Play Book Tag discussion

Where the Crawdads Sing
This topic is about Where the Crawdads Sing
Archive: Other Books > Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (last edited Aug 08, 2018 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy D | 3417 comments Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens - 4 stars

Set mostly in the 1950’s and 1960’s, this book is historical fiction about a girl growing up in poverty in the marshes near the coast of North Carolina. As a child, Kya is abandoned by her mother and older siblings, leaving her in the hands of an abusive alcoholic father. She is eventually left to her own devices to survive in a primitive shack in the wetlands. She is befriended by a black couple who own a store, and a young man who teaches her to read. She collects specimens and develops a keen interest in the animals and plants of the natural world. A second storyline revolves around the mysterious death of local young man with ties to “The Marsh Girl.”

This book brings the marsh to life through lush descriptions of the flora, fauna, sights, sounds and smells. Richly detailed, it is obvious the author loves nature. It is told in dual timelines, one revolving around Kya’s life story and the other around the investigations into the mysterious death. These timelines eventually coincide, and the interconnections are revealed.

I particularly enjoyed the first half of the book, which focused on Kya’s early life, her struggles, and coming of age. She is a memorable and sympathetic character who struggles with competing fears. She lives in isolation and longs for companionship. She fears getting too close to people due to her abandonment issues. I was less enthusiastic about the second half, where the storyline morphed into a crime procedural. I am not an expert in this area, but it didn’t quite gel for me.

Content warnings include descriptions of abuse, profanity, sex, racism, and harm to animals. I think this book will appeal to a variety of interests: Recommended to fans of storylines involving nature, coming of age, mysteries, crime procedurals, human behavior, or character studies.

Many thanks to the publisher via NetGalley for an advance reader's copy in exchange for a candid review. Release date is August 14, 2018.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I do not think I saw your review when you posted it! I also just finished this and thought it was very good. It is actually Reese Witherspoon's September selection for her Hello Sunshine book club.

****SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER*****

Was it just me or did you think that the murderer was going to be Tate at the end?!?! I totally thought that was a plausible ending, but when the author didn't go there, then I saw the "twist" at the end coming.

Joy D | 3417 comments Nicole R wrote: "I do not think I saw your review when you posted it! I also just finished this and thought it was very good. It is actually Reese Witherspoon's September selection for her Hello Sunshine book club...."

Yes, I had the same feeling as you did, Nicole.