Richard III discussion

Book Discussions > The Lodestar Pamela Belle

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (last edited Sep 22, 2009 11:02AM) (new)

Misfit | 1139 comments Mod
I just started this today and I'm loving it. Christopher Heron takes service with Richard when still Duke and he apparently raises very far indeed.

Christopher is not your pure as the driven snow hero, and I just loved the touch of the thieving urchin Perkin he picked up and kept as his servant.

Lots of dry wit and humor that has me laughing out loud. The Lodestar by Pamela Belle

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianwainwright) | 149 comments This is one of my favourite Ricardian books, though it seems to be 'below the radar' and not to have received the recognition it deserves.

Pamela Belle has written quite a lot of novels but they're nearly all around the time of the (English) Civil War. Nothing wrong with them, but The Lodestar is better, IMHO.

message 3: by Misfit (new)

It's a shame her books are out of print. I went and ordered all except for the two my library had. I love the Civil War and Restoration period. I had finished The Moon in the Water prior to this and it's fun seeing some familar family names and places popping up.

I'm looking forward to how she works Christopher into the mystery of the princes in the tower.

message 4: by Nell (new)

Nell Corkin | 13 comments I read this book on your recommendation, Brian, and liked it very much. Thanks! Found it on Alibris.

Nell

message 5: by Claire (new)

Claire | 38 comments I am so glad these books are finding a wider readership.I first read a library copy
about 15 years ago.It was one of the first books i bought from amazon when I realized all the potential of the 2nd hand market.
certainly one to keep
Stumpy

message 6: by Misfit (new)

I just checked the prices on Amazon and Abe and can't find anything in the US under $20. Yikes, glad I got a copy when I did.

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments the library has a copy of this one.
I got Wintercombe for four bucks at Half.com yesterday

message 8: by Misfit (last edited Sep 22, 2009 11:44AM) (new)

I'm pretty sure you're going to like both a lot. It's interesting comparing used prices on rarer books. It pays to shop around.

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb | 145 comments It always pays to shop around!