Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #15)
This topic is about The Lincoln Lawyer
Archive - Group Reads > The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly (no spoilers) - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - added it

Gem  Paullin | 1290 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller #1) by Michael Connelly, your hostess is Skye.

Please note no spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.
The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer A Richard and Judy bestseller (Mickey Haller Series) by Michael Connelly

Summary

Mickey Haller has spent all his professional life afraid that he wouldn't recognize innocence if it stood right in front of him. But what he should have been on the watch for was evil.

Haller is a Lincoln Lawyer, a criminal defense attorney who operates out of the backseat of his Lincoln Town Car, traveling between the far-flung courthouses of Los Angeles to defend clients of every kind. Bikers, con artists, drunk drivers, drug dealers - they're all on Mickey Haller's client list. For him, the law is rarely about guilt or innocence - it's about negotiation and manipulation. Sometimes it's even about justice.

A Beverly Hills playboy arrested for attacking a woman he picked up in a bar chooses Haller to defend him, and Mickey has his first high-paying client in years. It is a defense attorney's dream, what they call a franchise case. And as the evidence stacks up, Haller comes to believe this may be the easiest case of his career.

Then someone close to him is murdered and Haller discovers that his search for innocence has brought him face-to-face with evil as pure as a flame. To escape without being burned, he must deploy every tactic, feint, and instinct in his arsenal - this time to save his own life.

Beth  (techeditor) | 1006 comments THE LINCOLN LAWYER’s ”Lincoln lawyer” is so named because his office is the back seat of his Lincoln. His real name is Michael (Micky) Haller.

This defense lawyer believes everyone is guilty but defends them just the same. And his clients almost always get away with it or at least have their sentences greatly reduced. But he worries that he will not recognize innocence when he sees it.

Haller thinks his current client, Louis Roulet, will bring him lots of money. Roulet is very rich and is accused of rape and attempted murder. He insists he’s innocent in spite of evidence to the contrary and will not agree to plead guilty for a reduction in his sentence.

So it looks like this case will go to trial. Haller loves it; that means more money.

In the meantime, though, Haller not only finds more evidence of Roulet’s guilt; he also sees the difference between guilt and pure evil. And he finds there was a time when he did not, in fact, recognize innocence.

This Michael Connelly book is so different from his other two books I read, I wouldn’t have thought they were by the same author. I wasn’t impressed with those others so wouldn’t have bothered reading this one except that this movie was coming out at that time I read the book. I enjoy movies based on books I’ve read.

I was more pleased with THE LINCOLN LAWYER than I expected.

David Freas (quillracer) | 2235 comments I read it shortly after it came out in paperback but only after much debating whether I should read it or not. I couldn't imagine this book being the equal of Connelly's Bosch series.

I was surprised. I loved it and now I read every Haller book as soon as I can get may hands on it.

And the movie was almost as good as the book. Whenever it's on, I watch it again.

Bicky | 35 comments I would highly recommend this book even to those who do not like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books because despite being a defence lawyer Haller is a very likeable and decent person!

Maureen Carden | 121 comments The idea behind being a Lincoln lawyer was fascinating. I don't remember reading if this type of "office" actually existed or if it was a concept invented whole hat by Connerlly.

Bicky | 35 comments Connelly says that the novel was inspired by a chance meeting and a conversation with an attorney at a baseball game. I have taken that to mean that such an office actually existed.

Skye | 200 comments Greetings, everyone!
I was very surprised while reading this book. Michael Connelly is one of my favorite authors; I adore his crime and police procedural novels; however, I was unprepared by The Lincoln Lawyer, despite the fact that I have previously read other books about Mickey Haller. It was very different in structure, tone, and persona. For others who adore Harry Bosch, what is your opinion?

Skye | 200 comments Beth wrote: "THE LINCOLN LAWYER’s ”Lincoln lawyer” is so named because his office is the back seat of his Lincoln. His real name is Michael (Micky) Haller.

This defense lawyer believes everyone is guilty but ..."

I agree completely!

Summer (paradisecity) | 37 comments I really like this series. I've read/listened to this one a few times and the story keeps my interest even though I know how it'll turn out. The writing is tight, the characters have depth, and the case itself is pretty twisty.

I will say, though, that this is the first time I've noticed the audiobook narrator. He has a bad habit of reading all the female characters like they're whiny or nagging, which I could really do without.

message 10: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments Summer, how interesting; I have never listened to an audio book, but I know many who do and enjoy them.

Aditya | 1869 comments Read everything by Connelly, I believe The Lincoln Lawyer has a claim for being one of his top 3 books. Unfortunately Haller series never really took off like Bosch which is a pity as this one was pretty good. Also the movie was nice.

message 12: by Skye (last edited Sep 05, 2018 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments Adutiya, I adore Harry Bosch, but there are also some relatively good Harry Haller books, as well---[book:The Brass Verdict; however, I also like the Jack McEvoy books as well as some of his standalones.

Aditya | 1869 comments I have read everything by Connelly including The Poet, it is excellent. But don't really like his more recent stuff, he is too generic now. Talking of Harry-Haller book, the one I liked the most was The Crossing probably. The one where Bosch was working for the defense lawyer, interesting to see the usual formula/ dynamic being completely changed for Bosch.

message 14: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments I'm not sure if I read The Crossing, but it does sound good. Bosh is so very unlike an attorney, so they must have made a great pair. The Poet was great, and I haven't even read his most recent works. I thought it was due to discovering other writers I also liked. I have a hard backed novel I bought two years ago and never even opened.

Summer (paradisecity) | 37 comments Good point, Aditya. I’ve tried a few of the Bosch books and I’ve never been able to get into them. There’s something about Haller that makes him a more interesting character and I was disappointed when this series didn’t take off. I’m crossing my fingers there might still be another Haller book or two in the future.

message 17: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments You could always contact Michael Connelly and tell him.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I'm in for this one. I started last night and read the first couple chapters. It hooked me right away. I haven't read any of the Bosch books but I've been meaning to get around to them.

message 19: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments This book seems to be liked by everyone, Randy, and welcome to the group. I am a very big Harry Bosch fan, and I think you may like him, too. Connelly has a unique way of giving the reader a continuing back ground story about Bosch, which makes him vulnerable yet understandable and likable.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Skye wrote: "This book seems to be liked by everyone, Randy, and welcome to the group. I am a very big Harry Bosch fan, and I think you may like him, too. Connelly has a unique way of giving the reader a contin..."

Thanks Skye!

Aditya | 1869 comments Skye wrote: "The Burning Room"

The Burning Room was pretty average, get to it if you love Bosch but not something I will rush to. I think the best Connelly books are Bosch #3-#6, The Poet and this one.

Aditya | 1869 comments Summer wrote: "Good point, Aditya. I’ve tried a few of the Bosch books and I’ve never been able to get into them. There’s something about Haller that makes him a more interesting character and I was disappointed ..."

Bosch is a bit too dry for some people and Connelly is not known for either rich prose or wit that you find in better crime authors, so I know a few people who struggled to get into Bosch. His procedural details however feels really well researched, if you are a fan of the genre you might give early Bosch another shot.

Haller on the other side is a more fun character and easier to get into but a defense lawyer needs to be in a morally murky area. IMO that is the area which Connelly struggled in with the Haller sequels, he is one of those uber-bestsellers so he really had to keep things populist. He actually found some success with Haller, I thought he won an Edgar or Dagger or some other notable award for its sequel The Brass Verdict. I remember it cause I was shocked that he got one for such a generic book when he had much better quality of work behind him.

message 23: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments Randy wrote: "Skye wrote: "This book seems to be liked by everyone, Randy, and welcome to the group. I am a very big Harry Bosch fan, and I think you may like him, too. Connelly has a unique way of giving the re..."

Randy, I am so glad you like the book!!!

message 24: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments I adore Bosch, but maybe that's because I began reading him first, and sadly for me, I read him out of order.

message 25: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments I am truly thrilled you liked my choice!!! Mickey Haller is a great character, and I find rather an interesting one.

Jenny (diggensjenny) I do love the Bosch series. However, Mickey Haller is the complete opposite to Bosch even though they are half-brothers. Something about Mickey Haller that I have no other option but fall in love with this lovely sweet and gentleman.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1239 comments I just started this morning.

message 28: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments Jenny wrote: "I do love the Bosch series. However, Mickey Haller is the complete opposite to Bosch even though they are half-brothers. Something about Mickey Haller that I have no other option but fall in love w..."
They are incredibly different in EVERYTHING! Haller is more self-assured and has different talents. Bosch always carries pain and hurt.

message 29: by Skye (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skye | 200 comments Linda wrote: "I just started this morning."

Enjoy it. Linda!

message 30: by Paty (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paty Nady | 7 comments Quillracer wrote: "I read it shortly after it came out in paperback but only after much debating whether I should read it or not. I couldn't imagine this book being the equal of Connelly's Bosch series.

I was surpri..."

The MOVIE? There is a MOVIE? Is it the same tittle? I'm sooo going to look for it!!

David Freas (quillracer) | 2235 comments Yes, Paty, it has the same title and starred Matthew McConaughey, Ryan Phillippe, and Marisa Tomei. And it 's one of the few movies I've seen that followed the book very closely.

Summer (paradisecity) | 37 comments Skye wrote: "They are incredibly different in EVERYTHING! Haller is more self-assured and has different talents. Bosch always carries pain and hurt."

I think you hit the nail on the head here. That whole detective with a rough life who carries pain and probably abuses substances and has at least one ex-wife trope is so tired. Male characters are far more interesting when they can handle their lives like adults than when they're sulky teenagers, and Bosch had that kind of Eeyore feeling to me.

Curlyhair | 44 comments I read this a while back, as I’m a fan of Michael Connelly. I love all of his characters and Mickey Haller is no exception. This is a great read, for anyone who likes a good decent crime story with depth.
Amanda

Jenny (diggensjenny) I am glad you enjoy it, Amanda.

Curlyhair | 44 comments Jenny wrote: "I am glad you enjoy it, Amanda."

Defo, thanks. I’m interested to see what his new female character is like too.