Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1)
This topic is about Death of a Gossip
Archive - Group Reads > The Death of a Gossip by M.C. Beaton (spoilers) - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Aug 09, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Gem  | 1250 comments Mod
Hello fellow CozyMystery readers! This discussion is about Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth #1) by M.C. Beaton, your host is Jenny.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip (Hamish MacBeth Mystery) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) by M.C. Beaton Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth) by M.C. Beaton

Summary

Scottish highland village cop Hamish Macbeth must find which target was provoked enough to strangle and drown nasty fat widowed tabloid reporter Jane Winters, who revealed many others' guilty secrets.

Much is from the viewpoint of a naive secretary seduced by a blue-blood playboy. Icy blond beauty, aristocratic Priscilla Halburton-Smythe, lends a hand.

message 2: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2018 06:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Icewineanne | 651 comments Mod
This series is so very popular. I’ve been meaning to read this 1st book for years now. So I’m glad you chose this as September’s book Jenny, otherwise I might have gone another 10 yrs before I finally read this.

It was a very quick & enjoyable read. I loved all of the zany characters - and I especially liked that Beaton kept her focus on the mystery & not on Hamish’s personal life (that’s what I enjoy about a well written cozy.......the MC really doesn’t have any angst or personal demons that their struggling with).

Liked it so much that I’ve begin reading Death of a Cad, the second in the series 😊

Susan | 30 comments I enjoyed this book too, very similar thoughts to yours, Icewineanne..... I do hope though to learn a little more about Hamish in the next book or two, as he somehow seemed a little bland or faded here compared to the other characters. Some cute scenes with him and Priscilla. I will probably read more of this series.

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Sep 11, 2018 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne wrote: "This series is so very popular. I’ve been meaning to read this 1st book for years now. So I’m glad you chose this as September’s book Jenny, otherwise I might have gone another 10 yrs before I fina..."

Thanks, Icewineanne. I have not read any of M.C. Beaton books. However, I am looking forward to reading this one.

message 5: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Icewineanne | 651 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Icewineanne wrote: "This series is so very popular. I’ve been meaning to read this 1st book for years now. So I’m glad you chose this as September’s book Jenny, otherwise I might have gone another ..."

Thanks for suggesting this series Jenny!
(BTW-Death of a Cad is good too)

Carolyn | 12 comments I always enjoyed this series and Agatha Rasin's series! I read it so long ago, it's been really enjoyable to pick up and read during the hurricane. I realized I totally forgot who had done the murder and just enjoyed getting to know Hamish again, try to figure out the killer and enjoy all the characters. I agree with those who noted that he's not very well sketched out here. You really learn more about him as the series goes on.

Ninna | 32 comments One of my favorite cozy authors of all time! I picked up Skeletons in the Closet at a bookstore many years ago which was a rare stand alone novel of Beaton's. After reading the first page and laughing out loud in the store, I picked up an Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth book and have been reading them ever since! I love the towns and the crazy characters. I prefer Hamish to Agatha but really enjoy them both. She has also written 4 books of an Edwardian murder mystery under this name which was very fun too. I have never read any of her regency romance books penned under her real name, Marion Chesney, but I'm sure they would be enjoyable too. So glad you picked one of my favs!

Carolyn | 12 comments I haven't read her Edwardian or the Chesney books. I'll have to be on the lookout for them!

Ninna | 32 comments I have also gotten into the habit of re-reading A Highland Christmas every holiday season for the last few years. It is even shorter than a regular Hamish book and I wasn't sure if she could pull off a "murder mystery" and it fit a holiday theme well. Instead it has several little mysteries, none of them involve murder, but all of them are tied up neatly with a sweet holiday feel. I highly recommend it.