Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus (spoilers) - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:30PM) (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus, your host is Niteesh.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.

Summary

The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars, One of Us Is Lying is the story of what happens when five strangers walk into detention and only four walk out alive. Everyone is a suspect, and everyone has something to hide.

Pay close attention and you might solve this.

On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention.
Bronwyn, the brain, is Yale-bound and never breaks a rule.
Addy, the beauty, is the picture-perfect homecoming princess.
Nate, the criminal, is already on probation for dealing.
Cooper, the athlete, is the all-star baseball pitcher.
And Simon, the outcast, is the creator of Bayview High's notorious gossip app.

Only, Simon never makes it out of that classroom. Before the end of detention, Simon's dead. And according to investigators, his death wasn't an accident. On Monday, he died. But on Tuesday, he'd planned to post juicy reveals about all four of his high-profile classmates, which makes all four of them suspects in his murder. Or are they the perfect patsies for a killer who's still on the loose?
Everyone has secrets, right? What really matters is how far you would go to protect them.

message 2: by Danny (new)

Danny Tyran (danny_) | 135 comments Hello friends!

We'll be reading this book that seems great. I hope we'll enjoy it.

message 3: by JJ Lite (new)

JJ Lite (swantastic) | 1 comments I have just started reading this, after having it on my “to read” list for ages. The way it has been likened to the Breakfast Club made me feel a bit apprehensive, as that is in my top favourite films and believe it didn’t need to be improved.

However now I am 15% in, and it’s has taken a life of its own. Rather than a re working of the film.

message 4: by Cherry (new)

Cherry (bookwormdiva) I read this a month or two ago. My 17-year-old son did, too, after my recommendation. Definitely a page-turner and yes, JJ Mac - it's like the Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars.

message 5: by Ninna (new)

Ninna | 32 comments I really enjoyed this book but I did guess the twist. This is a spoiler thread so I guess I can just say it (I'm always gun-shy about that because I hate spoiler reveals!). I guessed it was actually a suicide and that the jock was somehow involved but I didn't guess the extent of his role. It was a good "locked-room" mystery, though. I also thought it was really poignant when they talked about how they thought Simon's eye said he really wanted to live afterall and wanted help but it was too late. The breakfast club was also a fun gimmick that was used well and not too "gimmicky." I gave it 3 stars (it's really 3.5 - give us 1/2 stars please, GR!) only because I figured it the surprise ending.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1202 comments I started this afternoon. So I'm new to the whole plot. It starts out well.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 30 comments This was a fun, easy read, I thought, and I actually liked all the main characters (except Simon & Jake, I guess.... I didn't care for Jake even when he & Ally were still dating.) I was excited about being pretty sure about the last 1/4 of the book of Simon's involvement (tho I couldn't have guessed about Jake). I enjoyed it.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 30 comments Whoops, I meant Addy, not Ally!