Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Net Galley vs Promo (which has proved more valuable)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Arnold (cmarnold) | 3 comments For those that use Net Galley, do you find having your book listed there has garnered you more attention/sales/reviews than other means of promotion? Or less? I've been seriously considering listing a title on Net Galley, but the price tag of $450 for six months keeps making me pause. I know I could join a co-op and list for less, but I think I'd prefer remaining in control of the account. Would it be wiser to invest that money in various promo runs/giveaways/freebies/etc? Just looking for opinions and experiences from other indie authors. I apologize if this exact question has been asked a zillion times. Feel free to redirect me to an old post.

-C.M.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Pudsey | 3 comments I put my book in a co-op NetGalley for 1 month. They set everything up and all I had was the link to see the page. After, they gave me a summarized report of everything which was very detailed. Overall I gained 18 more reviews, some good, some not, with many still pending (~130 in total). Most were on NetGalley but a few popped up on Amazon- thankfully just the good ones. I got extra sales for the 2nd book. Some of the readers reviewed through their blogs and social networking sites. So... for me it worked in getting attention and reviews. All their friends see their review posts so I get some shares and marketing from them. And a whole host of quotes I can use for social marketing. I'd recommend using a co-op, let them take care of the organising, and put the rest of your money in other marketing like Amazon AMS or cheaper coop giveaway programs. Problem is, giveaways don't always mean reviews. And free downloads don't bring reviews. For me anyway. But NetGalley definitely did.

message 3: by C.M. (new)

C.M. Arnold (cmarnold) | 3 comments Rachel wrote: "I put my book in a co-op NetGalley for 1 month. They set everything up and all I had was the link to see the page. After, they gave me a summarized report of everything which was very detailed. Ove..."

Thanks for the info, Rachel! So with the co-op you didn't have any say in who was approved for your book and who was denied, correct? I think I've siked myself out reading people's horror stories about Net Galley reviewers getting overzealous in their requesting and ending up with books that aren't their preferred genre...therefore making a low star rating or DNF likely.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Forrest | 14 comments Commenting to follow this thread. I'm definitely interested in any recommendation that isn't so cost prohibitive! I don't quite understand what a co-op is though?