Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > October 2018 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Aug 08, 2018 09:34PM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers,

Nominations for our October theme of Halloween, Spooky, Horror, Gothic are now open. To ensure your nomination will be included in our poll, please make sure it conforms to the following guidelines:

📌AUTHORS please note: We DO NOT accept nominations of your own work. Please see our Author Guidelines for more information. You are, however, welcome to participate in the nomination (of another author's work), polling, and book discussions in general.

📌Only members who have actively participated in prior book discussions will be permitted to nominate books for the following month. If you have recently joined the group, please do participate in the current month's discussion so you qualify as a valid nominator. A more thorough explanation can be found here .

✔️ You may nominate one (1) book. PLEASE NOTE: By entering a nomination you are agreeing to act as our Book Discussion Leader for that book if it wins. Don't worry it is neither difficult nor time-consuming and the moderators are here to help in the event that you need a hand.

✔️ Your nomination should be in the crime, mystery, or thriller genres or their subgenres.

✔️A book is only eligible if it is available in paperback and digital formats in the US/Canada and UK/Australia. We recently discovered that many books are released in the UK/Australia months before they are released in the US/Canada. Please understand we are trying to give all our members the opportunity to participate in our book discussions. We don't want to exclude a significant portion of our members because they do not have availability to the book nominated.

✔️ You may nominate any book that is in a series, it does not have to be the first book.

✔️ To ensure your nomination is included in our poll correctly, do include the name of both the book and the author. You are welcome to use the "add book/author" tool, which is located above the right upper corner of the comment window when you nominate your selection.

✔️ Post your nomination as a comment in this discussion. Do not notify the moderators of your selection by way of a private message, if you do you run the risk of your book not being included in the poll.

If you have any questions, you can leave a comment in this discussion or send me a private message directly.

The nomination period will close on Sunday, September 2 at approximately 7:oo pm MST (GMT/UTC −07:00).

Polling will begin on Wednesday, September 5.

Thank you and happy reading!

message 2: by Jamie, Moderator (last edited Aug 09, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 157 comments Mod
I nominate House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

The story remains unchanged, focusing on a young family that moves into a small home on Ash Tree Lane where they discover something is terribly wrong: their house is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

message 3: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Aug 12, 2018 03:39PM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
I nominate Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #1.)

Every city has secrets. But none as terrible as this. His name is Deucalion, a tattooed man of mysterious origin, a sleight-of-reality artist who’s traveled the centuries with a secret worse than death. He arrives as a serial killer stalks the streets, a killer who carefully selects his victims for the humanity that is missing in himself. Detective Carson O’Connor is cool, cynical, and every bit as tough as she looks. Her partner Michael Maddison would back her up all the way to Hell itself–and that just may be where this case ends up. For the no-nonsense O’Connor is suddenly talking about an ages-old conspiracy, a near immortal race of beings, and killers that are more—and less—than human. Soon it will be clear that as crazy as she sounds, the truth is even more ominous. For their quarry isn’t merely a homicidal maniac—but his deranged maker.

message 4: by Sévérin (new)

Sévérin Grimm (svrin) | 462 comments The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2) by J.D. Barker by The Fifth To Die by J.D. Barker

In the thrilling sequel to The Fourth Monkey, a new serial killer stalks the streets of Chicago, while Detective Porter delves deeper into the dark past of the Four Monkey Killer.

Detective Porter and the team have been pulled from the hunt for Anson Bishop, the Four Monkey Killer, by the feds. When the body of a young girl is found beneath the frozen waters of Jackson Park Lagoon, she is quickly identified as Ella Reynolds, missing three weeks. But how did she get there? The lagoon froze months earlier. More baffling? She’s found wearing the clothes of another girl, missing less than two days. While the detectives of Chicago Metro try to make sense of the quickly developing case, Porter secretly continues his pursuit of 4MK, knowing the best way to find Bishop is to track down his mother. When the captain finds out about Porter’s activities, he’s suspended, leaving his partners Clair and Nash to continue the search for the new killer alone.

Obsessed with catching Bishop, Porter follows a single grainy photograph from Chicago to the streets of New Orleans and stumbles into a world darker than he could have possibly imagined, where he quickly realizes that the only place more frightening than the mind of a serial killer is the mind of the mother from which he came.

message 5: by Christine (new)

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Jamie wrote: "I nominate House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

The story remains unchanged, focusing on a young family that moves into a small ho..."

I don't think we need seconds in this group, but I'll second this one anyway.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I nominate:

Sacrifice by Hanna Winter
Sacrifice by Hanna Winter

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) On behave of "Kris" I nominate:

The Bone Field ( The Iron City Mysteries Book 1) by Leonard Krishtalka
The Bone Field by Leonard Krishtalka

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments I nominate SNAP by Belinda Bauer

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan | 30 comments If nominations are still open, I would nominate The Broken Girls, it definitely fits the theme and is quite a book!

message 11: by Luci (new)

Luci (luciskydyme) | 19 comments New one just out that I plan to read:
The Cumberland Killers: A Kentucky Mystery

message 12: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Are nominations still open? If so, I nominate Edge of Dark Water by Joe R. Lansdale.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments If nominations are still open, I nominate Blood Harvest, by Sharon Bolton.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Black (lisablackauthor) | 15 comments I’ll third House of Leaves!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.