Play Book Tag discussion

Beartown (Beartown, #1)
This topic is about Beartown
Archive: Other Books > Bear town by Frederick Backman - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8535 comments I just loved this! Backman is an amazing writer. He has the capacity to capture a mood like no other. And pull on your heartstrings in such a particular way. Stayed up all night to finish it, as it was un-putdownable! Loved it! Five stars from me.

Without spoilers, I did want to comment on a few things. That one of the clear themes in the book is men growing into themselves, and what it takes to be a man. Relationships with mothers, wives, sons and daughters, friends, teammates was paramount here. I loved that each of the characters had to grapple with themselves in one way or another. For just a stunning few, there was no grappling at at all. The same could be said of a few of the women, but the effect on the men was stunning and profound.

And my sobs? Where was I most tugged? Without question it was the power and purity and strength and deep commitment of the 15 year old friendships. And in a few cases, how that affected or was reflected in Maya's relationship with her mother Kira. So many of the young men and women in the book were extraordinary, and I loved watching the older generation either see it, or come to see it and be forever changed.

Truth be told? I didn't like the character Ana in the least - wasn't drawn to her at all, nor liked her, not until I was full on sobbing on page 222. That is the power of great writing - when the characters surprise you (or themselves). But in this case, their true characters became revealed to me over time, and I was beyond moved. A great read and still teary this morning.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments So glad you liked this. I rated it 4 stars.

Love this quote:
"So even Sune finds himself wondering: what are principles worth, if you don’t win?”
The reverse could easily be the moral: "What is winning worth if you have no principles?"

message 3: by Nicole R (last edited Aug 09, 2018 06:14AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments I always enjoy Backman's writing, but this one was not my favorite due to the subject matter. I do hope his next book tackles a different subject so I can go back to loving his books!

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments You loved it. Woohoo. And Us Against You is on par with Beartown.

annapi | 4986 comments One of three (so far) 5-star reads for me this year!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Glad you loved it. I'm reading the sequel now, almost done. I wasn't loving some aspects of the book at first but it's taking a different tone right now, so it's growing on me.

Susie | 4488 comments Great to hear that you loved it Amy. I did too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Beautiful review. I love how much it touched you. It’s on my list.:)

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8535 comments So far Rachel I’ve never led you wrong.

message 10: by Karin (last edited Aug 10, 2018 04:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karin | 7018 comments I gave this one 5 stars, but at first though it would be 4--I'm not surprised you liked it.

Ellen | 2143 comments A five star read for me, too. As was "Us Against You".

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "So far Rachel I’ve never led you wrong."

You haven't Amy. I've moved it up higher on my list. I'm hoping for next month.

Karin | 7018 comments Rachel wrote: "Amy wrote: "So far Rachel I’ve never led you wrong."

You haven't Amy. I've moved it up higher on my list. I'm hoping for next month."

I also gave it 5 stars.