spokespeople" have received huge backlash when they have commented on feminism from places of privledge and not from unqiue perspectives. Or they outright alienate some people.

So comment all you want on winning or losing but feminism is a movement that is going to span generations and we will never see 100% saturation in our world population.

message 4: by Susan (last edited Aug 11, 2018 10:47AM) (new)

Susan Edelman (beyourownbrandofsexy) | 45 comments Ross,

I'm not sure that more people identify as feminists.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...

Feminism has a bit of an identity problem. Many women don't identify with the label because they see it as adversarial to men. I've been on some chat rooms where the men refer to feminism as a hate group against men. I am a feminist, but some of the quotes I've seen by prominent feminists make this kind of critique easier to understand.

When you're not sure if feminism is accepting of men, it's a problem.