Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders
This topic is about Helter Skelter
Archive - General > Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi - Sept & Oct 2018

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Oct 08, 2018 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi and your hostess is Gem.

Due to the length of this book we will be reading it over a two month period.
Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter The True Story of The Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi Helter Skelter The True Story of the Manson Murders by Vincent Bugliosi

A national bestseller — 7 million copies sold. Prosecuting attorney in the Manson trial, Vincent Bugliosi held a unique insider's position in one of the most baffling and horrifying cases of the twentieth century: the cold-blooded Tate-LaBianca murders carried out by Charles Manson and four of his followers. What motivated Manson in his seemingly mindless selection of victims, and what was his hold over the young women who obeyed his orders? Here is the gripping story of this famous and haunting crime.

Helter Skelter won an Edgar Allan Poe Award for best true-crime book of the year.

message 2: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi folks I'm Gem and will be leading this discussion throughout September and October. Given this is a true crime, I'm not sure if we want/need to worry about spoilers? What do ya'll think?

Denise Mullins | 516 comments While it seems unlikely that a person might not have heard of the Manson Family, the trail is included in the book. Since it contains some pretty interesting facts, those might be viewed as spoilers.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Black (lisablackauthor) | 15 comments There are so many details about this story that are fascinating. But I don't want to blurt them out--even though they're not really important to the actual crime--until we decide about spoilers.

message 5: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa wrote: "There are so many details about this story that are fascinating. But I don't want to blurt them out--even though they're not really important to the actual crime--until we decide about spoilers."
I don't think we'll worry about spoilers this time and see how it goes. If at the end of this book those who participated have strong feelings we'll decide then.

I just starting this book... I'm so far behind this month I think I'm out in front, lol.

Carolyn | 13 comments I just started the book and have to say, it really draws you right into it. Knowing who did it and why makes it even more chilling.

message 7: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am ready to start this book, I thought I had a digital copy but now I can't find it so I ordered a copy from the library. Such a joy kill, lol.

message 8: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've read the first two parts. I'm really surprised with what an easy read this is. There are a lot of details but I feel like I'm able to keep them lined up. I do love the list of Cast of Characters at the beginning in case I'm not sure of a name. I'm getting ready to start "The Investigation" and to see how Vincent Bugliosi begins to investigate the case and get it ready to take to trial.

I'm amazed at how you the member of The Family are, some of them being as young as 17 or 18. I had no idea, it's crazy scary the amount of influence Manson had over his followers. Even more scary to think of it from a parent's perspective.

David (david_poole) | 4 comments I wasn't born until about twelve years after these murders were committed. I had a general awareness of the crimes (I mean, who hasn't heard of Charles Manson?) but I had no idea about so many of the details of the case as I'm reading them now. It's amazing to me that a man so small in stature could become someone that inflicted so much fear into so many people.
It also surprised me how inept a lot of the police officers seemed to be, especially the detectives investigating the Tate case (before they realized that the Tate murders and LaBianca murders were connected).

message 10: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

David wrote: "I wasn't born until about twelve years after these murders were committed. I had a general awareness of the crimes (I mean, who hasn't heard of Charles Manson?) but I had no idea about so many of t..."

I was three when all this happened, I understand where you are coming from. I "knew" and assumed as fact a lot of the rumors that apparently were going around then and were untrue like the killers were high and Tate's baby was removed from her body.

I too was struck by the ineptness and, from in my opinion, an almost lackadaisical attitude of the police officers. I just finished the section about Susan giving Grand Jury testimony and Vince Bugliosi touches bases with the police investigators to follow up on a list of things he asked them to do and only one item was completed.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Black (lisablackauthor) | 15 comments I think young people have always been particularly susceptible to ‘guru’ types, cult leaders, gangs, because they’re looking for a purpose, someone to tell them they’re special, for a place to belong, and they don’t have the experience to recognize complete BS when they hear it.

message 12: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa wrote: "I think young people have always been particularly susceptible to ‘guru’ types, cult leaders, gangs, because they’re looking for a purpose, someone to tell them they’re special, for a place to belo..."

I can't say I disagree.

message 13: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've finished. My edition has an afterword by Bugliosi that was written 25 years after the fact. It was interesting to see how the lives of those involved changed (their beliefs, attitudes, philosophies) over time.

It was also good to separate the rumors from the reality of things. I am amazed at all the rumors, half-truths, and just plain falsehoods I've heard about over the years. It was eye-opening to read this book.

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary Sundell | 66 comments I read this years ago when it was first released in paperback. It is still one of my favorite non-fiction books. The tv miniseries based on yhe book starring Steven Railsback as Manson is also top notch.

message 15: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gary wrote: "I read this years ago when it was first released in paperback. It is still one of my favorite non-fiction books. The tv miniseries based on yhe book starring Steven Railsback as Manson is also top ..."

Good to know, thanks I'd love to see it.