Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
This topic is about Orphan X
Archive - Group Reads > Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz (spoilers) - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1250 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Orphan X (Orphan X #1) by Gregg Hurwitz, your host is Danny.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
Orphan X (Evan Smoak, #1) by Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X (Evan Smoak, #1) by Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X (Evan Smoak, #1) by Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz Orphan X (Orphan X, #1) by Gregg Hurwitz

Summary

The Nowhere Man is a legendary figure spoken about only in whispers. It's said that when he's reached by the truly desperate and deserving, the Nowhere Man can and will do anything to protect and save them.

But he's no legend.

Evan Smoak is a man with skills, resources, and a personal mission to help those with nowhere else to turn. He's also a man with a dangerous past. Chosen as a child, he was raised and trained as part of the off-the-books black box Orphan program, designed to create the perfect deniable intelligence assets—i.e. assassins. He was Orphan X. Evan broke with the program, using everything he learned to disappear.

Now, however, someone is on his tail. Someone with similar skills and training. Someone who knows Orphan X. Someone who is getting closer and closer. And will exploit Evan's weakness—his work as The Nowhere Man—to find him and eliminate him. Grabbing the reader from the very first page, Orphan X is a masterful thriller, the first in Gregg Hurwitz's electrifying new series featuring Evan Smoak.

message 2: by Summer (last edited Sep 04, 2018 11:54AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Summer (paradisecity) | 37 comments I read this book last year, I believe, and I wanted to like it so badly. Unfortunately, for me it was pretty unremarkable: an awesome spy dude lives his unbelievably awesome spy life while women fall at his feet through no effort of his own. There was so much male fantasy fulfillment that it was really hard to get through in the end.

The plot was such an interesting idea, but I think another author would do it better justice.

PattyMacDotComma | 166 comments I just finished it and wrote a review which doesn’t have any spoilers. It wasn’t as good as I’d hoped, but I’m reliably informed the series gets better. I think I explained myself more or less in the review. I found Too much that made me have to suspend disbelief in order to enjoy the ride. Suturing up his own gut wound and then getting back into the fray so soon was too much.
Here’s my review link https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Jenny (diggensjenny) I finished this book, and I was disappointed with the characters and the plot. I was unable to engage with this book it was to slow, and parts of it were too unbelievable. For example when Evan gets hurt and still goes into a meeting with blood on his sleeves.